How To Mix And Handle Formula
- Check the expiration date on the container. Don’t use if the formula is past this date.
- Wash the top of the new container before opening it.
- It is important that you follow the mixing directions on the can. Your baby can get sick if you use too much water or not enough water.
- You may use city water to mix concentrated or powder formula. You may use well water if you boil it before using.
- Heat the water to a full boil for at least one minute.
- Pour the water into a clean container and cover it. Keep it in the refrigerator.
- Use the water within three days of mixing formula.
Thinking About Feeding Your Baby
When youre pregnant, its good to think about how you want to feed your baby once they’re born.
For some mums there are many things to consider, like your cultural beliefs, personal circumstances, and your own physical and mental wellbeing.
Talk to your partner, family/whnau, and your midwife or maternity carer about it, and have a plan so they know how they can help you
If you want to breastfeed and youre having trouble, call PlunketLine any time on .
Using Formula When Youre Out And About
Measure the right amount of cooled, boiled water for one feed into a cleaned and sterilised bottle and place the cap on tightly. Put the right amount of formula powder into a cleaned and sterilised container. It might be a good idea to bring an extra bottle of water and enough extra powder , just in case.
Its safest to only add the formula powder to the water only when your baby needs a feed.
You May Like: How Much Oz Of Formula Should A Newborn Drink
Amount Of Formula Required
From five days to three months, a full-term, healthy baby will need about 150 ml of prepared formula per kilogram of body weight, every day. For example, a baby who weighs 3 kg will need 450 ml of prepared infant formula each day.From three to six months, this falls to 120 ml of infant formula per kilogram of body weight each day. From six to 12 months, it falls again to between 90 and 120 ml of infant formula per kilogram of body weight each day.Premature babies need more formula. At first, they usually need about 160180 ml of formula per kilogram of body weight per day. Your neonatal doctor or maternal and child health nurse will advise you.See your doctor or maternal and child health nurse if you are worried about your babys appetite or growth.
How Do I Bottle Feed My Baby
- Cuddle or hold your baby close. Your babys head should be higher than their body. Support your babys head to make it easier for them to swallow
- Let your baby decide how much they would like to drink. Do not rush them or force them to finish the bottle
- Hold the bottle so most of the nipple is in the babys mouth
- Tilt the bottle just a little, keeping it almost flat. Its easier for your baby to manage the flow of formula. Some air in the nipple will not cause a problem for your baby
- Gently burp your baby after feeding. If they have a lot of gas, burping your baby half-way through feeding may help
- Do not prop the bottle or put your baby to bed with a bottle. Your baby may drink too much or too little and it can cause choking, ear infections and tooth decay . For more information, see HealthLinkBC File #19 Dental Care for Your Infant and Toddler
- Your baby might try to hold the bottle but will not be able to feed themself until later in their first year. When your baby can feed themself, try offering the formula in a cup
Read Also: What Causes Eczema In Newborn Babies
When Nursing Isnt Possible
Doctors agree that the best option for baby whenever possible is to breastfeed. Unfortunately, this isnt always an option.
As a doula, Ive seen many times that a mom could have nursed but chose not to. Ive also seen cases where mom wanted to but had a physical problem that prevented her from doing so. Ive also seen babies who were unable to nurse for one reason or another.
When breastfeeding is truly not possible, there are a few other options.
In past generations, wet nurses and milk donors often nursed these babies until they were old enough to eat. Eventually, crude substitutes were created or different types of animal milks were used. Now, the infant formula market is a multi-billion dollar a year industry.
Heres the problem
Most commercial formula options, even organic ones, contain ingredients, additives and preservatives that arent good for baby. Emily of Holistic Squid explains the ingredients in one of the best store-bought organic baby formula options:
Other non-organic formula options often contain higher amounts of corn syrup solids, hydrogenated oils, soybean oil and sugar.
In fact, most infant formula contains ingredients most of us would not cook with or use in our own food, yet 1/4 or more of us rely on this as the only source of nutrition for our children in their most important and developmental months/years.
Tips On How To Formula Feed A Baby
Be loyal to one bottle brandIf you find a bottle brand that works for you, it helps to stick with it. That way you wont need to search through mismatched nipples and rings when its feeding time. It also helps with neater storage!
Plan for on-the-go feedingYou wont always be able to prep formula in the kitchen. Pack your baby bag with unopened bottled water and baby bottles with premeasured scoops of powder formula. When its time to feed your little one, add the appropriate amount of water to a bottle, shake, and serve.
Prep bigger batchesInstead of mixing just one bottle of formula every couple hours, save time by preparing a full pitcher in the morning. Keep the pitcher covered in the refrigerator and feed it throughout the day. Just make sure to toss anything thats left the next morning, since prepared powdered formula is to be fed within 24 hours. Follow the label instructions for refrigeration details.
Alternate feeding to get more sleepWhats great about formula is that it makes it easier for mom to get help with feeding. Alternate nighttime feedings with your partner so both of you can get more sleep.
Skip the warming stepSome babies will only drink warm milk, but some babies arent quite as picky. If your baby doesnt mind room-temperature bottles, you can use small, 2-fl-oz bottles of ready-to-feed formula and skip that step.
* No significant difference has been shown between milk derived from rbST-treated and non-rbST-treated cows.
Recommended Reading: How To Help Newborn With Cough
What Is Infant Formula
Although pediatricians recommend exclusive breastfeeding for the newborn’s first six months, there are situations where you may have to give newborn baby formula to your child.
