How To Apply For A Newborns Social Security Number
To apply for your childs Social Security number you must complete a birth registration form. When completing this form, you must check a box to request a number for your child. It is also necessary to provide the parents Social Security numbers.
You may be wondering where do you get the birth registration form. Most hospitals will distribute the birth registration form after a child has born and while the mother is still a patient. If the birth did not occur at a hospital or for some reason the birth registration form was not completed, new parents can visit a local Social Security Administration office and request the number in person. If this were the case, you need to do the following:
- Fill out the Form SS-5 and provide the parents Social Security numbers
- Provide at least two documents that prove your childs age, identity, and citizenship status. One of these documents should be your childs birth certificate, and the second document can be a medical record or the hospitals birth record.
- Present proof of your own identity, you may present your drivers license or passport.
After you have submitted the application at the SSA office, your childs Social Security card should be delivered between 6 to 12 weeks. If your child is older than one-year, it can take a lot longer to process your application. This is because the SSA will contact your states department of vital statistics to verify the validity of the birth certificate provided on the application.
How To Apply For A Social Security Number
The easiest way to apply for a Social Security number for your child is to complete a birth registration form, which has a box you can check to request a number for your child. To complete the form, you will need to provide both parents’ Social Security numbers.
For most new parents, it’s easy to obtain the birth registration form, because hospitals usually distribute them while the mother is still a patient.
But if you didn’t deliver your baby in the hospital or if for some other reason you were never given a birth registration form to complete, you can visit your local Social Security Administration office and request a number in person. This process requires you to do three things:
- Complete Form SS-5 and provide both parents’ Social Security numbers on the form. To save time, download and complete Form SS-5 from the SSA website before you go.
- Provide at least two documents proving your baby’s age, identity, and citizenship status. One document should ideally be your child’s birth certificate. The other document can be your child’s hospital birth record or other medical record.
- Provide proof of your own identity. Your driver’s license and passport are both acceptable.
How To Get A Newborn Social Security Number
A newborn Social Security Number is one of the most important documents you can obtain for your new baby. With an SSN, you can enroll your infant in government programs and a medical coverage network. You can also open a savings account for him or her. For these reasons, it is important that you understand how to get a Social Security Number for a newborn.
If you give birth in a hospital, you may be prompted to obtain a Social Security card for your baby by hospital staff. Remember that this is the same as applying for an SSN for your child. This is because the SSN will be printed on your childs Social Security card. This is true regardless of whether you apply for a Social Security card for your newborn baby before you leave the hospital or at a later date in a hospital.
How to Get a Social Security Card for a Baby at the Hospital
You can apply for a Social Security Number for a newborn after you give birth at a hospital. Usually, this option is presented to you when you provide workers with information for your childs birth certificate. If you choose this option, you need to provide SSNs for you and the childs other parent. This is one of the most convenient ways to apply for a Social Security card for a newborn baby.
Can I apply for my baby Social Security card online?
Recommended Reading: What Should A Newborn Schedule Look Like
Apply For A Social Security Number At The Hospital
The easiest way to get your child assigned a Social Security number is to apply shortly after the birth while youre still at the hospital. It doesnt cost anything and most medical providers have the necessary paperwork. During your stay, youll be asked to provide information for your babys birth certificate. At that point, youll also be asked whether you want to apply for a Social Security number for your baby. If you say yes, you need to provide each parents Social Security number.
Procedure For Replacement Of Social Security Card For A Child
You could by no fault of yours lose or misplace the Social Security Card of your child. There is no reason to fret as the process of reapplying for the same is simple and easy. If you have lost the social security card for your child, then follow the below steps to re-apply for one:
1. Gather the following documents for proof
- The document confirming the identity of the child .
- Proof of US citizenship for the child.
- A document detailing the immigration status of the child if the child is not a citizen of the United States.
2. Gather the documents relating to proof of your identity
- Driving license or passport.
- Custody papers if the child is adopted or proof of relationship with the child.
3. Complete the application form SS-5 for a Social Security card.
4. Send the completed form along with the original or certified documents via mail or in-person to the local Social Security Office.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Body Wash For Newborns
Social Insurance Number Newborn Registration
Parents can use the Newborn Registration Service to complete their child’s Birth Registration and apply for their childs Social Insurance Number . With this integrated application, parents no longer have to deal with different levels of government and repeat the same information in separate applications.
When applying through the Newborn Registration Service, you should receive your child’s SIN in the mail within 10 business days from the date your child’s application was processed by the province. If more than 15 business days have passed and you would like to find out the status of your application, contact the SIN program.
You must be the parent of the child and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to use this service. If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may still be eligible but you will need to visit a Service Canada Office to apply for your childs SIN.
