People Are Starting To Move Away From Oil
can I put acrylic or latex paint on oil paint? oil-based vs. water-based paint
Many people attempt to cover up oil-painted surfaces by painting water-based paints directly on top, totally unaware of the mess that is guaranteed to follow. In the battle of oil-based vs. water-based paint, oil is a rival that will show no mercy.
Because of the harmful VOCs emitted from oil-based paints, the awful smell that can lead to headaches, or the way oil yellows drastically over time, so many people are looking to switch their oil-painted surfaces to water-based paints. But there is so much more to the process than just switching one paint for the other.
Lets just spoil the ending now, its that important you should never cover oil with waterborne paint. Now, lets get you equipped with the correct tools to defeat this oil-based beast.
How Often Does A Newborn Need A Bath
Growing up, you may have heard that babies and children must be bathed daily for optimum cleanliness. However, this isnt the case. Especially with a newborn, bathing daily can actually dry the skin, and irritate it.
Additionally, most newborns do not get very dirty, so its not necessary to fully immerse them in a bath each day or night. You can spot clean any areas of concern in between baths.
For these reasons, most doctors recommend only bathing your newborn baby a few days per week.
AAP recommends bathing your baby no more than three days per week. Of course, even that is not a hard and fast rule.
If you want to bathe your baby more often, thats fine, and if you only bathe your baby one or two days per week , thats fine too!
As your baby gets older and ventures into the toddler years, they are going to get dirtier, because they will be exploring everything and playing outside. Your bathing frequency will likely naturally increase during this time.
Can You Use Latex Paint Over Oil Based Primer
Many homeowners struggle to find a suitable primer and paint for their projects, whether renovating or moving into a new house. If youre painting a wooden object, youve probably heard about using latex paint and oil-based primer together. But can oil-based paints be used with other paint types? Can you use latex paint over oil based primer?
In general, you can use latex paint over an oil-based primer. Its even ideal for projects with bare wood, such as furniture. However, the process is tricky. You must take the time to sand and prepare the surface properly before you start painting for the best results.
In this article, well explain the difference between latex paint and oil-based primer and show you how using the two together is suitable for your project.
Also Check: How Do I Know If My Newborn Is Colic
How Do They Compare To Alkyd Oils
- Alkyd paint dries much faster than water mixable oil colours, touch dry and able to repaint over in 24 hrs.
- Solvents are necessary to thin and clean Alkyd paint
- Ive found Alkyd oils tend to have a thicker consistency and better opacity
- Alkyd paints dry at the same speed
- Some Alkyd mediums contain 2-Butanone Oxime, which is used as an anti-skinning agent in the formulation of the mediums and can cause irritation.
Why Should I Use Oil Based Paint
Heres when and why you should consider using oil based paint vs latex based paints:
There are many advantages to using oil based paint vs latex paint, including but not limited to:
- Oil-based dries much slower, and as a result it provides a smoother and sometimes glossier finish paint.
- Oil based paint dries with a hard enamel that is more resistant to scratches fingerprints, staining, etc. than latex based paint.
- Oil based paint also covers more thoroughly in a single coat. Which means that you could potentially use a lot less paint in the process.
- If you have an existing oil based paint, the best paint to adhere to it is using oil based again. This is particularly important in high traffic areas or doors and frames that are used often.
- If you look at a side-by-side comparison with latex or water based paint, some argue oil based paint simply looks better, more solid, and smoother with more body.
You May Like: What Is Hie In Newborns
Problem : Exterior Wood
Exterior paint takes a beating. And one of the best ways to extend the life of your paint job is with a good primer. So unless you enjoy scraping paint, spend about $30 per gallon on a top-quality acrylic/latex exterior primer.
- Look for 100 percent acrylic on the label, and make sure the wood surface is clean, dry and dull .
- Note: On properly prepared walls, a high-quality primer can double the life of your exterior paint job.
- Pro tip: Use a primer and paint from the same manufacturer. Many primers are formulated to work best with certain paints.
