At The Social Security Office
If you did not apply for a Social Security number at the same time you filled out the information for the childs birth certificate, you can do so later at a Social Security office. In this case, you must:
- Complete an application for a Social Security card
- Show original documents proving your childs:
- U.S. Citizenship
You Asked: Do Babies Automatically Get A Social Security Card
Getting a Social Security number for your newborn is voluntary. But, getting a number when your child is born is a good idea. How do I apply? At the hospital: When you give information for your babys birth certificate, youll be asked whether you want to apply for a Social Security number for your baby.
Tips For Applying For The Ssn For The Newborn
- Applying for the SSN is voluntary for newborn babies.
- File for the SSN at the time of birth of the baby. The hospital will take care of everything related to filing for the birth certificate and SSN.
- At the hospital you will be required to fill a document requesting the newborn baby’s birth certificate.
- In the form, there will be an option for applying for a Social Security number for the baby.
- If you write “yes”, you must provide both parents’ Social Security numbers if you can.
- If you do not have these or one of the parents has the SSN and the other does not, you can still apply for a number for your child.
- You will get the Social Security Number for your newborn baby in mail.
Also Check: How Much Formula Needed For Newborn
How To Get A Newborn Social Security Number
A newborn Social Security Number is one of the most important documents you can obtain for your new baby. With an SSN, you can enroll your infant in government programs and a medical coverage network. You can also open a savings account for him or her. For these reasons, it is important that you understand how to get a Social Security Number for a newborn.
If you give birth in a hospital, you may be prompted to obtain a Social Security card for your baby by hospital staff. Remember that this is the same as applying for an SSN for your child. This is because the SSN will be printed on your childs Social Security card. This is true regardless of whether you apply for a Social Security card for your newborn baby before you leave the hospital or at a later date in a hospital.
How to Get a Social Security Card for a Baby at the Hospital
You can apply for a Social Security Number for a newborn after you give birth at a hospital. Usually, this option is presented to you when you provide workers with information for your childs birth certificate. If you choose this option, you need to provide SSNs for you and the childs other parent. This is one of the most convenient ways to apply for a Social Security card for a newborn baby.
Can I apply for my baby Social Security card online?
Applying For An Ssn When Adopting
Even if you adopt a child, you may still have to go through the social security card application process, but it all depends on the situation. For example, if the child you wish to adopt is a U.S. citizen already, they may have an SSN, so you wont have to go through the trouble. If you are adopting domestically instead, and you find out that your child doesnt have the SSN, you can get an ATIN or Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number. This will allow you to claim the child-related tax breaks during the pending adoption of the child.
The IRS Form W-8A, Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions is necessary. Keep in mind that the ATIN will have a 2-year validity, after which you can extend it if the child adoption was not finalized. The ATIN can stop being used once the adoption is final. Then, you can use the typical process for applying for a Social Security number.
Also, if you wish to adopt a child from a different country, it is better to wait until the finalization of the adoption and the childs entrance into the U.S. to get an SSN. Once again, you will have to follow the same application process in this situation.
Recommended Reading: What Can You Put On Newborn Puppies For Fleas
Tips For Applying For An Ssn For A Newborn
Are you having a baby soon and youre thinking about getting a social security card? Here are some tips you should keep in mind:
- You will have to fill a document that requests the birth certificate of the newborn baby at the hospital. In this form, you will have the option to apply for an SSN for the baby too. If you write Yes, it is necessary to offer the SSNs of both parents. You can also still apply for the childs SSN if one parent has the SSN while the other doesnt. When its ready, the babys SSN will be sent by mail.
- It is voluntary to apply for an SSN for a newborn baby.
- It is better to apply for the SSN when the baby is born because the hospital will handle everything.
- Go to to find out the closest Social Security office.
- Complete Form SS-5 if you only file for the SSN later. Also, provide proof of your identity, proof of the babys identity, age and citizenship, and a copy of the birth record.
- Applying for the SSN is completely free.
You May Be Able To Apply For A Replacement Card Online
You can use a to apply for a replacement Social Security card online if you:
- Are a U.S. citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address
- Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card and
- Have a drivers license or state-issued identification card from one of the many participating states or the District of Columbia.
If your drivers license or state-issued identification card was issued by one of the states listed below, this service is not yet available. If your state appears on this list, please check back. We are working to make this service available to additional states.
- West Virginia
This service is also not yet available if your drivers license or identification card was issued by a U.S. territory .
If you are a U.S. citizen, and have not gotten a replacement Social Security card or name change recently, you may not be eligible to use the online replacement card application inmySocial Security.
If you dont have a mySocial Security account, you can create one today. To set up your account, go to:
If you do not qualify to apply online for a card, please follow the instructions in the next section.
You May Like: When To Start Tummy Time Newborn
Replacing Your Child’s Missing Ssa Card
To replace an SSA card for a child if you do not know the child’s number will require documents proving the child’s identity and citizenship. You will also need to prove your identity and relationship to the child.
