Diet For Constipated Babies
The risk of constipation can be reduced to considerable amount by giving a proper diet to your child. Fluids , bran cereals and fiber rich foods , ease the symptoms associated to constipation.
The diet differs according to the age of the kid.
- Less than 2 months As the baby is too young, any food prepared outside cant be given. Its better to call up the doctor, instead of dealing with the situation at your own.
- 2 months and older Include nearly 3 ounces of water, on a regular basis, in his/her diet. You can also give 2 ounces of diluted apple juice or grape juice.
- 4 months and older Children of this age can have solid foods. So, you can include high fiber constituents such as peaches, beans, peas, and spinach in their diet.
- 5-10 months old Feed pureed foods to your kid. Ensure that there are no lumps in the food.
- 1 year old infant Give mashed food, if your tot belongs to this age group. There is no problem, if there are some lumps in the food.
Note- Do not give additional sugars and diluted juice simultaneously. Opt for only one cure.
Things To Do In Constipation
- Guava is a very effective remedy for constipation. You should eat it with its seeds.
- Few moms use the Vaseline trick to lubricate babys anal.
- Few people suggest to use the castor oil but I dont recommend. Its not a right choice for your little ones still developing tummy.
- Keep your baby active so that his bowel movements can be more regular.
- Give all the fruit juices in a diluted form otherwise, it can cause diarrhea.
- Try to keep your baby as relax as you can.
- If you are a breastfeeding mom then limit dairy intake in your diet.
- Make a routine of going to the toilet as first thing in the morning. Encourage your child to poop in the morning.
- Ground flaxseed can be used as supplemental fiber.
Recommended Reading: How To Relieve Constipation During Pregnancy Immediately
How Do You Help A Constipated Baby
That said, check out these tips that moms have used for eons to get baby bowels running smoothly!
Also to know is, how long can a baby go without a bowel movement?
eight weeks5 daystwo weeks2-3 months
What can you give a baby for constipation?
How many times a day should a formula fed baby poop?
formula fed newborn shouldformulafed babiesbabies
Don’t Miss: What Position Should Newborns Sleep In
Is It An Allergic Reaction
Allergic reactions can cause raised, swollen bumps, or hives, to appear on the skin.People do not tend to confuse hives with acne. This is because hives is very uncommon under 6 weeks old, does not look like acne, and is usually not confined to the face, neck, and upper chest back as baby acne is.
Babiesâ skin is thinner than adultsâ skin and has fewer oil glands. This makes their skin more vulnerable to injury and irritation.
Adult acne remedies can irritate babiesâ sensitive skin. Caregivers should avoid using OTC remedies unless a dermatologist or pediatrician suggests otherwise.
To treat baby acne at home, keep the skin clean but do not overmoisturize it. A gentle cleanser for sensitive skin can help. Avoid touching or picking at acne, which can make it worse and cause infections.
For most young babies, the fewer things that touch their skin, the better. However, if the baby has dry skin and a face moisturizer may work, it is best to use one that manufacturers have specifically designed for use on baby skin.
Though there is no clinical evidence supporting this claim, some caregivers claim that a breast milk remedy can work. Breast milk is rich in antibodies, and some believe that applying it to a babyâs acne can help clear it up more quickly.
Baby acne typically goes away on its own within a few weeks. If it does not go away, or if it gets worse, a person may wish to consider seeing a doctor.
When To Call A Doctor
Sometimes constipation can be very serious or a sign of another underlying condition. The following are common signs that it is time to call your baby’s doctor:
- Stomach pain with crying that lasts more than an hour
- Rectal pain with straining that lasts more than an hour
- Vomiting and swollen stomach
- Your baby needs to pass stool but refuses to let it out
- A suppository was given but didn’t work
- Your baby is in extreme pain or distress
You May Like: How To Sleep Train A Newborn Baby
What Are Normal Bowel Movements For Babies
The frequency of bowel movements can vary hugely between one baby and another, so consequently, the parameters of whats considered normal are quite wide. This makes it confusing for parents trying to work out whether their baby is overdue a dirty nappy or not. Some babies will produce several dirty nappies in a single day, others may only do one or two a week. Just because a baby hasnt had a bowel movement for several days doesnt mean he or she is constipated as long as the poo, when it does come, remains soft.
