Prepare The Babys Space
Whether your baby has their own room, shares a room with a sibling, or is moving into a corner of your room, make sure their space is all ready to go. That means set up the changing table or create a mobile diaper changing station, wash and put away all the baby clothes, put together new baby gear or pull the old stuff out of the garage and make sure its all clean, etc.
What Baby Clothes Do You Need
Baby fashion trends are just as popular–and perhaps as expensive–as adult fashion trends. Every mother is enticed by the notion that the fashionable clothes will make their precious newborn super cute and irresistible.
Here’s a little secret: Newborns spit-up, pee, poop, and grow out of their clothing in record speeds.
Personally, I don’t see the need in buying expensive newborn clothing that could be easily damaged or only last for a few weeks, unless of course it’s an outfit for the first family outing, a baptism, christening, or first photos.
A newborn only needs a few items of clothing, especially in the first few weeks. Here’s what you should have:
- 5-10 Onesies or snap-side t-shirts
- 5-10 pairs of footed pajamas
- 2-4 shirts
- 3-5 swaddling blankets or sleep sacks
- 2 pairs of scratch mittens
- a winter coat or baby bunting
- a sunhat
Don’t go crazy at first buying too many things in the same size. Newborns will outgrow their clothing quickly. Average size newborns might fit best in newborn sized clothing, but they’ll only be in it for two weeks at best. Clothing in size 0-3 months will last longer, even though it may be a bit big at first.
Shoes aren’t necessary for newborns. Socks and booties will suffice until your little one is moving around more.
How Can Fathers Prepare For A Newborn Baby
Because fathers are not the ones carrying the baby, it can be harder for them to know what to prepare for and how to be an active participant in their new babys life. I am a single mother so I cant speak to the dynamic between a father and their new baby, but this post about preparing for birth and newborns is a really good read. Also, here are some general things fathers can do to prepare for a newborn baby:
Recommended Reading: Why Do Newborn Babies Cry When They Are Born
Births Through Assisted Reproduction Surrogacy Or With Three Or Four Parents
Through the Childrens Law Reform Act, you may be recognized as a parent to a child in certain circumstances. For example, you may be recognized as a parent to a child:
- if the child is born to your spouse, where the child was conceived through assisted reproduction or insemination by sperm donor.
- if you are part of a pre-conception parentage agreement for that child that has no more than four parents in the agreement.
- where the child is born using a surrogate, if you had a surrogacy agreement before the child is conceived, and the surrogate agrees to give up parental rights no earlier than 7 days after the child is born.
You can register the birth online for all of the examples listed above.
If the birth involves a surrogate, make sure that you have the following forms completed, signed and commissioned before starting the online registration. You will need to mail them to the Office of the Registrar General to complete the registration.
How Many Baby Clothes Do I Need
For lots of pregnant people, its tough to resist adding a million baby outfits to your registry.
On one hand, messes happena lotand having clothing options for quick outfit changes can be handy. But on the other, babies grow quickly, and your little one isnt going to stay in one size for very long.
So how many clothes does your baby actually need?
Read Also: How To Avoid Diaper Rash Newborn
A Bulk Purchase Of Nappies
It is a good idea to have a few nappies before your baby is born, but don’t bulk buy hundreds of nappies in different sizes because you may find your baby doesn’t suit a particular brand, or grows out of them faster than you expect. I ended up with a whole load of size 2 nappies supposedly for babies 4kg to 8kg that didn’t fit my boy due to his long torso and chunky legs. I also found certain brands fit him a lot better than others.
Take An Infant Cpr Class
Consider taking an infant CPR class with your partner. This is one thing I didnt do before my daughter was born and I still regret to this day. As I mentioned earlier, I suffered from extreme postpartum anxiety. I honestly think had I taken a CPR class before she was born, I wouldve felt a little better knowing if something bad did happen that I had the skills and knowledge I needed to get me through the situation. Would it have taken away my anxiety completely? Probably not, but it wouldve helped and any little bit of help is worth it.