If you know the child’s social security number but have lost the card, it is simpler. In fact, you may not need to replace the card at all. Call your local SSA office if you are in doubt. The wait time for a replacement card is about ten days from the time they receive your request.
Additional Tips That You Need To Keep In Mind
- In case your child was born outside the US but still has a right to US citizenship through parentage youll have to provide the social security administration with a foreign birth certificate.
- The documents that you provide to prove your childs identity must not be expired, they must show your childs name clearly. It helps to submit a document that also has a photograph of your child. An ID without a photo is also acceptable as long as it gives enough information that can aid the verification process.
- Before issuing a social security number for a newborn the social security administration requires your childs U.S passport but if that is not available they may also accept an adoption decree, a clinic/ hospital record, or a religious record.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Get Health Insurance For A Newborn
How Long Does It Take To Get A Social Security Number For Your Child
Generally, it takes between four to five weeks to receive the Social Security number and card if you had submitted the application at the hospital. However, this might vary depending on the state where you live. If your childs Social Security card has not arrived within six weeks you can head to your nearest Social Security office. You will need to take proof of your childs citizenship, age and identity as well as documents to identify yourself.
A childs Social Security number cannot be give out over the phone, therefore it is necessary for you to go in person, in the case that it has not arrived.
Why Get A Social Security Number For Your Child
In light of recent data concerns, many people might wonder why you need a Social Security number for your child in the first place. Its not required legally, yet many parents apply for this number before leaving the hospital. As we mentioned above, this is an important legal number to have on hand.
The most common reason to apply for this number for your child is for tax purposes. If you want to claim your child on your federal income tax, youll need to provide their Social Security number. Theyre treated the same as any other dependent.
However, this isnt the only reason to secure this number. Other common reasons include:
- Health insurance for your child
- Bank or savings account for your child
- Savings bonds for your child
- Government benefits or services
- Beneficiary purposes if you start end-of-life planning
As you can see, there are a lot of reasons to start this process for your child. Applying for a Social Security number for a newborn or even an adopted child is easier than you think. With just a few short steps, theres no reason not to get a number for your child.
Create a free Cake end-of-life planning profile and instantly share your health, legal, funeral, and legacy decisions with a loved one.
» MORE: Create one for free with Cake.
Don’t Miss: How Many Ounces Should A Newborn Baby Eat
What Can New Parents Do If They Have Not Yet Received The Social Security Number For Their Newborn Child Should We Reapply
Hospitals routinely provide the paperwork necessary to get a Social Security number issued to a newborn. Do not reapply unless you have first determined that the Social Security Administration needs you to do so.
To check on the status of the issuance of the babys Social Security number, you should contact your local Social Security office by searching on or by calling the national hotline at 1-800-772-1213.
If the Social Security Administration requires you to refile and instructs you to do so, the form and instructions are available online at www.socialsecurity.gov. DO NOT give in to scams that solicit in the mail, online, or by phone to get a newborns Social Security number issued for a fee. You should never pay money to get a newborns Social Security number, and these solicitations are frauds.
Were collecting feedback on FAQs. Please complete this quick survey to help with our continual improvements.
How To Get Your Newborns Social Security Number And Card
Fill out the Form SS-5 and provide the parents Social Security numbers. Provide at least two documents that prove your childs age, identity, and citizenship status. One of these documents should be your childs birth certificate, and the second document can be a medical record or the hospitals birth record.
Don’t Miss: How To Reduce Newborn Spit Up
How To Get Your Child A Social Security Number
Congratulations! Youre the proud parent of a newborn bundle of joy. Many things are swirling through your head right now, especially if this is your first child.
Acquiring a Social Security Number for your child is probably not near the top of your priority list, and it probably shouldnt be but dont let a Social Security number slip through the cracks. An SSN provides an important identity reference for your child throughout his or her life, and you may need his or her SSN for tax purposes, medical coverage, and government services.
The simplest way to acquire your childs SSN is to fill out a birth registration form. Normally, you will be provided a form at the hospital while the mother is still registered as a patient. Simply check the box on that form requesting a SSN and provide the Social Security number of both parents. If a parental Social Security number is unknown, you may still apply for a number for your child.
Your childs Social Security card application will be processed within one to five weeks, depending on your state. Allow another two weeks for the card to arrive in the mail.
If you were unable to fill out a birth registration form at the hospital for any reason, you can apply for your childs Social Security Card at your local Social Security Administration office by filling out Form SS-5.
How To Receive Federal Benefits
To begin receiving your federal benefits, like Social Security or veterans benefits, you must sign up for electronic payments with direct deposit.
If You Have a Bank or Credit Union Account:
If You Dont have a Bank or Credit Union Account:
- Direct Express debit card a pre-paid debit card. Get help by calling the Go Direct Helpline at .
Make Changes to an Existing Direct Deposit Account:
Learn how to make changes to an existing direct deposit account. You also may contact the federal agency that pays your benefit for help with your enrollment.
You May Like: How Often Should I Breastfeed My Newborn