Reasons Putting Baby To Sleep In A Bassinet Is Important:
What Is A Bassinet
A bassinet is a small bed that can be used for your baby to sleep in. They are usually smaller than a crib and have a fixed frame with removable fabric or mesh sides.
These are typically found next to the adults bed, but some people choose to have them elsewhere in their homes.
There are many different types of bassinets available on the market today ranging from very basic ones all the way up to designer models with special features and accessories included.
Bassinets are generally used until babies reach about six months function properly during pregnancy and after delivery!
OK on to the helpful tips to get your newborn to sleep in a bassinet
How To Get Your Newborn To Sleep In A Bassinet
With a newborn, there are many things that you need to learn in order to ensure that your baby is healthy. But you need to make sure that you know how to get your newborn to sleep in a bassinet.
Newborn babies are very delicate, they have to be well taken care of in order to keep them healthy and well.
Its hard for a parent not to pay attention to what they are doing every minute of the day. Babies need to be swaddled, which means having their limbs wrapped up tightly in a blanket so they cant move or scratch themselves.
Another thing you can do is to make sure your baby is sleeping in a bassinet. In order to get your newborn to sleep in a bassinet, you must take a few important steps.
If you want your baby to sleep in a bassinet, then you need to make sure that you are following some rules to ensure that your baby sleeps well.
Also Check: How Much Formula Should Newborn Have
Swaddle Aka Wrap Baby Up Like A Burrito
Having been tightly curled up in the womb for so long, complete freedom of arms and legs will feel very insecure to your newborn. Swaddling restricts movement and creates deep pressure touch, calming and settling baby. It recreates the cocooning feeling baby was so accustomed to in the womb.
Swaddling also has an important secondary purpose: to prevent the Moro reflex, a newborn reflex with little purpose in modern-day man and irritatingly can jump your little one wide awake in a nano second.
The lack of a neat and snug swaddle could definitely be a factor in your baby waking up as soon as you put her down in the bassinet. So get swaddling!
Top swaddle tips
- An effective swaddle needs to be secure and snug with just enough room for you to fit 2 fingers inside at the chest
- Practice on a friends baby, doll or when your own baby is sleeping
- Newborns often scream blue murder at the sight of the swaddle it doesnt mean they hate it! Once on,and youve got it snug and secure you should find baby calms instantly
- For those little escape artists, ensure arms are straight and flat to babys side or try double swaddling
- Keep botching your baby burritos? Try a fancy swaddle that does all the hard work for you there are a tonne on the market and some great no-nonsense reviews, such as this one.
- For hip-healthy swaddling, allow plenty of movement around the hips and legs
When To Start Using A Crib
Your babyâs crib is an essential item, but when should they start sleeping in it? Many, if not most, parents start using one right away when they bring their newborn home from the hospital. Other parents prefer to have their baby sleep in a bassinet for a few weeks, as itâs more portable than a crib. Keep in mind that a baby will outgrow a bassinet quickly, often in the first month, so you may prefer to skip this item altogether and have your baby sleep in a crib from the get-go.
Recommended Reading: Why My Newborn Cries At Night
Sing Lullaby Or Read A Book
Once you place him in the bassinet, you can sing him a lullaby or read a book. When you sing to your baby, your voice will soothe him and he will fall asleep in no time. Reading a book or a short story will also calm him, and your little one will fall asleep and sleep comfortably in the bassinet. White noise machines can also help baby stay asleep once he dozes off.
Establishing Routine With A Newborn
Newborn babies will sleep on and off throughout the day and night. It can be helpful to have a pattern, but you can always change the routine to suit your needs. For example, you could try waking your baby for a feed just before you go to bed in the hope that youâll get a long sleep before they wake up again.
Read Also: What Immunizations Do Newborns Get
Sleep Troubleshooting For Your Infant
- Burp well. Babies cant sleep well if theyre in discomfort. One trick I always use is rubbing the bottom left side of babys back, where the stomach is located. This often gets a burp immediately. Rub babys back up and down well, and do the normal burping practices, and try to make sure baby doesnt have any gas bubbles left before putting him down. This is particularly important if you have hyper lactation .
- Sing quietly. Babies love mommys voice. Choose a song you sing every time before bed. Its a super positive sleep association.
If you would like to create a simple and easy wind down routine that anyone putting baby down can follow plus some BONUS baby sleep troubleshooting checklists, .
Your Baby Is Overstimulated
Itâs not uncommon for newborns to be overstimulated before bedtime. Too much activity or stimulation right before sleep can cause your baby to have a harder time falling asleep. An overtired baby will be overly fussy and will stay awake for long periods.
Establishing a bedtime routine is one of the most common sleep solutions. An overtired newborn baby is usually in need of soothing patterns and routines. These routines cue them that bedtime is coming and help your baby sleep soundly.
You May Like: How To Put My Newborn To Sleep
Why Your Baby Might Not Want To Sleep In A Crib
When you put your little one down for a nap or sleep, cries and protests arenât necessarily communicating that your baby wonât sleep in a crib rather, theyâre a natural response to being away from you. Your baby knows you exist and loves you, so being away from you may lead to some tears and protests. Crying and are natural and normal, and in many cases, babies will cry or fuss for only a few minutes before dropping off to sleep.Consult your baby’s healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns about your little oneâs sleep schedule and get even more advice by downloading our new parentsâ guide!
Is It Ok To Put Baby To Sleep Without Burping
Technically yes, but we would always recommend trying to help your baby relieve gas. Putting your baby to sleep with trapped gas can cause discomfort and also lead to your baby waking up earlier.
Most newborn babies need to be burped after feeding, whether they stay awake or not is a different story! If you need to burp a sleeping baby, try not to worry. Just take it slow and try to keep them in a slightly upright position. As babies grow, they tend to need burping less. This is because they can start sitting up on their own and therefore can allow gas bubbles to release naturally.
