You May Be Able To Apply For A Replacement Card Online
You can use a to apply for a replacement Social Security card online if you:
- Are a U.S. citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address
- Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card and
- Have a drivers license or state-issued identification card from one of the many participating states or the District of Columbia.
If your drivers license or state-issued identification card was issued by one of the states listed below, this service is not yet available. If your state appears on this list, please check back. We are working to make this service available to additional states.
- West Virginia
This service is also not yet available if your drivers license or identification card was issued by a U.S. territory .
If you are a U.S. citizen, and have not gotten a replacement Social Security card or name change recently, you may not be eligible to use the online replacement card application inmySocial Security.
If you dont have a mySocial Security account, you can create one today. To set up your account, go to:
If you do not qualify to apply online for a card, please follow the instructions in the next section.
Why Do You Need One
A Social Security number is important because you need it to get a job, collect Social Security benefits and get some other government services. You should keep your Social Security card in a safe place with your other important papers and avoid giving it out unnecessarily. Keep in mind that in many cases, even if you lost your card, you may not need a replacement. In most cases, simply knowing your Social Security number is enough. But if you do need a replacement, we make it easy.
Getting A Social Security Number For A New Baby
The easiest way to get a Social Security number for your child is at the hospital after they are born when you apply for your childs birth certificate. If you wait to apply for a number at a Social Security office, there may be delays while SSA verifies your childs birth certificate.
Your child will need their own Social Security number so you can:
- Claim your child as a dependent on your income tax return
- Open a bank account in their name
- Get medical coverage for them
- Apply for government services for them
Keep your Social Security card in a safe place to protect yourself from identity theft.
Recommended Reading: How To Calm A Newborn To Sleep
How To Get Your Newborn’s Social Security Number And Card
Welcoming a newborn is often an exciting and happy occasion. There are plenty of things to get ready, and parents might feel that there is not enough time. However, once the child is born, parents do need to take care of a few legal matters as soon as possible . On the one hand, its essential that parents obtain their childs birth certificate. Registering a birth and getting your babys birth certificate is a fairly easy process.
You will need your newborns birth certificate to apply for your childs Social Security number and card. Keep in mind that a persons security number must be protected as it is directly linked to their lifetime earnings, taxes, and more.
Contacting The Ssa By Telephone
Don’t Miss: How To Get S Newborn To Sleep At Night
How To Receive Federal Benefits
To begin receiving your federal benefits, like Social Security or veterans benefits, you must sign up for electronic payments with direct deposit.
If You Have a Bank or Credit Union Account:
- Call the Go Direct Helpline at .
If You Don’t have a Bank or Credit Union Account:
- Direct Express debit card – a pre-paid debit card. Get help by calling the Go Direct Helpline at .
Make Changes to an Existing Direct Deposit Account:
Learn how to make changes to an existing direct deposit account. You also may contact the federal agency that pays your benefit for help with your enrollment.
Where Can I Find My Social Insurance Number
- On your SIN card or confirmation letter: Service Canada used to issue SINs in plastic card format, however presently, they are issued in paper format. Check your records for either your card or confirmation letter.
- On CRA documents: Your SIN is used to identify you with the Canada Revenue Agency so youll find your SIN number on the first page of your tax returns and on any other documents or correspondence from the CRA.
Recommended Reading: What To Do When Newborn Has Gas
Fill Out An Application
Log onto the Social Security Administration’s website. You can also retrieve your SSN through this website but for security reasons, the SSA will send you a new card rather than provide the information online. The Resources section contains a link where you can fill out the application. Answer the required questions and attach any documentation as proof of your identity. You must be a U.S. citizen age 18 or older to use this service, and you’ll need a U.S. mailing address to receive the new Social Security card.
Your Baby’s Birth Certificate And Social Security Number
After your baby is born, the hospital staff will gather information to complete the birth certificate and send it to the state health department.
The procedures for getting a copy of your baby’s birth certificate depend on the county in which your baby is born. Ask your birth center staff how you can get a copy of your baby’s birth certificate. .
On the birth certificate questionnaire is a question asking if you want to apply for a Social Security number for your baby. Although your baby doesn’t legally need a Social Security number for one year, now is the easiest time to apply for one.
Any child older than one year old who is listed as a dependent on a tax return is required to have a Social Security number. You will also need your baby’s Social Security number to open a bank account, buy savings bonds, or apply for government services for your baby.
Read Also: How To Know If My Newborn Has Gas
Social Security Services While Abroad
As an American abroad, you will work through the US consulate or consular Federal Benefits Unit serving your region. To locate the appropriate FBU, you can check the website of the Social Security Administration at this link: www.ssa.gov/foreign/foreign.htm
Q1. I have my SSN.