This service is available in all Canadian provinces, but is not currently available in the territories. For parents living in the territories, consult Section 3: What you need before you apply for your childs SIN.
For additional information on the Newborn Registration Service, visit your provincial website:
How To Replace Your Childs Social Security Card
Securing your childs Social Security card is an important step in the process, but accidents do happen. If your childs card is lost or stolen, replacements are easy and free. Its important to note that you dont need the physical card. While its helpful to have, its more important to know the number. It rarely needs to be physically shown.
To apply for a replacement card for your child, follow these simple steps:
- Gather your childs documents – First, secure documents proving your childs identity, citizenship, or immigration status. This could be their passport, birth certificate, or other medical records.
- Gather your documents – Next, gather your own documents. Youll need to prove your identity and your relationship to your child.
- Complete the application form – Fill out the application form from the Social Security Administration. This is the same form used when applying for the initial card.
- Submit the form – Either file the form in person at a local Social Security office or mail it to your local center. All documents need to be submitted with the form, and they need to be original or certified.
From there, your local office verifies your documents and application. Your card should be received within ten business days of the date on your receipt. The number on the card is the same as your childs previous card.
You May Like: What Is The Healthiest Formula For Newborns
How To Apply For Your Childs Social Security Number
Applying for the Social Security Number for your baby is easy. You need to provide evidence of your identity and also your babys identity. You also have to submit several acceptable documents that confirm a few details during this process. The following are the steps to apply for a Social Security Number if you have a child in the hospital in the United States:
- Completing a birth registration form. The form has a box to check and you would need to provide the Social Security Numbers of both parents. Most hospitals distribute the birth registration form to the expecting mother.
- While completing the form, tick the option for applying for a Social Security Number.
- Provide the Social Security Numbers of both parents. In case you do not have both, you can provide just one. Submitting just one number also validates your application.
Once the agency receives your documents, the Social Security Number for your child will be sent via mail.
If for some reason you did not have your baby in the hospital or did not get a form to complete, you can visit your local Social Security Administrative office and request it in person. Below are the steps that you would need to follow:
How Long Does It Take To Get My Baby’s Social Security Card That I Applied For In The Hospital
Each state or jurisdiction has different processing times. See the chart below to find out how long your state takes to process the card application. If you waited the indicated length of time and still have not received your child’s Social Security card, visit your local Social Security office. You also can call us at 1-800-772-1213 , 8:00 am 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday. If you live outside the United States, refer to Service Around the World.Keep your child’s Social Security card in a safe place with other important documents. Do not carry it with you.The chart below shows the time it takes for each state to send the application and paperwork to Social Security. Allow an additional two weeks for Social Security to send the card in the mail.Social Security Card Application at Birth: Average Processing Times by State in Weeks For the period 4/1/2021 through 6/25/2021.
Also Check: What To Put On Newborn Dry Skin
Plan For Your Childs Future
Keeping your childs Social Security number secure is an important step toward keeping his or her benefits safe like Social Security benefits for his or her future family. Children grow up fast, and it’s important to think about his or her later-in-life experiences, too.
Its never too early to plan well for yourself as well. Cake can help you store your will, name an estate beneficiary, and secure your legal documents safely online. Cakes free online profile ensures that all of your end-of-life resources are in one place so you wont have to worry about replacing a lost document ever again.
Why Should I Get My Childs Social Security Number
One of the main reasons to get your childs Social Security number after they are born is so that you can claim your child as a dependent on your income tax return . You also need your childs social security card if you are planning on:
- Opening a bank account for your child
- Buying savings bond for your child
- Getting medical coverage for your child
- Applying for government services for your child
Getting a Social Security number for your child is not obligatory, however, applying for one is an easy enough process and will benefit you and your child.
If your child is adopted, the SSA can assign them a Social Security number. You can apply for the number using your childs new name as well as your name and details as a parent.
Getting the Social Security number and card for your child does not carry a cost, in other words, Social Security services are free.
Whether you choose to complete the birth registration form at the hospital, or head to the SSA office later on, you will certainly need an . USBirthCertificates is a convenient and secure way to get your childs vital records.
Read Also: Why Does My Newborn Pass So Much Gas
How Do I Apply For A Social Security Card For My Newborn Born Via Surrogacy During Covid
Providing legal guidance for Florida residents regarding all surrogacy and reproductive technology issues. Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation at 761-2929.
Replacing Your Child’s Missing Birth Certificate
If you have lost a birth certificate, it may take a bit longer to get a replacement. You will need to write or visit the “Registry of Vital Records and Statistics” in the state where your child was born.
In Massachusetts, this office is in Dorchester and charges $18 if you apply in person and $28 if you apply by mail. You can find your child’s birth state office information by searching for “replace birth certificate” online.
Also Check: How To Handle A Newborn