Try Fiber Or Probiotics
Probiotics are good bacteria that help support healthy intestines. Healthy intestines will move stool along normally and keep stools soft, preventing constipation.
Fiber feeds the good bacteria and helps promote normal movement in the intestines. It can also help keep more water in the intestines, which helps treat and prevent constipation.
There are different types of fiber, so what works best will vary between cats. Some common sources are Psyllium husks , and wheat bran. Canned pumpkin is often used, but it actually contains very little fiber and lots of sugar, so it isnt the best choice for most cats.
However, the gastrointestinal tract of cats is a little different from people, so high-fiber diets do not always help constipation, explains Dr. Scott Gellman. In fact, sometimes a low-fiber diet works better. A lot of it depends on the cause of the problem. The important thing to understand is there is usually an underlying cause of constipation, and the cat should be brought to a veterinarian to help figure it out.
How To Soothe The Baby
When a baby briefly cries out in their sleep, they often settle on their own. Picking them up may wake them up, disrupting their sleep.
If the crying continues, try talking softly to the baby or rubbing their back or stomach. This can help shift them into a different stage of sleep and help them stop crying.
Breastfed babies who nurse in their sleep may find comfort from nursing. Caregivers should decide whether or not the baby is likely to awaken from nursing and assess whether they are willing to risk waking the baby.
It can also be helpful to simply observe the babys sleep pattern. Some babies let out a soft cry as they fall deeply into sleep, or immediately before waking. Identifying the babys typical sleep pattern can help caregivers assess the cause of crying.
Some babies might cry in their sleep when they are sick or teething, but pain that causes crying will usually wake the baby. Caregivers can talk to a pediatrician about how to ease the babys pain.
Although we do not yet know when nightmares start, a caregiver who thinks that they hear their baby having a nightmare can soothe them by talking calmly to them or rubbing their back. Babies who are still breastfed may also find comfort from nursing.
If a baby wakes up after having had a nightmare, comfort them and follow a soothing sleep ritual to get them back to sleep. Older babies and toddlers may need reassurance that the nightmare was not real.
Causes Of Cat Constipation
Anything that causes dehydration in a cat may result in constipation, says Dr. Bales. Some issues are mild and treatable at home with dietary and lifestyle modifications, and some can be serious.
Constipation can happen if the intestines arent moving things along normally, keeping the stool soft and moist. This can be caused by underlying issues like stress and anxiety, inflammatory bowel disease, allergies, nerve problems, and even some kinds of cancer.
Chronic diseases that can result in constipation in cats include kidney disease, diabetes, and hyperthyroidism. Ruptured or impacted anal sacs may also cause your cat pain with defecation and may result in constipation. Cats eating dry food diets are predisposed to dehydration and constipation as well.
If a cat is holding her stool longer than normal, constipation can occur as the intestines reabsorb too much water when the stool sits in them for too long. Reasons for this include obesity, stress and anxiety, pain from arthritis or anal gland issues, a blockage, or even some kinds of cancer.
Also Check: Should I Buy Newborn Clothes
When Constipation Is A Regular Problem
Regardless of what constipation treatment you use, give yourself enough time to sit on the toilet when you need to go. Holding in the urge can make your constipation worse. Set aside a regular time of the day when you know you’ll be left undisturbed for several minutes.
Also, don’t ignore the problem. Untreated constipation can lead to real problems, such as hemorrhoids and tears in the skin around the anus that make you bleed. If you strain too hard, you might even cause part of your intestines to push out through the anus — a condition called rectal prolapse that can sometimes require surgery.
National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse : “Constipation.”
American Gastroenterological Association: “Understanding Constipation.”
American Academy of Family Physicians: “Constipation.”
Feldman M. Sleisenger and Fordtran’s Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 9th ed. Saunders Elsevier 2010.
American Academy of Family Physicians: “Laxatives: OTC Products for Constipation.”
Legato MJ. Principles of Gender-Specific Medicine, Volume 1. Academic Press, 2009.
Cleveland Clinic: Constipation: Management and Treatment.â
UpToDate: âConstipation in adults .â
Johns Hopkins Medicine: â FODMAP diet: What You Need to Know.â
Harvard Health Publishing: âTry a FODMAPSs diet to manage irritable bowel syndrome.â âProbiotics may ease constipation.â
Mayo Clinic: âConstipation,â âPrebiotics, probiotics and your health.â
What Helps Soften My Dogs Stool
What Helps Soften My Dogs Stool? Water. Make sure that the dog has access to clean, fresh water throughout the day. Canned Pumpkin. Most dogs love to eat canned pumpkin. Milk. The lactose in the milk tends to attract moisture into the colon and helps to increase the movement of intestines. Fiber. Prescription Stool Softeners. Tips. Precautions.