You are all set to file taxes, get your passport renewed, etc.
Q2. I remember my SSN, but no longer have the card.
This is not a problem unless the you are requested to provide a photocopy of your original card. If called upon to produce one, you can apply for a replacement card, and the Federal Benefits Unit for your region can supply you with a letter saying that you have applied for it.
Q3. I used to have one, but I cannot find it and dont remember the number.
Check first via the Federal Benefits Unit serving your region. These can be found listed here: www.ssa.gov/foreign/foreign.htm
The FBU may perhaps confirm if a SSN has been issued to you however they are not permitted to transmit this number to you, either over the phone or by letter. The procedure in this case is to apply for a replacement card by postal mail using the approprite form. You can leave the space asking for the SSN blank.
Q4. I dont know if I ever had a Social Security Number. How do I find out?
Check via the Federal Benefits Unit serving your area . With the data you provide them, they can inform you if a number has ever been issued to you.
Q5. How does one apply for a replacement SSN card?
How To Get Your New Babys Or Older Childs Social Security Number
According to the Social Security Administration, the easiest time to get your newborn a Social Security number is while you are still at the hospital, when you give information for your childs birth certificate. If you wait longer, you will have to apply for a number at a Social Security office, which could result in delays while the birth certificate is verified.
The Social Security Administration states that you will need a Social Security number to claim your child as a dependent on your income tax return each year. A Social Security number is also important if you plan to:
Open a bank account for your child
Buy savings bonds for the child
Get medical coverage for the child
Apply for government services for the child
Recommended Reading: How Often Do You Feed A Newborn Formula
How Can I Find My Social Security Number Online
You will need to have a My Social Security account to access your SSN online. If you have not already signed up for an account, then you will not be able to get one until you find your number using another method. Knowing your SSN is required to sign up for an account, but once you have the account, you can access it using your user name and password.
How To Apply For A Social Security Number
The easiest way to apply for a Social Security number for your child is to complete a birth registration form, which has a box you can check to request a number for your child. To complete the form, you will need to provide both parents’ Social Security numbers.
For most new parents, it’s easy to obtain the birth registration form, because hospitals usually distribute them while the mother is still a patient.
But if you didn’t deliver your baby in the hospital or if for some other reason you were never given a birth registration form to complete, you can visit your local Social Security Administration office and request a number in person. This process requires you to do three things:
- Complete Form SS-5 and provide both parents’ Social Security numbers on the form. To save time, download and complete Form SS-5 from the SSA website before you go.
- Provide at least two documents proving your baby’s age, identity, and citizenship status. One document should ideally be your child’s birth certificate. The other document can be your child’s hospital birth record or other medical record.
- Provide proof of your own identity. Your driver’s license and passport are both acceptable.
Read Also: What Is Good For Newborn Colics
Do You Automatically Get A Social Security Number At Birth If Not How Do Babies Get An Ssn
Social security numbers are not automatically issued at birth, even if the baby is born to American parents in a US hospital. You will be asked if you want to apply for an SSN when you give information for your babys birth certificate . Both parents will need to provide their social security number .
If a baby is born outside the US or if you decide not to apply at the hospital when the baby is first born you can apply at your local Social Security office. There is an SSN application to complete and you will also need to provide identifying information proving the babys identity and your identity as well as their claim to US citizenship.
How To Replace Your Childs Social Security Card
Securing your childs Social Security card is an important step in the process, but accidents do happen. If your childs card is lost or stolen, replacements are easy and free. Its important to note that you dont need the physical card. While its helpful to have, its more important to know the number. It rarely needs to be physically shown.
To apply for a replacement card for your child, follow these simple steps:
- Gather your childs documents – First, secure documents proving your childs identity, citizenship, or immigration status. This could be their passport, birth certificate, or other medical records.
- Gather your documents – Next, gather your own documents. Youll need to prove your identity and your relationship to your child.
- Complete the application form – Fill out the application form from the Social Security Administration. This is the same form used when applying for the initial card.
- Submit the form – Either file the form in person at a local Social Security office or mail it to your local center. All documents need to be submitted with the form, and they need to be original or certified.
From there, your local office verifies your documents and application. Your card should be received within ten business days of the date on your receipt. The number on the card is the same as your childs previous card.
You May Like: What Do Newborn Baby Chicks Eat
Baby’s Social Security Card
- Getting a Social Security number for your newborn is voluntary and there are advantages. Your baby’s Social Security card will allow you to:
- will allow you to open a bank account for your child
- get medical coverage for your child
- apply for government services for your child
- buy savings bonds for your child.