If You Are Using A Crib:
- Approved crib and crib mattress
- 3 waterproof mattress covers
- 4 light blankets that fit in the crib
- Sleep sack
- Firm mattress
- 4 fitted cribsheets
- 3 waterproof pads to place under baby
- Light comforter
- Sleep sack
- Approved infant safety seat for car
- Stroller that reclines so newborn can lie flat
- Nail clippers or scissors
- Bulb syringe for suctioning mucous
- Baby thermometer
- Eye dropper or medicine spoon
- Medication in case of fever
- Baby monitor
- Change table
- Rocking chair for feeding and swaddling
How To Save Money On The Baby Essentials
Preparing for your babys arrival can quickly become expensive. If youre trying to stick to a budget, take a look at the tips below. They can help you save money while still getting everything you need to be prepared for delivery day.
- Create a registry before your baby shower, and put all the baby essentials on the list.
- Ask for baby essentials as gifts for your birthday or Christmas.
- Check with family, friends, and colleagues for hand-me-down baby essentials.
- Have a look at thrift stores to get the larger baby essentials, like furniture and strollers, for cheap.
While purchasing all the newborn baby essentials may be pricey, it doesnt even compare to the joy and fulfillment of giving birth and bonding with your baby. You cant put a price tag on love!
Start with the basics like a crib, diapers, Cleansing Wipes, and Gentle Cleansing Gel then go from there. With this baby essentials shopping list, youll have everything you need to be fully prepared for your little ones arrival!
Types Of Cloth Diapers
Cloth diapers have come a long way, with nearly a dozen types available on the market today. “There are so many optionsno matter your baby’s body type or activity level, there’s a style on the market that will work for him or her,” says mom blogger Erin Odom, author of Confessions of a Cloth Diaper Convert: A Simple, Comprehensive Guide to Using Cloth Diapers. Here’s what to know about the most popular options.
Don’t Miss: How Much Should A Newborn Eat In A Day
Delta Children Canton 4
Why pick this one? This simple, minimalistic, modern baby crib by Delta Children was Pampers Parentsâ second-best choice overall.
As a convertible crib, this one changes to a toddler bed, daybed, and full-size bed for your growing child! It also offers three mattress positions, so you can adjust the entire bed as your baby grows and develops. Although the toddler and daybed rails are included, youâll need to purchase the full-size rails and mattresses separately.
With a sleigh-style design, this baby crib is best for any parent looking for a twist on a classic. And rest assured knowing this bed has won 10 awards, ranging from âbest baby cribâ to âmust-have baby gear.â
Highlights: This crib is made from sustainable pine sourced from New Zealand with 100 percent nontoxic materials.
Price*: about $249.99 on
Pampers Parents pros and cons:
Best Swaddle: Halo Sleep Sack Swaddle
Another popular style from the brand Halo, this sleep sack is a great way to prevent startle reflex thanks to its swaddling wings. When your baby is ready to transition to an arms-out sleep sack, simply tuck the wings under their arms and around their waist. It’s made entirely of cotton, has an inverted zipper, and comes in a variety of colors. Many shoppers say it has helped their baby sleep better, and one mom claims, ” hands down the best purchase that I made for my baby.”
To buy: $28
You May Like: How To Help Newborn With Spit Up
Keeping Baby Safe And Amused
Much as sleep is a big focus, its also important to be prepared for keeping your baby safe and amused during his or her waking hours.
If youre feeling tired or need to get stuff done, the waking hours can feel very long at times. I think its pretty much essential to have a baby seat and its an added bonus to have an activity mat as well. Both of these will keep your baby safe and stimulated during their waking hours.
We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
Bedding And Sleep Needs
Whatever bed you choose for your newborn , it is recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics that your baby sleep in the same room with you for the first 6-12 months of life. In addition, bumpers, blankets, pillows, and soft toys are no longer recommended in baby beds. Talk about going minimalistic!
Although the AAP doesnt recommend sharing a bed with your baby, most breastfeeding mothers will fall asleep with their baby in their bed at some point, so its wise to keep a checklist of safe bedsharing guidelines on hand.
Read Also: What Are The Best Toys For Newborns
Grow By Gerber Baby Organic Mittens
Your peanut starts growing nails during week 12 of pregnancy, and they pretty much never stop growing from there. Trimming or filing baby’s nails can be tricky and a chore to maintain.
These scratch-proof mittens keep your little one’s hands covered and are an easy solution to prevent scratches on her sweet face. The mitts are made of soft 100 percent cotton, come in a variety of colors and are machine washable. Plus, the gentle elastic helps them stay put on her tiny hands and wrists. You’ll get three pairs in a package.
Delta Children Abby Convertible Crib And Changer
Why pick this one? This was voted as the third-best baby crib according to Pampers Parents, but the favorite among cribs with a changing table. The big benefit of this product is that itâs both multipurpose and convertible.
Besides the changing table, this baby crib also comes with two shelves and two drawers. Plus, as your little one grows, it can convert into a toddler bed, daybed, and full-size bed.
