Things You Should Not Do When A Baby Is Constipated
- Dont give prune juice to infants under six months of age it contains a natural bowel irritant, even when diluted.
- Dont add any form of sugar, malt extract or rice cereal to formula it will not help the constipation.
- Dont introduce solids before four to six months of age its not recommended as a way to treat constipation.
What To Watch For
It’s important to note that babies’ poop schedules can swing on both sides of the spectrum. Some exclusively breastfed babies poop after every meal others have been known to hold out for a week or longer, Dr. Shu says.
“Consistency is key to defining constipation in breastfed babies. Rather than liquidy, seedy, pasty stools, the constipated baby’s stool will be more like little clay balls,” says Jane Morton, M.D., a clinical professor of pediatrics at Stanford University School of Medicine, “though it is extremely rare for an exclusively breastfed baby to be constipated.”
Formula-fed babies can be all over the map, too. And when solid foods enter the picture, parents should be prepared for the frequency, form, and color to change again. But as a frame of reference, babies 0 to 4 months of age poop on average three to four times a day, and after the introduction of solid foods, that reduces to approximately one bowel movement per day.
Parents often suspect constipation when there is a prolonged absence of poop. This can definitely be a sign of constipation. If a baby is not having at least several bright, yellow poops on Day 5 of life, something could be wrong, regardless of whether he’s on breast milk or formula, Dr. Morton says. This usually has to do with the baby not getting enough to eat.
What You Can Do
Dont give your baby medicines for constipation unless they are advised or prescribed by a doctor.
If your baby is fed with breast milk:
- You may need to feed your baby more often. See your doctor or child health nurse for advice.
If your baby is fed with formula:
- It may be that his or her formula has not been made up correctly, so it does not contain enough water.
- Double check that you are following the instructions on the tin of formula correctly.
- Make sure you are using the scoop that is provided with the tin of formula you are using different brands can have different sized scoops.
- Make sure you are not packing the powdered formula too tightly in the scoop it should be loosely filled, and levelled off using the flat side of a knife or the leveller provided.
- Make sure you are adding water to the bottle first, then the powdered formula. If you add formula first you will be adding too little water to the bottle.
If your baby is eating solids :
- Offer extra water between their normal meals or diluted fruit juice , 1 part juice to 3 parts water.
- Try to encourage them to eat extra servings of fruit and vegetables that have been pureed or chopped . These can include stewed prunes, stewed apricots, and steamed vegetables.
- Add more water to your babys solids.
Other things to try:
- Gently move your babys legs in a cycling motion this may help stimulate their bowels.
- Gently massage your babys tummy.
- A warm bath can help the muscles relax .
Don’t Miss: How To Give Newborn Baby A Bath
How Can I Treat Newborn Constipation
Constipation can be a hard cycle to break, but when the poop gets tough, the tough gets going! Heres how you can get rid of the constipation in newborn babies:
- If you have introduced bottle, make sure the formula milk is luke warm when you feed your baby. Breast-milk already has the perfect temperature.
- Hold your newborns feet and move them gently as if s/he is riding a bicycle. The pressure between his/her thighs and tummy may trigger the bowel movement.
- Massage the tiny belly gently in circular motion, ideally with some warm baby oil .
- Measure three-fingers width down the newborn navel area. Gently press it till you feel a firm spot/ mass. Continue pressing it for a couple of minutes, then release. Your baby may fart and/or pass stool after this.
- Brown sugar works great to relieve newborn constipation . Whether your baby is newborn or is few months old, dissolve some brown sugar in one ounce of water and give it to him/her through a dropper .
- Glycerin Suppository is the 100% proven way to get the poo moving! I tried it with my newborn . It is inserted in the rectum and within half an hour a bulk of stool is out! However, only use it if you have tried all the things stated above. If you make a habit of giving a suppository every time your baby is constipated, the tiny body will get used to it.
