Pick Them Up And Rock Them Gently
One thing is certain: your baby needs you. Pick them up, rock them gently, talk to them softly. Put them in a baby carrier wrap the closeness to your body will make them feel safe and secure.
Then, when they have calmed down, put them back down to sleep and stay close by until they have fallen asleep.
We need to forget the idea that its best to let them cry it out so as not to spoil them too much and that sooner or later theyll stop crying and learn not to call for attention through crying.
Young babies need our love and attention to grow happy and healthy.
At this early stage, its impossible to spoil your baby: contact between mother and baby is a basic need as well as a natural instinct.
Dont expect them to settle straight away, babies often need a good cry to let off steam and tire them out.
Attachment Milestone : Give And Take Communication
With the third milestone, your babys level of engagement with you becomes more sophisticated.
Your baby uses an ever-increasing range of sounds, facial expressions, and gestureswide eyes, coos, nonsensical babbles, giggles, pointingto invite you to play and to indicate needs and wants.
You continue to watch your childs signals, gestures, and facial expressions and adjust your responses to those cues. You should notice more back and forth communication.
Why Is My Baby Crying So Much
If your babys cry doesnt sound like their normal cry, or they have other symptoms, this could be a sign they are ill. Contact your GP or NHS 111 if you are concerned that your baby is unwell.
You May Like: Can I Use Water Wipes On Newborn Face
Is Your Baby Unresponsive Or Indifferent
Most babies use crying to communicate and they will continue to cry or show that they are upset until a parent or caregiver responds to their needs. Other babies, instead of crying, become upset and then tune out and fail to show any emotion. If you think about it, you probably know more than one adult who acts this way when faced with difficulty. An unresponsive baby might seem like an easy baby, because they may be quiet and agreeable. But a baby that doesnt respond to you, the environment, and sensory influences needs help. Call your pediatrician right away.
NEVER NEVER shake a baby
Shaken Baby Syndrome occurs when a baby is shaken. The blood vessels in a babys head cannot tolerate the impact of shaking and can break.
- The National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome estimates that there are about 1,300 reported cases each year in the U.S.
- Shaking is the leading cause of child abuse deaths and can also result in brain damage, mental retardation, seizures, or blindness.
- Shaking usually happens when parents or caregivers become frustrated or angry when they are not able to stop the baby from crying.
- Shaken baby syndrome is 100% preventable.
Gradual Distance Technique For Your Crying Baby
The gradual distancing technique is one of the methods suggested to help stop a baby from crying at night for no reason. Instead of severing your role in the babys get-back-to-sleep routine in one go, this method advocates doing it in a phased manner. Here is how you can go about this:
With this method, in about a few weeks, you should be able to put down your baby in the crib at bedtime and walk out while he falls asleep on his own. Also, remember the following tips to make the most of this technique:
- It is best to try this only when you feel your baby can handle it. Four months is the suggested age.
- Try not to take a step back when using this method as it can undo all that has been achieved.
Don’t Miss: How To Babysit A Newborn
What Is Shaken Baby Syndrome
Shaken baby syndrome, or abusive head trauma, is when a child’s brain is injured from physical abuse. Most cases happen when a parent or caregiver shakes a baby while angry or frustrated, often because the baby won’t stop crying. These injuries can cause permanent brain damage or death. No one should ever shake a baby for any reason.
Finding ways to ease a parent or caregiver’s stress when a baby is crying can help stop shaken baby syndrome.
Crying Reason #: Internal Temperature
If baby is overheated or cold, they may be uncomfortable and will try to communicate through crying. This can happen if they are swaddled in a thick blanket, or if theyre wearing a jacket while in a car seat. Baby should have a jacket they wear in their car seat that is different from a typical winter jacket: one that is not too puffy and doesnt cause them to overheat. You can also remove babys jacket, and then place it over them once they are in their car seat.
Read Also: How To Get My Newborn Sleep At Night
Will My Baby’s Crying Change As They Grow
A babys feeding, age, environment and temperament all have an impact on their behaviour. All babies go through changes in their crying patterns and sometimes its hard to work out why.
In the first 3 years of life, babies are developing connections or pathways in their brain and need consistent, nurturing care to feel safe. This takes a lot of energy from parents, who often feel tired and sleep deprived.
As your baby gets older, their sleep patterns will become more predictable. Newborns sleep between 14 and 17 hours of each 24-hour day. As they mature, theyll need less sleep during the day and have more continuous sleep overnight.