Keep in mind that youâll need to buy some extras like the toddler guardrail and metal bed frame when youâre ready to transform the crib, so there will be some additional costs involved.
Made of solid wood, this crib is a product you can get lots of use out of over the years.
Highlights: The changing table comes with a water-resistant changing pad, too.
Price*: about $349 on
Pampers Parents pros and cons:
Don’t Miss: Which Humidifier Is Best For Newborn Baby
Best Transition Sleep Sack
Is your little one fed up with being swaddled? The Dream Sack gives baby the same cozy feeling that comes from Baby Merlins top-rated sleepsuit, with the freedom of movement to roll and kick as they get older. The roomy sack is made with a double layer of cotton to keep baby warm, safe and secure. Plus, a two-way zipper allows for easy diaper changes.
Buy it: Baby Merlins Magic Dream Sack Double Layer Wearable Blanket, $30,
Best With Feet: Halo Early Walker Sleep Sack
Once your toddler can stand and walk with ease, it’s a good idea to switch from a closed-foot sleep sack to an open-foot design. This version by Halo is made with plush microfleece that gives them plenty of comfort without too much warmth. Parents praise the fact that their toddlers can wear it to bed, and then can continue to wear it while cruising around in the morning or after naptime.
To buy: $25
Recommended Reading: How To Know If Your Newborn Has Colic
Best Muslin Sleep Sack
You might know that aiden + anais is the go-to brand for super-soft muslin baby swaddles and receiving blankets. Turns out, their sleep sack options are just as delicious. Made from a single layer of soft, breathable 100 percent cotton muslin, the open weave helps reduce the risk of overheating, offering just the right amount of comfort during summer nights and daytime naps. It can also be layered with warmer sleepwear for cooler temperatures and comes in a variety of adorable patterns. And, like many of the best baby sleep sacks, this pick has a full-length zipper for easy changing access.
Buy it: aden + anais Essentials Cotton Muslin Light Sleep Sack Flowers Bloom, $20, adenandanais.com
Best Transitional: Baby Merlin’s Magic Sleepsuit
Designed by a mother of four and a pediatric physical therapist, Baby Merlin’s Magic Sleepsuit is a comfortable sleepwear option for little ones ready to exit the swaddle stage. Plus, well over 8,000 reviewers are convinced it’s quite literally “magical.” The patented sleepsuit offers more security than other sleep sacks because of its snug fit throughout the arms, tummy, and legs. It’s important to note that it’s only suitable for babies who sleep strictly on their backs.
To buy: $40
You May Like: How To Help A Newborn With Stuffy Nose
Baby Items That Have A Better Alternative
- Changing Table: You can use your dresser as a changing table for your baby this will save you money spent on purchasing a separate changing table.
- Diaper Pails: Instead of buying diaper pails, you can conveniently use any other normal dustbin for the disposal of diapers. It is not necessary to buy it. Please remove it from your list of baby items from a to z to save your money.
- Noise Machine: If your baby can sleep peacefully without the use of any noise machine, what can be better than this. It is advised not to make your child so dependent on noises to make him fall asleep.
- Ointments: If you have a vaseline, you should not think much you can comfortably use it for dry skin. For newborns, there is no need to use ointments.
- Prams: A pram may not be essential for everyone according to most parents, a pram is not perfect for short-term distances.
- Powder: According to the American Academy of Pediatrics , there is no need to use baby powders.
- Wipe Warmers: Usually, some people use wipe warmers to increase a childs comfortability while changing diapers however, its not necessary at all.
Best Organic Sleep Sack
The Burts Bees Baby Wearable Blanket is crafted from 100 percent GOTS certified organic cotton. Its available in a number of charming colors and patterns, and features a zipper that opens from the bottom plus, it has an interior zipper guard complete with a snappable cover. This buzzworthy organic sleep sack is an ideal choice for little ones with sensitive skin.
Buy it: Burts Bees Baby Beekeeper Organic Baby Wearable Blanket, $23, BurtsBeesBaby.com
Don’t Miss: What To Do For Newborn Stuffy Nose
Dream On Me Synergy 5
Why pick this one? This baby crib has an undeniably modern and sleek look. The no-frills style crib would suit almost any nursery dÃ©cor but might be an especially good choice if your babyâs nursery has a modern aesthetic with clean lines and a focus on minimalism and functionality.
This product can be used in five different ways, from a crib all the way to a full-size bed with a footboard.
As with many other convertible baby cribs, the toddler safety rail on this one needs to be purchased separately. When itâs time to convert the crib to a full-size bed, youâll need to buy the bed frame and mattress separately as well.
Highlights: Although all options on our list meet the necessary safety standards, this crib goes the extra mile and uses eco-friendly and child-safe water-based paint to create fun color options .
Price*: about $135 to $298 on
Pampers Parents pros and cons:
Ditching Disposable Diapers Is Easier Than You Might Think Check Out Our Guide To Learn About The Different Types Of Cloth Diapers The Estimated Cost And How To Use Them Properly
If you’re like most parents-to-be, you may have uttered the following words at some point: “I really want to try cloth diapers, but it seems like too much work.” Or: “It’s a lot of money to spend up-front.” Or: “I can’t deal with scraping baby poop into a toilet.”