What Can Cause Infant Constipation
Constipation is rare in young babies, particularly in those who are not yet eating solid foods. Itâs more likely to occur in your baby once you introduce solids. Your babyâs pattern of bowel movements will vary depending on his age and what heâs eaten recently.In very rare cases, your babyâs constipation may be caused by an underlying condition, such as Hirschsprungs disease, hypothyroidism, or cystic fibrosis. Contact his healthcare provider if you think your baby has constipation due to of any of these conditions, or if you have any questions about your babys symptoms.
Recommended Reading: Bananas Gassy Stomach
Read Also: How To Do Your Own Newborn Photos
What Causes Baby Constipation
There are 4 main causes of constipation in babies:
1. Incorrect formula mix: Always make up bottles with the correct amount of formula powder to avoid baby constipation. If it says level spoonfuls, then ensure you level them off. If the powder-to-water ratio is incorrect then your baby could become constipated.
2. Introducing solids: Solid food is a big adjustment for tiny tummies that have been used to an easily digestible liquid diet. Some foods such as root vegetables and bananas can take longer to digest and therefore cause constipation. Introduce new tastes slowly and one at a time so that you can identify which, if any, causes constipation in your baby. Try our ultimate baby weaning guide to get it right first time.
Heidi Skudder, from The Parent & Baby Coach, advises that Constipation is really normal when weaning first starts however it should pass. Offer your baby water with each meal, and add water or milk to their foods to increase their overall fluid intake. If constipation becomes an issue, it could be that there are some foods that baby is finding hard to digest. You may want to simplify their diet until they become regular again and then add in foods a second time, but a little more slowly.
Signs Of A Constipated Baby
But if you have any concern that you may be dealing with a constipated baby, here are signs to watch out for:
- Less frequent bowel movements than usual
- Signs of straining or discomfort when pushing
- A firm belly thats painful to the touch
- Very fussy and spitting up more frequently
- Refusal to eat
- Hard, dry stools that are difficult for them to pass, no matter how frequently
- Small streaks of blood in stool
Recommended Reading: What To Give Newborn For Gas
How Long Can A Newborn Go Without Pooping
Formula-fed babies typically poop three to four times a day, but some go as long as three or four days without a bowel movement. As long as your babys poops are soft and passed without a struggle, you dont have to be concerned. But call your pediatrician if your little one doesnt poop for more than five days.
What Parents Can Do
- Breastfeed for at least 1 year. If problems with breastfeeding or milk supply occur contact your local WIC office for lactation help right away.
- Do cycling with infants legs or give a gentle tummy massage.
- If using formula, make sure it is mixed correctly.
- Keep from giving baby food or table foods until showing signs of readiness around 6 months of age.
- If your infant is 6 months or older and already on baby food or soft table food, increase the amount of high fiber cereals , vegetables , and fruit .
- Each infant is different. Parents and caregivers should become familiar with their normal pattern of dirty diapers and look at the usual size, consistency, and how often.
- Take with your healthcare provider before giving a laxative or other type of stool-softening medication.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
Recommended Reading: How To Know If A Newborn Has Colic
How Often Should A Newborn Poo
You will soon get in to the rhythm of your babies bowel movements but here are some tips on what to look out for:
A breastfed baby may poo at each feed in the early weeks, then after about 6 weeks they may not have a poo for several days. This is completely normal.
Formula fed babies tend to poo either at least once a day or every other day. Some babies may even go longer between poos without being constipated.
As long as their poos are soft, they have plenty of wet nappies and are not distressed, your baby is not constipated.
How To Tell If Your Baby Is Constipated
Newborn bowel movements vary from one baby to another depending upon their milk intake and body. Some babies pass stool many times a day while some can hold the stuff in for as long as 3 days. If you are breastfeeding, you may notice a frequent newborn bowel movement as compared to that of a fully formula-fed baby.
Your newborn is constipated if
- He hasnt had a bowel movement for 3 days or more.
- Even if he has passed stool, the stool is dry and harder than normal and the baby finds it difficult to pass it. You may find your baby making disgruntled faces while passing stool.