You May Like: What Causes Eczema In Newborn Babies
Feeding A Newborn Baby
What you need to feed a baby depends on how you’re going to feed the baby. If you choose to exclusively breastfeed, you’ll need a lot less than if you choose to bottle feed.
If you’re going to breastfeed, you’ll need some nursing bras, bra pads to catch leaks, a breast pump and supplies if you need to pump, burp cloths, and bibs. It wouldn’t hurt to also have a few bottles if you need to let someone else feed the baby.
If you choose to bottle feed, you’ll need formula, at least 4-10 bottles, nipples with low flow for newborns, a bottle brush, burp cloths and bibs, and a dishwasher basket to wash the supplies.
In either case, there’s no need for fashionable burp cloths, a fancy bottle warmer, or a bottle drying rack:
- Babies spit up on burp cloths the simple white cloth diapers will work excellently for this purpose and be much larger than the smaller decorated burp cloths. They are also less expensive!
- Bottle warmers aren’t necessary and take up space. To warm a bottle, you can the bottle in a measuring cup or bowl and then add hot water around it. You can also simply hold the bottle under hot running water.
- Bottle drying racks are also not necessary and take up space. If you already have a drying rack for your dishes, you can simply use that or use a clean, dry towel on the counter top.
Mom’s Delivery Day Bag Checklist
Create and print a checklist of what mom should have ready in her bag to take to the hospital. You can add or remove items as needed.
Disclaimer: Sending daddy home to pick up something you forgot could lead to him missing the birth. Take a tour of where you will deliver your baby, and where you will stay afterwards. That will give you a better idea of what to bring.
Recommended Reading: How Much Should A Newborn Poop
Grow By Gerber Baby Organic Mittens
Your peanut starts growing nails during week 12 of pregnancy, and they pretty much never stop growing from there. Trimming or filing baby’s nails can be tricky and a chore to maintain.
These scratch-proof mittens keep your little one’s hands covered and are an easy solution to prevent scratches on her sweet face. The mitts are made of soft 100 percent cotton, come in a variety of colors and are machine washable. Plus, the gentle elastic helps them stay put on her tiny hands and wrists. You’ll get three pairs in a package.
Baby With A Single Name
You can register the birth of a baby online with a single name if your culture or the babys culture has a tradition of single names.
Before starting the online registration, make sure that you have the following form completed: Request for a Birth Registration with a Single Name Form, signed and commissioned and have obtained the required evidence as indicated on the form.
After you finish using the online registration service, mail the additional form and required evidence to the Office of the Registrar General to complete the registration. All parents must be present when using the online registration service in order to agree to the single name.
Also Check: What All A Newborn Baby Needs
Annual Daycare Costs May Be Higher Than You Expect
The cost of child care continues to rise, so make sure you start saving for daycare expenses. Annual child care costs for an infant are about $16,000 according to the latest data by the Center for American Progressabout $1,300 per month. The cost of child care can be even more expensive in cities, at around $20,000 annually.
Michelle Young, a Minnesota-based financial advisor for Ameriprise, says having a monthly savings plan can help. “One recommendation would be to practice saving monthly daycare expenses in a separate savings account as a family when you find out you are pregnantand then you will get used to the extra expense before it happens,” says Young. She says the money you save in this account can be used for other unexpected baby expenses as well.
What Should You Buy Before Baby Arrives
One of the most obvious things you need to do before your newborn arrives is buy stuff for them. This is the part where many parents get overwhelmed, I know I was. This is because the list of things you need for a new baby can be very long and confusing. All this stuff can also be a big financial burden. My tip for expecting parents is to stick to the basics.