The fact is, cloth diapers do require more work than simply tossing a disposable into the trash, and they aren’t the right choice for every family. But thanks to progress in modern tush-covering technology, they may make more sense than you realize. Check out our primer about cloth diaperingyou might just be inspired to give an old-fashioned choice a new look.
Read Also: How To Mix Formula For Newborn
Safety 1st Easy Saver Diaper Pail
Why pick this one? A great thing about this diaper pail from Safety 1st is that you can use regular trash bags with it, and you wonât need to spend extra on special refills.Youâll have to open and close the lid by hand, so keep this in mind if youâre selecting this product.Overall, if youâre looking for a no-bells-and-whistles diaper pail that gets the job done, consider this one.
Highlights: This diaper pail comes with a deodorizer disc, which youâll need to replace every so often.
Price*: about $23.98 on
Pampers Parents pros and cons:
What Not To Add To Your Baby Registry
- Baby wipe warmer. Of course, if this is something you really want, feel free to add it to your registry . But a wipe warmer is definitely not a necessity, and many parents report never using the one they registered for.
- Crib bumpers. Your babys crib or bassinet should have just a fitted sheet in it that means no crib bumpers, pillows, blankets or stuffed animals.
- Dressy clothes. Baby clothes need to withstand daily spit-up and diaper blowouts . Unless you have an important event in babys first few months, you can probably stick to cute basics.
- Drop-down cribs. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission ended manufacturing of drop-down cribs in 2011, but you still might encounter them if youre gifted a hand-me-down crib or buy one secondhand. Make sure the crib you choose abides by these safety standards.
- Tons of toys. Although the playtime items listed above are nice to have, dont go overboard. Your little one has a lifetime to accumulate toys, after all. Plus, no matter what’s in front of her, your smiling face is still going to be the most entertaining thing in the room.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Baby Formula For Newborn
Baby Health And Safety Checklist
Itâs good to have some health and safety essentials at home, both for preventing accidents and injuries and in case you need to take your childâs temperature or put a sticking plaster on a small scratch.
Of course, nothing in your first aid cabinet can match the healing power of your âmake-it-better kissâ, but â just to be on the safe side â here are some basic items to have at home:
â¡First-aid kit. You’ll want to have basic items at home like a baby thermometer, tweezers, sticking plasters, antiseptic wipes, bandages and basic medicines all in one place in your baby first aid kit. You might want to keep another first-aid kit in the car so you have some of these essentials when youâre on the go as well.
â¡Nasal aspirator. This can help gently remove mucus from your babyâs nose.
â¡Baby nail scissors or clippers. If your baby grows long nails, youâll need to trim them to prevent self-inflicted scratches. Baby nail scissors have rounded ends to prevent accidental injuries. If youâre not comfortable using scissors on your babyâs nails, try filing them down with an emery board instead.
â¡Soft-bristled hairbrush. Even if your baby doesnât have much hair, a brush can help loosen scales if your newborn ends up with cradle cap.
Baby Items That Start With H
- Humidifier: A humidifier is undoubtedly the best investment you will ever make for your newborn as it can prove to be very useful whenever your child gets a cold or gets sick.
- High chair: If you want your child to become self-reliant, then having a high chair in your house and encouraging your child to eat on his own can be quite effective.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Jaundice In Newborns
Baby Items That Dont Work Like They Were Supposed To
- Pillows: According to experts, using a pillow below the age of 1 may cause Sudden Infant Death Syndrome thats why its always advised not to use pillows. For your babys safety, we advised you to remove it from your babylist a-z.
- Receiving blanket: Usually, there is no need to purchase a receiving blanket you can even use the blanket you received from the hospital.
- Swaddle Blanket: Swaddling is only useful if your child feels more comfortable and happy after swaddling. You should stop using a swaddle blanket after your baby can roll.
- Swing: Remember, buying a swing is not a good idea if you dont have sufficient space in your house.
- Travel Crib: Travel cribs are not a baby essential as abandoning the use of cribs can make traveling along with your baby simpler or easier.
- Vaporizer: You should only buy a vaporizer if your child is born in the winter months. Otherwise, you dont need a vaporizer unless and until your child gets cold or nose bleeding frequently.
- Walker: Nowadays, most doctors advise not to use a walker as walkers can be dangerous for your baby. So please remove it from your baby items list a-z.
Baby Checklist For 4 To 6 Months Old
Much of what youve already bought will suffice as your baby grows. For instance, you wont have to replace her blankets every few months. But some of her needs will change as she grows into new clothes, cuts her first teeth, begins grabbing objects and starts putting everything into her mouth.
Spoons and bowls for soft solids, such as cereal
Stationary activity center for babies 4 months and older
Toys: Tactile stimulation is important at this age, and every touch brings about new sensations. Try toys with different textures, shapes and colors. Rattles are also good at this stage, as baby may begin to associate an action, such as shaking a toy, with instant sound feedback.
You May Like: How To Deal With Newborn