- Sometimes after days of dry spell, you notice a watery stool and may confuse it with diarrhea. It is actually one of the symptoms of constipation in newborns, i.e., liquid stool seeps out of the blockage in the small intestines and end up in the diaper.
Read Also: Can You Give A Newborn Gas Drops
Can I Give My 1 Week Old Prune Juice
If your infants pediatrician gives the OK, they can provide guidance on how much prune juice is safe to give your baby. A good rule of thumb is 1 ounce of prune juice per month of life with a max daily dose of 4 ounces. Administer the prune juice no more than twice per day to help relieve their constipation.
Frequency Of Bowel Movements
Babies at this age start to decrease in the amount of bowel movements they have. It can vary, but on average a healthy 6 week old baby will only having 1-2 poops per week.
If youre breastfeeding your baby its normal for them not to have a bowel movement every day because all of the nutrients your baby is getting are being used. Meaning there isnt anything left over to pass through the body. According to WebMD its normal for your breastfed baby to only have one bowel movement a week.
However, if youre formula feeding your baby you might notice they have more than one bowel movement per week. Your baby doesnt digest all of the nutrients of formula as they would breast milk. Therefore, there is more to pass through the body equaling more bowel movements.
Also Check: What Clothes Do You Need For A Newborn
What Makes My Newborn Constipated
As you start introducing solid foods to your baby and cows milk , your baby may poop more frequently. Thats because your babys digestive system is still immature and has to figure out how to digest all these new foods. On the flip side, your baby may now become constipated.
Dont Miss: Why Do Newborns Get Fussy At Night
How To Relieve Baby Constipation Quickly
Natural remedies are a great way to relieve your babys constipation, so you dont necessarily have to visit the doctor:
1. Extra water: If youre making up a bottle, add about one ounce of extra water to every feed so the baby is always getting extra fluid, says Dr Gerlis. For hot summer days this is especially important.
2. A warm bath: A warm bath may help relax your baby and ease constipation. Follow the bath with movement and massage suggested below whilst your baby is on the changing mat, and that might also do the trick. Just make sure you have a nappy or muslin handy!
3. Change of diet: If your baby has already been weaned then eating pureed apricots, peaches, pear, plums or prunes might relieve constipation. Try this easy recipe for blueberry puree to get started. Likewise you could give them a small amount of apple or prune juice diluted 50 percent with water if they are over 3 months.
Read Also: How Much Formula Can A Newborn Have
Baby Massage For Constipation
Baby massage is another quick way to help ease constipation in babies. Try gently massaging your babys tummy in a circular motion just below the belly button with baby-friendly massage oil. Follow this video from expert Corinna Nicol, founder of The Mummy Circle early parenting community, to see how massage can relieve constipation.
Corinna Nicol advises that Constipation is common in babies because they have an immature digestive system. Tummy massage and leg yoga can alleviate the discomfort of constipation.
Massage in a clockwise motion around the belly, removing or rolling the nappy down slightly to access the abdomen. Always massage the tummy in a clockwise direction as you are following the path of digestion, from the large intestine into the bowel. Use an organic cold-pressed, vegetable-based oil so your hands glide over babys tummy. You dont need to press hard, but apply the same pressure you would use when soaping your little one in the bath. Sing your baby a song while you are massaging to keep them entertained.
Is Your 5 Month Old Constipated
First, you need to understand no poop doesn’t necessarily mean constipation. Every baby is unique, so there is no such thing as normal bowel movements. The number of bowel movements and when they will occur depend greatly on what your baby eats, how rapidly the babys body digests the food and the daily level of activity that your baby has.
The common symptoms of constipation include:
- The babys stools are hard, dry and sometimes there is also a presence of blood.
- The baby did not have a bowel movement within the last two to three days.
- The baby shows discomfort when having a bowel movement.
Constipation among babies is a normal thing which tends to occur every now and then. With the right care, your baby will soon start having regular bowel movements. If the baby has been constipated for a couple of days, is very distressed, cries constantly, has blood in the stool or has any other symptoms, seek proper medical help from your doctor.
Read Also: How Many Times Should I Bathe My Newborn