Nightmares Or Night Terrors
Though most common around 3 to 4 years old, nightmares or night terrors can definitely disrupt a babys sleep and leave them crying hysterically for you during the night. But most babies wont begin having night terrors until 18 months, so if your baby is younger than that, its probably not the cause.
Younger babies are, however, prone to an overactive startle reflex that can often look like theyve woken up from a bad dream.
Babies will startle themselves awake between sleep cycles, Ahmed says, and it just takes a pat on the back or a physical touch to help them back to sleep.
Don’t Miss: How To Grocery Shop With Newborn
Your Newborn Is Crying Because They Are Tired
In most cases, excessive wailing means your baby is tired and needs to settle a little before they are able to fall asleep.
During the first few weeks of life, babies are overloaded with stimulation, a sensation which they are not used to nor know how to manage. They cry to release tension and because they need to feel calm and comforted before they are able to settle.
Help making their surroundings calmer, by keeping lighting and noise low, and staying close by until they fall asleep. You dont need to hold them, just comforting or stroking them whilst they are in the crib is enough.
How Long Does The Crying Last
Early intervention can nip the problem in the bud and ensure you and your baby have peaceful nights. By resorting to appropriate methods of dealing with the crying, you can bring about changes in your babys behaviour in as little as two weeks. But this task gets more difficult as your baby grows older. Children aged one year or older are likely to fight off going to bed, even when they are sleepy and exhausted. They can cry for hours, protesting at the changes brought about in their schedule. If you do not take remedial measures when your child is an infant, the crying can last up until three or four years of age.
Don’t Miss: How To Check Newborn Hearing
Causes Of Unexplained Crying
- Hungry Baby. The most common reason babies cry is because they are hungry. They stop crying at the onset of feeding. By the end of the feeding, they are happy.
- Sleepy Baby. The second reason babies cry is they need sleep. They need their parent to put them in a comfortable position. It may be swaddled and on their back. Then they fuss a little and fall asleep.
- Fed Too Much. Some babies cry because of a bloated stomach from overfeeding. Unlike gas, too much milk can cause discomfort that lasts a short time.
- Caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant that can cause increased crying and trouble falling asleep. Breastfeeding mothers need to limit their caffeine intake.
- Clothing. Being too hot or too cold can make a baby cry. So can clothing that is too tight.
- Dirty Diaper. Stool is very irritating to the skin. If not cleaned off, it can cause pain and burning.
- Colic. Colic is the main cause of recurrent crying during the early months. All babies have some normal fussy crying every day. When this occurs over 3 hours per day, it’s called colic. When they are not crying, they are happy.
- Pain . Painful causes include an earache, mouth ulcers, or a raw diaper rash. An ulcer on tip of penis may also cause pain and crying. These babies cry a lot and are not happy when they are not crying. They need to see a doctor to make a diagnosis. Fever in this age group is serious until proven otherwise. Shaken baby syndrome is a concern.
Why Does My Baby Wake Up Crying Overnight
Its one thing when your baby wakes up in the middle of the night gurgling, cooing and playing with her toes. Its another when she seems to be in distress. While not all cries are signs of discomfort, your baby could be dealing with temporary sleep disruptors like illness, teething, separation anxiety or other age-appropriate fears.
Newborns cry often. Most sobbing sessions are unrelated to urgent needs, and may even help baby calm down and get to sleep. If your older baby cries overnight after a stretch of sleeping through the night without fussing, learning to decode the hidden messages in those sounds will help you decide what to do.
Here’s why an older baby might be waking up overnight:
Do One Thing At A Time
To stop the crying pronto, parents will often pile one strategy upon another, in quick succession.
Parents often hold, bounce, shush, sing, pat, change positions all at once! They also will try to change the diaper, feed, and finally pass off to the other parent for a turn. Oftentimes all these happen within a couple of minutes. The only thing this does is overstimulate the baby, says Ideran.
Instead, carry out one action at a time such as just rocking, just patting, or just singing and stick with it for about 5 minutes to see if your baby settles. If not, try another relief method.
At What Age Do Babies Stop Crying When They Wake Up
There is no particular age when a baby stops crying when they wake up. Older babies tend to sleep for long without interruptions. However, if they are disturbed by anything during sleep, your baby may wake up crying.
Sleep needs may vary depending on the infants age. A newborn tends to sleep several times for a shorter duration.The duration gradually increases,while the frequency of sleep decreases with age .
Older babies tend to sleep for longer during the night. That means babies who are nine months old may have longer nighttime sleep than a three-month-old baby.
Most babies may sleep for six hours at a stretch and cry due to hunger when they wake up. Babies usually do not sleep throughout the night before the age of four to six months of age.