Does Enamel Paint Need Primer
Paint primer serves a few different purposes and should typically be used before painting with enamel paint. Paint primer can help patch up rough spots on the surface you are painting, creating an even surface to apply your paint. One of the contents of paint primer is polyvinyl acetate, which is an ingredient that is also found in carpenter’s glue. Polyvinyl acetate helps primer grab and hold onto the paint. Primer also acts as a neutral foundation under your paint, helping the paint to look more uniform over your surface.
You May Like: How To Make A Newborn Sleep Fast
Safety Tips During Bath Time
Bath time with a baby has its own set of challenges, but with some tips and tricksyoull be a master. Some best practices for bath time for kids include:
- Bathing a baby the right way requires time, so you dont need to rush. Set aside enough time to allow you to get it done without frustration.
- Dont leave your little one alone in the tub bath, even for a second.
- Make sure you have everything you need within your reach before bathing your baby. Set out a towel, washcloth, body wash, shampoo, a cup for rinsing and any other bath time essentials before putting the baby in the bath.
- Not attending to your baby is dangerous. So switch off your phone, as this is not the best time to check your Facebook or Instagram feed.
- Make sure you check the water temperature before putting your baby in the tub. You can use a thermometer or the inside of the elbow or the wrist to test the water, which should be warm and not hot.
- Gently sock up your baby in warm water with shampoo. Make life more comfortable, find a multitasking all-in-one baby bubbles, and wash.
- Keep your baby warm by exposing only the body parts youre bathing to the air.
- Always hold your baby during bath. Use your hands to support the baby head during bath time while your arm should be kept at the back.
When Is The Best Time Of Day To Give Your Baby A Bath
There is no one perfect time to give your baby a bathâitâs your decision. Choose a time when youâre least likely to be interrupted and when your baby is calm.
You may like to give your baby a bath in the daytime because sheâll naturally be more alert. Or, you may give your baby a bath at nighttime as part of her bedtime routine.
If you plan to give your baby a bath after feeding her, wait a while to ensure her tummy has had a chance to settle.
You May Like: What Helps With Constipation In Newborns
Give Only Sponge Baths Till The Umbilical Cord Falls Off
During the first couple of weeks or so, specifically, till the umbilical cord stump falls off, your baby should only have sponge baths. This is so the stump doesnt get wet.
To give a sponge bath: Lay your baby on a flat comfortable surface in a warm room. If the surface is above floor level, place a hand next to the baby to make sure they dont fall. Dampen a clean washcloth with plain water and wash the face before using soapy water to clean the rest of the body. Pay attention to skin creases and do the diaper area last. Keep your baby wrapped up during the sponge bath and only expose the part that youre actively cleaning.2
How To Tell If I Have Oil Or Latex Paint On My Walls
You can perform a simple test to find out if your walls and trim are oil-based or latex paint. You need warm water, soap, and alcohol. Start by washing a spot on the wall or trim with the warm water and soap. You can use a sponge or a soft cloth, and once you wash it, rinse it off. Wait for it to dry, and then soak a cotton ball in the alcohol.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Help My Newborn With Gas
Finding The Best Quality House Paint
The premium line from any manufacturer will almost certainly cover better and last longer than its less-expensive versions. Because the expense of painting is mostly in the labor, it makes sense to buy premium paint. But suppose you plan to move or want to change the color scheme of your home in the next few years. Here’s where you can save with a midlevel paint that’s backed for 10 years or so versus 15 or more for many top-of-the-line paints.
“We find customers really don’t believe warranty claims,” says Lane Blackburn, vice president of architectural marketing for Sherwin-Williams. “But they do use the warranty as a guide to quality.” For example, Ace Hardware, like most retailers, offers two exterior-paint lines: Royal Shield and Quality Shield .
There are other ways to pick quality exterior paint out of a lineup:
Proper pigments. Quality pigments allow a good paint to cover fully with just one coat. Paints with lower-cost pigments often must be applied in several coats. That means more work, which makes buying low-quality paint a poor financial decision. The best pigment is titanium dioxide. Look for it when ingredients are listed on the can.