Causes Of Newborn Constipation
The most common cause is a change in the diet. Infants who are moving from breast milk to formula might suffer from the problem, as do children who are just starting to eat solid foods. Sometimes a baby might even develop constipation when you introduce a new food, such as a new vegetable or meats.
Other causes might include dehydration if your baby is not getting enough liquid, her stools will not be soft enough to pass.
Medical conditions or certain illnesses can also lead to constipation in newborns. This is uncommon in a healthy baby.
Also Check: How Often Do You Bathe A Newborn
How Can I Treat Newborn Constipation
Constipation can be a hard cycle to break, but when the poop gets tough, the tough gets going! Here’s how you can get rid of the constipation in newborn babies:
- If you have introduced bottle, make sure the formula milk is luke warm when you feed your baby. Breast-milk already has the perfect temperature.
- Hold your newborn’s feet and move them gently as if s/he is riding a bicycle. The pressure between his/her thighs and tummy may trigger the bowel movement.
- Massage the tiny belly gently in circular motion, ideally with some warm baby oil .
- Measure three-fingers’ width down the newborn navel area. Gently press it till you feel a firm spot/ mass. Continue pressing it for a couple of minutes, then release. Your baby may fart and/or pass stool after this.
- Brown sugar works great to relieve newborn constipation . Whether your baby is newborn or is few months old, dissolve some brown sugar in one ounce of water and give it to him/her through a dropper .
- Glycerin Suppository is the 100% proven way to get the poo moving! I tried it with my newborn . It is inserted in the rectum and within half an hour a bulk of stool is out! However, only use it if you have tried all the things stated above. If you make a habit of giving a suppository every time your baby is constipated, the tiny body will get used to it.
Thingsnot To Do In Constipation
- Do not feed the bananas, it can cause constipation.
- Avoid White Toast, rice cereals in babys diet.
- Avoid cows milk for your baby as it is difficult to digest for still developing a digestive system.
- Avoid cheese, ice cream or any milk based products while the baby is constipated.
- Avoid carrots, potatoes, pasta, all other kinds of processed foods.
- Dont give any kind of medication to a baby without consulting with pediatric.
- Regular usage of ragi/finger millet can cause constipation in your baby so avoid to give it in excess.
If your baby is suffering from constipation then try above-mentioned home remedies before consulting the doctor. These home remedies are safe and easy to use. Just try one home remedy at a time, dont use all remedies together.
Leave a comment if you have any query related to baby health and food.
Read Also: How Many Ounces Should A Newborn Baby Eat
How Long Can Your Baby Go Without Pooping
The frequency of your babyâs bowel movements can vary from day to day, and every baby is different. A baby who is consuming formula tends to poop at least once per day, but itâs possible for her not to poop for a day or two without necessarily being constipated.In the early weeks, breastfed babies may poop more often since breast milk is easily digested, but at around 3 to 6 weeks old breastfed babies may start having fewer bowel movements, with as little as one or two per week, but still not be constipated.
Where To Buy Prune Juice
If you have a child in the infant or toddler range, consider keeping prune juice on hand to treat constipation. Having it ahead of time will give you the best opportunity to use it.
You can find prune juice at many grocery and health food stores. Make sure the prune juice is pasteurized. This process kills any harmful bacteria, such as E. coli and Salmonella.
Don’t Miss: How To Add Newborn To Medicaid Nc
What Can I Do If My Baby Is Truly Constipated
Some helpful, safe remedies that soften the stool include:
- a teaspoon of dark Karo syrup in the bottle
- a tablespoon of the heavy syrup found in a can of peaches or pears
- an ounce of the “p” juices: prune, pear, peach, or pineapple
We do NOT recommend:
- honey in the bottle
- glycerin suppositories
- putting other things in the baby’s rectum, like soap or pencils
Baby Constipation May Call For A Change In Diet
If your baby seems constipated, it can be helpful to talk with your pediatrician. You may also want to consider changing your baby’s diet to help relieve their symptoms.
Water and fruit juice. In addition to regular feedings, offer your baby water or 100% fruit juice. Fruit juice contains a sweetener that acts as a laxative. You can start with 2 to 4 ounces and monitor your baby to see if they need more or less.
Baby food. Pureed prunes and peas contain more fiber than other fruits and vegetables. Multigrain cereals are also a good source of fiber that can help your baby pass stool.