You May Like: How To Give A Newborn Their First Bath
How Often Should Baby Poop
To figure out if your child has a bout of baby constipation, its helpful to know how often babies tend to produce stool. From newborn to 3 months, a breastfed baby might have anywhere from 5 to 40 bowel movements a weekan average of 2.9 a day. Since breastfed babies absorb so much of the milk, some infants could go up to three or four days, or maybe even a week, without pooping. But as long as when they do its soft, pain free and blood free, thats fine, Santo Domingo says. Their formula-fed counterparts can have anywhere from 5 to 28 a week, or about two a day.
As infants age, breastfed and formula-fed babies start to have about the same number of poopsso from 3 to 6 months, that means about two to four bowel movements a day, and at 6 to 12 months, both formula-fed and breastfed babies will go down to 5 to 28 bowel movements a week, or about 1.8 a day. Keep in mind, these are just averages. If an infant doesnt have a bowel movement every single day, were not that concerned, Santo Domingo says. What were more concerned with is whether its hard when it does come outthat would lead us more toward thinking its baby constipation.
Medical Treatment For Constipation
If over-the-counter treatments donât do the job, your doctor may prescribe a different kind of medication.
Prescription laxatives such as linaclotide, lubiprostone, and plecanatide work by increasing the amount of water in your intestines and speeding up the movement of stool. Note that Amitiza is approved for use only in women.
Serotonin 5-hydroxytryptamine 4 receptors. Prucalopride is a powerful stimulant thatâs used for chronic constipation without a known cause.
PAMORAs. This is a shorter way of saying âperipherally acting mu-opioid receptor antagonists.â These work on constipation thatâs caused by opioid pain medicines. These drugs include methylnaltrexone and naloxegol
Surgery for constipation treatment
Sometimes constipation is caused by a structural problem in your colon or rectum. Your colon may be blocked or unusually narrow, or you may have a partial collapse or a bulge in the wall of your rectum. In that case, surgery can correct the problem.
Surgery may also be a last resort if your colon just works too slowly and treatments havenât helped. You may need to have a section of your colon removed.
You May Like: Can Probiotics Cause Constipation In Newborns
Q Is Diluted Fruit Juice Or Fruit A Good Baby Constipation Remedy
If your baby is already on solid foods then diluted fruit juice, such as apple, pear or prune, or the fruit itself should be fine for providing relief. Fruits, such as apples, pears and prunes, contain sorbitol which is a natural laxative, helping the lower bowel retain water, which in turn helps the poo stay soft and easy to pass.
For younger babies, check with your health visitor before you start giving anything other than milk.
Ways To Help Your Constipated Cat
Reviewed and updated for accuracy on March 10, 2020, by Dr. Aja Senestraro, DVM
Jump to a Section:
Constipation is common in cats. Usually, its mild, and you can help your cat with simple home treatments.
But sometimes, constipation in cats can indicate more serious health issues, and it can become very severe and uncomfortable. So how do you know when its a serious problem that needs vet attention?
Heres what you need to know about cat constipation symptoms and causes, what you can do to help your cat, and when to be concerned.
You May Like: How To Tell If Newborn Has Autism
When Is Baby Constipation A Sign Of Something Serious
After the first couple of weeks, babies usually settle into a pretty good pooping routine. For bottle-fed babies, that schedule is one to two times a day. Breastfed babies may actually skip a day or so in between bowel movements. In fact, by 1 month of age, they sometimes go a week without having a stool!
What Makes Your 5 Month Old Constipated
Several factors can lead to constipation among babies. Here are the most common causes:
- Formula milk It is more likely to cause constipation among babies when compared to breast milk. Due to formula milk, the stool will get hard, bulky and firm, making bowel movements painful and sometimes even impossible.
- Solid foods When solid foods are introduced, there is a great possibility for your baby to develop constipation. Giving your baby foods which are low in fibers can lead to constipation as well.
- Dehydration If you are not giving your baby the necessary amount of water a day, your baby can get easily constipated, especially when solid food is introduced or when you feed your baby with formula milk.
- A disease or medical condition Food poisoning, food allergy or metabolic disorders can lead to constipation among babies.