How Do You Give A Baby A Sponge Bath
Chances are youve never given yourself a sponge bath, and thus, are a little nervous to give one to your baby. Fear not: Sponge baths are very simple. According to the pediatrician, all you have to do is put a little soap on a wet baby washcloth and wipe your baby all over, starting at the head and working your way down. Next, repeat the process with a wet but soap-free washcloth to remove the soap from your babys skin. Voila, youre done.
Read Also: What Causes Gas In Newborns Breastfeeding
Remove Old Peeling Paint
First things first, if you already applied a coat of water-based paint on top of the oil paint then you need to remove it.
The coat of water-based paint will either not stick very long or maybe it already started peeling off. Either way, you need to remove it before you can start preparing the surface properly.
TO remove the previous coat of paint simply use your putty knife to peel it away. The paint should come off relatively easily and without the need for much force.
Remove as much of the peeling paint as possible before moving on to the next step.
What Are The Most Toxic Solvents Used With Traditional Oils
The strongest smelling, most toxic thinner used in the traditional oil painting process is distilled turpentine.
Often called turps, is considered toxic because some of the species of pine trees from which its distilled, can produce a solvent that causes skin irritation and allergic reactions in some people.
White spirit is a petroleum distillate and often used for cleaning artists brushes rather than diluting the paint as it evaporates quicker than turpentine.
Because it has high levels of aromatic hydrocarbons present.its got a harsh aroma but is a strong solvent good for cleaning dried on paint.
Mineral Spirits/ Odourless Mineral Spirits
There are more modern solvents like OMS that also cut through oil paint to make it leaner, they not as strong smelling as turpentine but should still be regarded as solvents.
Sansodor and Gamsol are two common lower odour mineral spirits.
Here is a Safety Data Sheet for Gamsol which shows that it has an Exposure Limit Value higher than most solvents available to artists, which means you can be exposed to it longer. However, its still not recommended to keep unlidded pots of the solvent in confined studio spaces and its not advisable to eat and drink in the same area when painting with mineral spirits.
It has a very low aromatic hydrocarbon content.
When solvents dry, they release Volatile Organic Compounds into the air, the lower, the better.
Also Check: When Does A Newborn Get Shots
How Often To Wash A Newborn According To A Pediatrician
Babies are so cute…but theyre also small and fragile and strange, which is why every aspect of caring for them can feel a bit intimidating, especially if youre a first-time parent. Naturally, you know the basics: Make sure the baby is fed, well-rested, cuddled and clean. But when it comes to that last part, you might have a couple questions. After all, there’s been a big personal hygiene debate going on ever since celebs like Ashton Kutcher and Kristin Bell started weighing in on how often they wash their kids. As such, you might be wondering how often to wash a newborn and, um, how to do it too. Good news: We spoke to Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett, pediatrician and medical consultant for Mom Loves Best, and got the lowdown on what to do and how frequently you ought to do it.
Can You Use A Roller With Oil Based Paint
The answer is yes. You can you all of the same tools with oil based paint that you use with latex paint.
However, you will want to purchase higher end products to apply your paint.
This is because you will be cleaning them with mineral spirits or turpentine and you want the rollers, brushes and trays to be able to withstand the cleaning process.
Recommended Reading: How To Know If Newborn Has Milk Allergy
Rub The Surface With Denatured Alcohol:
- First clean the surfaces well with any household cleaner to remove any dirt
- With a cotton rag or cotton ball, rub denatured alcohol on the surface. If the paint comes off onto the rag, you have a water based paint with an acrylic latex base. If no paint comes off after a second rubbing then you have oil based paint with an alkyd oil base.
Regardless of the type of paint, clean all surfaces very well before painting
There are some significant differences between oil and latex based paints. Top quality oil based paints tend to be very smooth when touched. At the same time, cheap acrylic latex paints can have a more rubbery feel. A cheap oil can take forever to dry and yellow in time while a premium grade acrylic will keep its color and be as hard and smooth as an automobile finish
They key is to buy the proper paint for the intended surface.exterior trim is often best painted with a softer, more flexible water base acrylic so that the paint flexes and moves with the extreme temperature changes Oil enamel can be the preferred choice for s deep glossy look on a protected front door. There is no one paint type that fits all the needs on all the interior and exterior surfaces of a home.