Baby formula is a special dietary product meant for feeding babies. It is usually made from cow’s milk, although you can find goat milk-based baby milk. The animal milk is first treated so that it is suitable for babies. You should not feed your baby regular cow’s milk instead of infant formula – small babies cannot digest untreated cow milk properly, which can lead to health problems. Cow’s milk also lacks the right amount of important nutrients, like vitamin C and iron, which can lead toiron-deficiency anemia. Formulas, on the other hand, are often enriched with iron together with DHA and ARA , fatty acids that support baby brain development.
There are more formula types available on the market – like soy, sheep’s milk, and almond ‘milk’. You can also find baby milk for special tasks, such as extensively hydrolyzed formulas , formulas for premature babies, or formulas that help those who suffer from acid reflux. You should only use special formulas if your pediatrician has recommended them to you. If you think the formula you are currently using is not suitable, talk to your doctor or midwife, and only after that should you try changing the formula.
How To Prepare Baby Formula
Carefully read the directions on the formula tin. Different formulas have different-sized scoops and you make them up in different ways. Make sure you check the use-by date, which you can find on the base of the formula can. If you have formula thats past its use-by date, throw it out.
- Use cooled, boiled water to make up formula. Its a good idea to let the boiled water cool for around 30 mins, so its lukewarm or around room temperature. You can do this in advance, storing the cooled boiled water in the fridge in sterilised bottles until you need them.
- Check the expiry date on the tin, then:
- pour cooled, boiled water into the sterilised bottle. How much you need depends on how much youre making
- following the directions on the formula tin, measure the right number of scoops into the bottle . Level off each scoop before you add the formula to the water. Seal the bottle with a ring and cap
- thoroughly mix the powder and water by:
- tapping the bottle gently on the bench so the powder falls into the water
- swirling the bottle gently
- then giving the bottle a good shake.
- never add anything to the formula to sweeten it
- check the temperature of the formula by tipping a few drops on the inside of your wrist. It should feel lukewarm
- if your baby doesnt finish all the formula, throw it away within an hour.
Writing the date you opened the formula on the lid of the tin may be helpful. Any opened tins of formula should be thrown away after one month.
You May Like: What Do I Need For A Newborn Baby Checklist
The Difference Between Baby Formula And Growing Up Milk
Toddler formula is marketed for kids aged nine months to three years. It is relatively similar to baby formula and mostly consists of powdered milk, vegetable oil, and sweeteners. However, there is one major difference between the two.
Baby formula requirements, composition, and labelling are overseen by the FDA . These requirements do not however apply to growing up milk which means the compositions are varied. Some formulas contain more fat, sodium, and sugar than baby formula, meaning it is not healthy to feed to kids.
What Do I Need If I’m Formula Feeding Away From Home
If you need to feed your baby away from home, take with you:
- a measured amount of formula powder in a small, clean and dry container
- a vacuum flask of hot water that’s just been boiled
- an empty sterilised feeding bottle with cap and retaining ring in place
The vacuum flask does not need to be sterilised, but should be clean, and only used for your baby. The boiling water should kill any bacteria present in the flask. If the flask is full and sealed, the water will stay above 70C for several hours.
Make up a fresh feed only when your baby needs it. The water must still be hot when you use it, to destroy any bacteria in the formula powder.
Remember to cool the bottle under cold running water before you feed it to your baby.
Alternatively, you could use a carton of ready-to-feed liquid formula when you’re away from home.
Read Also: Can You Bathe A Newborn Everyday
How Much Should I Feed My Baby
Every baby is different. In the first few days your babys stomach is quite small. Your baby may only need small amounts of formula at each feeding. As they grow, they may drink more at each feeding and go longer between feedings.
Let your baby decide how much they want to eat at each feed. Your baby will show you they are full by doing any of these things:
- Closing their mouth
- Slowing down or stop sucking
- Turning their head away from the bottle or the person feeding them
- Showing lack of interest in feeding
- Falling asleep
Stop feeding when your baby shows you they are full. Your baby may still have small sucking movements after a feed. This is normal baby behavior.
Once you start feeding, use the bottle within 2 hours. Throw out any leftover formula. Do not reheat formula during a feed or refrigerate a partly used bottle.
Your baby is getting enough formula if they are growing well and have 6 or more wet diapers a day by the time they are one week of age. If you are concerned your baby is not feeding enough, contact your health care provider.
What If I Need To Transport A Made
If it is not possible to follow the advice above, or if you need to transport a feed , prepare the feed at home, cool under a running tap or in a bowl of cold water, and cool it for at least 1 hour in the back of the fridge.
Take it out of the fridge just before you leave and carry it in a cool bag with an ice pack, and use it within 4 hours. If you do not have an ice pack, or access to a fridge, the made-up infant formula must be used within 2 hours.
If made-up formula is stored:
- in a fridge use within 24 hours
- in a cool bag with an ice pack use within 4 hours
- at room temperature use within 2 hours
Don’t Miss: What Do Newborn Baby Chicks Eat
How Do I Know If My Baby Is Getting Enough Formula
Your baby’s weight gain and the number of wet and dirty nappies will tell you whether your baby is getting enough formula.
Your baby should have around 6 wet nappies a day from a few days after the birth. Nappies should be soaked through with clear or pale yellow urine, or feel heavy.
For the first few days after birth, your baby will pass a dark, sticky substance known as meconium. After the first week your baby should start to pass pale yellow or yellowish brown poo.
Your baby will usually be weighed at birth and again at around 5 and 10 days. After that healthy babies only need to be weighed once a month up to 6 months of age.
This information should be entered on a chart in your Personal Child Health Record or “red book”.
If you have any questions or concerns about your baby’s weight gain, speak to a midwife or health visitor.