Rarely, constipation in 5 months old babies results from congenital conditions such as spina bifida, cystic fibrosis, Hirschsprungs disease, etc.
Read Also: How To Be A Good Parent To A Newborn
What Causes Baby Constipation
There are 4 main causes of constipation in babies:
1. Incorrect formula mix: Always make up bottles with the correct amount of formula powder to avoid baby constipation. If it says level spoonfuls, then ensure you level them off. If the powder-to-water ratio is incorrect then your baby could become constipated.
2. Introducing solids: Solid food is a big adjustment for tiny tummies that have been used to an easily digestible liquid diet. Some foods such as root vegetables and bananas can take longer to digest and therefore cause constipation. Introduce new tastes slowly and one at a time so that you can identify which, if any, causes constipation in your baby. Try our ultimate baby weaning guide to get it right first time.
Heidi Skudder, from The Parent & Baby Coach, advises that Constipation is really normal when weaning first starts however it should pass. Offer your baby water with each meal, and add water or milk to their foods to increase their overall fluid intake. If constipation becomes an issue, it could be that there are some foods that baby is finding hard to digest. You may want to simplify their diet until they become regular again and then add in foods a second time, but a little more slowly.
How Can I Treat Newborn Constipation
Constipation can be a hard cycle to break, but when the poop gets tough, the tough gets going! Here’s how you can get rid of the constipation in newborn babies:
- If you have introduced bottle, make sure the formula milk is luke warm when you feed your baby. Breast-milk already has the perfect temperature.
- Hold your newborn’s feet and move them gently as if s/he is riding a bicycle. The pressure between his/her thighs and tummy may trigger the bowel movement.
- Massage the tiny belly gently in circular motion, ideally with some warm baby oil .
- Measure three-fingers’ width down the newborn navel area. Gently press it till you feel a firm spot/ mass. Continue pressing it for a couple of minutes, then release. Your baby may fart and/or pass stool after this.
- Brown sugar works great to relieve newborn constipation . Whether your baby is newborn or is few months old, dissolve some brown sugar in one ounce of water and give it to him/her through a dropper .
- Glycerin Suppository is the 100% proven way to get the poo moving! I tried it with my newborn . It is inserted in the rectum and within half an hour a bulk of stool is out! However, only use it if you have tried all the things stated above. If you make a habit of giving a suppository every time your baby is constipated, the tiny body will get used to it.
Also Check: What Are The Basic Needs For A Newborn Baby
How Is The Constipation Treated
Treat the Cause
What to do if your 5 month old constipated? First treat the underlying causes. Note that you should not give your baby any medicine for constipation unless your doctor has prescribed it.
When you are breastfeeding your baby, constipation is very rare. If constipated, you should feed your baby more often.
If you feed your baby with formula milk, there is a greater possibility for your baby to get constipated. Here are some tips how to solve this problem:
- Choose another brand for formula milk, instead of the one you are using so far.
- Make the formula milk correctly, by making sure it contains enough water.
- Use the scoop which comes together with the milk tin. Do not use the scoop of another brand or do not use a teaspoon or tablespoon.
- Dont pack the powder too tight on the scoop as this could lead to thicker formula milk than desired, leading to constipation.
If your baby eats solid foods or if you are just introducing solid food to your 5 months old, there is a great possibility of getting constipated. Here are some tips how to solve this problem:
Constipation in 5-month-old babies also results from dehydration, so make sure to give your baby water between two meals. Prune juice or peach juice can also help.
Seek Medical Help
Talk to your doctor or midwife about your babys problem with constipation and the treatment available.
Other Ways to Help Relieve the Constipation
How To Tell If Your Baby Is Constipated
Newborn bowel movements vary from one baby to another depending upon their milk intake and body. Some babies pass stool many times a day while some can hold the stuff in for as long as 3 days. If you are breastfeeding, you may notice a frequent newborn bowel movement as compared to that of a fully formula-fed baby.
Your newborn is constipated if…
- He hasn’t had a bowel movement for 3 days or more.
- Even if he has passed stool, the stool is dry and harder than normal and the baby finds it difficult to pass it. You may find your baby making disgruntled faces while passing stool.
- Sometimes after days of “dry spell”, you notice a watery stool and may confuse it with diarrhea. It is actually one of the symptoms of constipation in newborns, i.e., liquid stool seeps out of the blockage in the small intestines and end up in the diaper.
Don’t Miss: Can You Sleep While Your Newborn Sleeps