While you might have a long list of things you want to buy for your newborn, the list of things you will actually need to buy is much shorter. Take it from someone who is obsessed with all things baby gear, baby gadgets, and baby clothesthe world of baby products can suck you in real quick and before you know it youve wasted money and space on things your baby didnt actually need. Baby stuff is a huge post in and of itself, so Ill briefly list the things I think you need to buy before baby arrives:
Recommended Reading: What To Buy For Newborn Baby Gift
Philips Avent Microwave Steam Sterilizer
New parents are always fretting about germs and sanitizing everything for their new little bundle of joy. For your own peace of mind, buy a sterilizer for bottles and pacifiers and let that do the work for you. There are plenty of microwavable and electrical options to choose from at a variety of prices. We like this one because its super fast, effective, and under $25.
Plan For Changes In Your Relationship
One thing that is very important in preparing for a new baby, is being aware of the fact that your relationship with your partner is going to change. Since I didnt personally have a partner when I had a baby, I feel out of my element on this one. However, this post on how to prepare your relationship for a baby tells you all the things that can go wrong and ways to avoid them.
Recommended Reading: How Long Should A Newborn Baby Sleep
Learn As Much As You Can About Newborns
I honestly think the best way to mentally prepare for a new baby is to learn as much as you possibly can. Learn about different types of baby poop, what is normal baby behavior and whats not, how much should they be eating and sleeping, etc. Read books, listen to podcasts, read articles, watch youtube videos. After you have a baby you will instantly start to worry about every little thing and arming yourself with knowledge will help ease that worry a little bit.
The Baby Medicine Cabinet
Discuss the use of over-the-counter medications or treatments with your doctor.
- Thermometer: There are many types available. Some doctors prefer that you use a rectal thermometer to get the most accurate temperature. A digital, plastic thermometer that you can place under your baby’s armpit may be easy for you to use for the first six months, but a rectal temperature is the most accurate in the first 3 months of life. Ear thermometers can be used after age 3 months.
- Pain reliever/fever reducer medicine: Do not use aspirin! Acetaminophen is the only pain reliever/fever reducer approved for for the first 6 months of life. Ask your pediatrician about the proper dose based on your babyâs weight.
- Teething rings to soothe teething gums.
- Small gauze squares to clean wounds.
- Cool mist vaporizer. Good for when baby has a cold.
- Pedialyte or Ricelyte to be used as directed by your child’s pediatrician for fluid replacement during diarrhea or vomiting.
- Infant sunscreen. If your baby is younger than 6 months, keep them out of the sun as much as possible. But no matter how old they are, apply a baby-friendly sunscreen if they’ll be exposed to sunlight.
Keep your baby in the shade as much as you can. Their skin is thinner and more sensitive. Cover them up with clothes and a hat, limit their time in the sun , donât let them get overheated, and get them out of the sun right away if they show any signs of sunburn or dehydration, including fussiness, redness, and excessive crying.
You May Like: What Can I Do To Help My Constipated Newborn
Check One Thing Off At A Time
After you go through this post, I hope you have clarity on how to prepare for a newborn. If you still feel overwhelmed with everything you have to do, my tip for you is to check one thing off your new baby checklist at a time and start preparing early. I even created an actual new baby checklist you can print out and keep on your fridge, sign up to receive it below. Just take a deep breath, dont stress, and check things off as you go. You got this!
Playtime For A Newborn
It may seem silly, but newborns need a bit of playtime or alone time just like us. They need a safe place to stay in while they have this alone time . Here are some items to have:
- Baby swing or bouncer seat. Baby swings and bouncers provide a safe, comfortable seat for newborns as they take in their surroundings, plus they give you a chance to complete a task or take a rest. These swings or seats are generally very colorful and have music for the baby.
- Play Yard. A play yard is an item that can be used from infancy through toddlerhood. It is a foldable play area that has a firm mattress and see-through netted sides. Many today come with a bassinette attachment for infants, plus a diaper changing area. They can be easily transported from room to room or taken on a trip.
Newborns also need tummy time to strengthen their necks. A nice item to have is a tummy time play mat which can be used until the baby is standing months down the road. They are colorful and have mirrors or little toys for the baby to look at and eventually reach for.
Recommended Reading: What Books To Read To Newborns