Don’t Miss: When To Get Newborn Photos
Is This Really Normal
If you feel like your baby cries a lot, for a long time, and you find it hard to soothe them, youre far from alone. In fact, between two in ten and five in ten babies cry for long stretches, without an obvious reason, during the first three to four months .
Long stretches of crying can start when your little one is around two weeks old and continue until they reach three to four months. Inconsolable crying that can last up to five hours a day is a perfectly normal stage of development called the period of PURPLE crying. PURPLE is not about the colour its short for: Peak of crying Unexpected Resists soothing Pain-like face Long lasting and Evening .
Will Things Get Better
Any crying can be tough to cope with. The good news is that as you become more confident with your baby and they become more familiar with the world around them, you both start to relax and feel less distressed.
When your baby is eight to nine weeks old, you might notice they start to cry a little less. In fact, babies aged 10 to 12 weeks tend to cry on average for around an hour per day. This still sounds like a lot, but in fact this is about half the amount they cried as newborns up until the six-week mark .
Katie*, a mum of two, shared her experience of excessive crying with her second baby:
“Max was so chilled out for the first two weeks. We even booked a last-minute holiday thinking how easy it would be.
“I spent every evening on that holiday pacing around the hotel with him screaming. We tried reflux medication, cranial osteopathy, you name it…but he just gradually calmed down given time.
“Around 12 weeks was the real turning point for us and now those nights of crying are a distant memory, thankfully.”
You May Like: What Is The Healthiest Formula For Newborns
What Do I Do If My Baby Wakes Up In The Middle Of The Night
While what to do will depend on whats causing the night waking, there are definitely do’s and donts for soothing a baby back to sleep.
- Do check for lights and noise first. Some babies wake up to stimuli that are barely noticeable to you , like the sound of a far-off siren or a light left on in the hallway. A white noise machine or blackout shades can help minimize those distractions.
- Do make sure she doesn’t need a diaper change and isn’t sick or in pain. A baby with a dirty diaper, or one who’s not feeling well or has hurt herself will wake up overnight fussing, so checking for all those possibilities is a good idea.
- Don’t go rushing in to scoop her up. If your little one is fussy but not in any distress, resist the urge to pick her up. Instead, try giving her a gentle pat until she calms down, but stop just before sleep comes so she learns to nod off on her own. A pacifier can also help.
- Don’t assume she’s hungry if she’s gotten enough to eat during the day. If your older baby has been sleeping through the night without eating for a while, starting the habit of feeding her overnight again to soothe her back to dreamland isn’t a good idea and will be hard to break. But if she’s a bit younger and really still does need to eat overnight, then a feeding session might be in order.
How To Calm Your Crying Baby At Night
If your baby wakes up crying at night despite all his needs being met, it is likely that he has made it a habit. Here are some ways in which you can help your child calm down and sleep through the night:
- Put your baby in the crib or on the bed when hes drowsy but still awake. Be certain to place your child in the crib at this point even if his bedtime ritual has not been completed. The babys last waking memory has to be of the bed or crib, and not of you. This will encourage him to go back to sleep on his own when he wakes up in the middle of the night.
- If your baby refuses to stop crying at bedtime, keep visiting him at intervals of five to fifteen minutes. You can keep increasing the duration between visits. However, do not let the baby get too upset if he seems extremely fussy or afraid, hold him till he calms down. You can sit in the room for a few moments till he calms down, but try to leave before he falls asleep.
- Dont take your child out of the crib or bed once you have tucked him in for the night. Rocking your baby until he falls asleep or bringing him into your bed for a while will defeat the purpose of this exercise.
- Introduce your baby to a security object such as a soft toy or a blanket if your baby is six months or older. This will be of comfort to your baby when he wakes up at night and he will soon be happy cuddling this object instead of you at night.
Some other things that you can try to ensure a regular sleep schedule for your child are:
Don’t Miss: What’s The Best Formula For Newborns
Crying While Transitioning From One Sleep Cycle To The Next
Like adults, babies sleep in cycles. But unlike adults, babies transition between sleep cycles very rapidly, spending more time in REM sleep than deep sleep.During this stage, you may notice your babys eyes moving a lot under their eyelids . Babies can even be seen moving their arms and legs, closing and opening their hands, twitching or jerking, or yes, even crying during REM sleep.
With sleep cycles lasting just 40 minutes on average, many babies will experience a brief awakening at the end of each one. During this brief awakening, babies may cry for a few minutes and put themselves back to sleep or may not even fully awaken.