Read Also: What Do I Need To Buy For A Newborn
Recommended Reading: Why Is My Newborn Spitting Up Breast Milk
Can You Do Cry It Out With A Newborn To Get Them To Sleep
No, absolutely not. You should never leave a newborn to cry for an extended period of time . Newborns cry to communicate their needs. They need to eat often and you need to feed on demand i.e. whenever they are hungry.
If its not food there are plenty of other reasons you might be needed: diaper change, trapped wind, pain or discomfort, comfort, help getting to sleep .
Safety Rules For Using Bassinets
When preparing your babyâs bassinet or crib, be sure to follow safe sleep guidelines.
Don’t Miss: How Can I Make My Newborn Poop
Things You Can Do To Help Your Baby Sleep In The Bassinet
It is super frustrating when your newborn will not sleep in the bassinet. Here are 4 things you can do to help your baby sleep in the bassinet.
If you want to grab my baby sleep timing chart click here:
How To Make Pack And Play A Safe Sleep Environment
You can ensure your babys safety in a pack and play by keeping the following safe sleep guidelines in mind .
Always put your baby to sleep on his/her back as it is the safest position for them to sleep.
Use a tight-fitting and firm mattress at the base or bottom play area of the pack and play. It ensures there are no loose gaps between the mattress and the mesh walls.
Place the pack and play in your room. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, room sharing could reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome by 50% . Room sharing also makes nighttime feeding and changing diapers easier.
Do not keep any loose bedding or pillows in or near the sleeping area with intentions to keep your baby warm, as it increases the risk of suffocation.
Ensure that the pack and play is properly set on a firm surface and the sides are locked tightly before putting your baby into it.
Do not add any extra bedding except the mattress provided or recommended by the manufacturer.
Read Also: What To Buy For A Newborn Baby Girl
The Room Is Too Hot Or Too Cold
If your baby is cold, they wont be able to fall asleep. If theyre too hot, the same applies. Be sure the room is comfortable to promote good sleeping habits.
When your baby wont sleep in the bassinet, take care of all of those needs, and see what happens. It may be a simple fix to get them into dreamland while in their bassinet.
Put Baby To Sleep When Awake
Some new parents think that they have to rock their babies to sleep before actually put them down. But, putting them to sleep when theyre still awake is actually better for them. This teaches them how to self-soothe and fall asleep by themselves.
But, you dont want to put them to bed when theyre wide awake. Wait until theyre sleepy and relaxed. This will make it easier for them to fall asleep once you put them down.
You May Like: What’s The Weight For Newborn Diapers
Young Babies Sleep Needs:
- Babies need to feed frequently. Newborn babies need to feed approximately 8-12 times every 24 hours. This makes it difficult to learn how to get a newborn to sleep in more than 4-5 hour increments. The transition to longer, consolidated stretches of sleep is gradual, and will increase as nighttime feedings decrease.
- Babies need to be changed. Infants stomachs and bladders are too small to hold the calories required for their rapid growth. As such, they relieve themselves overnight, and out of wet discomfort, begin to cry or fuss. Look for high-quality overnight diapers that can keep them more comfortableand keep you both asleep for longer.
- Babies need touch and motion. Newborns in particular enjoy being in a squished environment , which is why swaddling is so important. Not only is swaddling a source of comfort, but it can also minimize the startle reflex that may cause your baby to wake in the middle of the night. Infants are also accustomed to the constant motion and rocking of the womb to help them sleep better, pick up a swing, cradle, or rocking bassinet that can mimic the same effect.
- Babies need to develop hormones. Human circadian rhythms is driven by hormones. These generally dont develop until around 12 weeks of age, meaning that up until this point, babies have little understanding of day or night, wake time or sleep time.
Now that weve covered your infants sleep needs, lets take a look at the common challenges you may face when putting baby to sleep.
What Is Tummy Time
Tummy time is when you put your baby on her stomach while shes awake. It can help make your babys neck, shoulder and arm muscles stronger. It also helps prevent flat spots on the back of your babys head that she may get from sleeping on her back. Always watch your baby during tummy time or make sure an adult who is awake is watching your baby.
Recommended Reading: How To Apply For Us Passport For Newborn
What Is Safe Sleep
Safe sleep means putting your baby to sleep in ways that can help protect him from dangers, like choking and suffocation , and sudden infant death syndrome . SIDS is the unexplained death of a baby younger than 1 year old. SIDS usually happens when a baby is sleeping. Its sometimes called crib death because the baby often dies in his crib.
How To Get Baby To Sleep Through The Night
Every baby is unique, and learning how to make your baby sleep will depend on his or her special circumstances.
Weve collected our top tips to help new parents learn how to put a baby to sleepwhether your little one is a relatively easy sleeper or struggles to go down.
- Be realistic. Set yourself up for success and be realistic. If you think learning how to get a baby to sleep throughout the night means 8-9 hours, youre setting yourself up for failure.
- Help them attune to day and night. If your baby doesnt appreciate that nighttime is for sleep, youre fighting an uphill battle. Instead of waiting for their internal clock to develop on their own, help them get in sync with a 24-hour day by supporting their tendency to wake at roughly the same time every morning.
Expose them to daylight during the day and into the afternoon, and use light strategically at night. Minimize exposure to artificial lights at nightespecially blue light, which is known for blocking the brains production of melatonin . Alternatively, if youre trying to delay your babys rest to keep them on schedule, a little exposure to blue light can be used to delay sleepiness for an hour or more.
This doesnt have to be accomplished all at once adjust their schedule little by little until youve lengthened their wake time long enough to where they no longer experience sleep issues at night.
You May Like: How Long Do Babies Wear Newborn Diapers