Also Check: How Much Formula To Give Newborn
Rule Out Illness Or Dehydration
When a newborn baby has bowel movement issues, the first thing to do is to talk to the babys doctor. When being so young, a pediatrician should examine the baby to rule out any illness or that the baby isnt eating enough hence causing dehydration.
How to Know if Your Newborn Baby IS Actually ConstipatedIs your baby breastfed or bottle-fed? How long has it been since she passed stools? How do you know that she is constipated?
If the poop that does come out is soft, she may not be constipated, but rather have normal newborn problems with passing stools.
That said, being only two weeks old, she should pass stools several times per day, especially if she is breastfed. At around 2 months, most babies start pooping less often, maybe once a day.
How To Help A Constipated Baby
No parent likes to see their child in discomfort and distress, so knowing how to help a constipated baby can make a world of difference. First and foremost, though, its important to realize that constipation in newborns can be a different issue than constipation in older babies. If your baby is not even a month old yet, talk to your pediatrician right awayat this age, constipation could be a sign of an underlying issue, such as Hirschsprungs disease, a rare congenital condition that happens in about one out of 5,000 births and typically requires surgery.
Additionally, if youre exclusively breastfeeding, its important to count those dirty diapers each day because infrequent stooling might actually be a sign of not enough feeding volume, says Blythe.
But if youve spoken to your pediatrician and ruled out other issues, there are some baby constipation home remedies and treatments you can turn to. Here are some things you shouldand shouldnt try to help a constipated baby:
Recommended Reading: How Long Is A Baby Considered A Newborn
When Is Baby Constipation A Sign Of Something Serious
After the first couple of weeks, babies usually settle into a pretty good pooping routine. For bottle-fed babies, that schedule is one to two times a day. Breastfed babies may actually skip a day or so in between bowel movements. In fact, by 1 month of age, they sometimes go a week without having a stool!
Does Bottle Feeding Cause Baby Constipation
2AH4A92 Mother bottle-feeding baby boy on a park bench
All babies can get constipated, but exclusively breastfed babies are less likely to suffer from constipation. As a general rule breastfed babies do poos that are loose, squirty, and dont smell too unpleasant. One of the reasons for this is that when breastfeeding your milk contains a hormone called motilin which aids bowel movements.
Bottle-fed babies can be more likely to get constipated. Formula milk can be harder for babies to digest and their stools tend to be firmer, darker and smellier. Its easy to not add enough water to formula milk, which can subsequently lead to dehydration and constipation.
Also Check: How Much Formula Can Newborn Drink
How Can You Tell If A Newborn Is Constipated
Sneed shared that parents experiencing newborn constipation may see different signs.
Parents may encounter Infant Dyschezia where their babies scream excessively and strain for ten minutes, only to produce loose stools, she said. These infants have not figured out how to simultaneously relax their pelvic floor and push stool out at the same time.
Another recognizable instance of constipation is when foods are introduced into the diet. To avoid constipation problems, Sneed recommends giving babies foods higher in fiber.
This age group should receive a recommended five grams of fiber daily, she said. The best fiber-rich foods are peas and prunes, which have two grams of fiber per serving, and whole wheat, barley or mixed grain baby cereals, which have one to two grams of fiber per serving. The worst options are rice cereal and bananas.
Herbal Remedies For Constipation In Infants
12. Herbal Tea
Take 2 cups each of fresh mint leaves and anise leaves. Boil 2 quarts of water. Pour it over the herbs. Allow to steep till the water gets cool down. Fill the tea in a bottle and give it to the baby, four ounces at a time.
13. Herbal Decoction
Boil a pint of water and add equal parts of licorice root and fennel seed to it. Simmer for 18-20 minutes. Then, let it to cool. Give 1 teaspoon after half an hour.
14. Herbal Teas
- Peppermint TeaHeat the water. Soak a peppermint tea bag in the water for at least 5 minutes. Pour 1 ounce of this water in babys bottle. Besides regular feedings, give this tea to your little one. It will sooth the tummy and ease the digestion, thus, regularizing the bowel movement.
- Chamomile TeaAnother effective remedy is chamomile tea. Dunk a chamomile tea bag in boiling water. Brew it for some time. Give it to your constipated kid.
- Ginger Tea Grate some ginger roots in a pot. Add some boiling water to it. Cover it and steep for 5-6 minutes. Strain it and allow it to cool. Ask your child to sip it.
Don’t Miss: How To Treat Eczema On Newborn Face