Make Sure Theyre Drinking Enough
If youre breastfeeding, continue to offer lots of feeds6. If your little one is formula-fed, try offering them sips of cooled, boiled tap water between their feeds, particularly if its hot weather10. For babies who have started weaning, offer sips of water from a free-flow cup at the end of your babys meals10.
How To Quickly Relieve A Constipated Baby
Are you wondering if you have a constipated baby on hand?
The one thing no one tells you about being a new parent is how much you will obsess over baby poop.
Most new parents are freaked out about the slightest irregularity in the babies bowel movement.
If you are looking for remedies for constipation in babies, you are at the right place. Read on, to find out how to relieve a constipated baby.
Foods That Relieve Constipation In Babies
Certain high fiber foods can help relieve constipation in babies above 6 months of age.
Avoid offering too much bread, white pasta, applesauce, rice cereal. All these foods are low in fiber and can cause constipation.
When all these options do not work, and its been more than 8 -10 days that baby has passed a motion, you may want to talk with your pediatrician to see if further medical help is needed. Until then, do not stress continue giving baby lots of exercise, massage, and fiber-rich foods.
Do you know of home remedies for constipation in babies? Leave me a comment with what remedies worked for your baby.
Don’t Miss: How To Check If Newborn Can Hear
Quick Home Remedies For Baby Constipation
Some quick-fire solutions to cure minor constipation are:
- Have a warm bath. The sensation of bathing helps to loosen your babys bowel.
- Drink more fluids. If youve recently switched to more solid food, ensure youre including lots of water in their diet.
- Baby cycling. Lay your baby on their back and move their legs around in a cycling motion.
- Baby massage. Massage your babys tummy in a clockwise, circular motion.
Constipation In Newborns: Tips To Prevent And Treat It Quickly
Infant constipation is not uncommon. In fact, it can happen to as many as 20% of newborn babies and cause distress to parents. This blog post explains what the causes of constipation are, signs that a newborn may be experiencing constipation and how to relieve it quickly. It also discusses prevention strategies for newborns so that they will never experience this uncomfortable condition again and you, devoted moms and dads, have no more worries.
Recommended Reading: What Is The First Vaccine For Newborn Baby
Natural Remedies For Constipation In Infants
1. Stomach Massage
Gently massage the stomach of your baby, in a clockwise direction with the help of your fingertips. Massage around the naval as well, in an outward, spherical motion. It will eradicate the tension out of your babys tummy and give him/her relief from the symptoms of constipation.
- Keep your infant on his/her back. Hold his/her legs in a ½ bent position. Gently move babys legs in such a way, as if s/he paddling a bicycle. Do it at a steady pace. Leg bicycling is a great fun for your child and loosens up the intestines.
- Carry your newborn baby around in a squat position. Elevate his/her little legs in a way that s/he is squatting on your forearm like a bunny or frog. It will exert a little pressure on the kids rectum and help him/her to defecate.
3. Sugar Solution
Mix ½ teaspoon of sugar in an ounce of water. Give this solution to your baby three times a day before feeding him/her formula food. Instead of white sugar, it is recommended to use brown sugar for preparing this solution.
Note- Utilize cooled boiled water for this remedy.
4. Prune Juice
Add diluted prune juice to newborns bottle of formula. It will help him/her get rid of constipation.
- If your child is older than 4 months, mix 4 oz of breast or formula milk with 1 oz of prune juice. Give it twice a day.
- If your little one is less than 4 months, just a tablespoon of prune juice in 4 oz of breast or formula milk, two times a day is enough to regulate the bowel movement.
Contact Doctor During Office Hours
- Leaking stool
- Suppository or enema was needed to get the stool out
- Infrequent stools do not get better after changes to diet. Exception: normal if breastfed infant more than 1 month old and stools are not painful.
- Stool softeners are being used and have not been discussed with your doctor
- Toilet training is in progress
- Painful stools occur 3 or more times after changes to diet
- Constipation is a frequent problem
- You have other questions or concerns
Also Check: How Long Do Babies Use Newborn Diapers
Ginger And Honey Solution
Ginger is really helpful to treat the digestion problems.
Recipe of Making Ginger Honey Solution
This remedy is helpful for 1 years older children.
What Causes Constipation
The most common cause is when a child will not pass a stool because they expect pain so they delay toileting and the problem gets worse.
When constipation occurs in a baby, it is often because they are not getting enough fluid in their diet.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Through The Night With A Newborn
When To Visit A Doctor
Constipation is rarely caused by a serious condition, but if your tamariki hasnt improved after a few days, or youre worried, call PlunketLine or visit your doctor.
If the constipation lasts a long time or keeps coming back, talk to your doctor – they may prescribe a medicine to help soften the poos.
When To Seek Help
Very rarely, constipation can be a sign of an underlying health problem. If a baby under 6 weeks is constipated, you will need an assessment by a doctor to exclude an underlying condition.
Take your baby to a doctor, or seek help from a midwife or child health nurse if:
- your babys poo is dry and crumbly or like pellets, or they seem to have pain and discomfort when doing a poo
- your baby is constipated and they are gaining weight slowly
- they have blood in their poo
You can also read more about constipation in children.
You May Like: How Often Can I Bathe My Newborn
Symptoms Of Constipation In Babies
Constipation isnât just about how often your baby poops. Itâs also about how tough it is for them to do it. If they have soft, easy-to-pass stools every 4-5 days, theyâre probably OK. On the other hand, you should talk to your doctor if they:
- Have a hard time going or seem uncomfortable
- Have hard stools
- Have a swollen belly
What Are The Reasons For Baby Constipation
Babies often become constipated due to changes in their diet. Breast milk is relatively easy to digest because this is their initial, natural food source it needs to be easily digestible as its when their digestive system is at its most delicate.
However, if your baby switches to formula and later, on to more processed foods, it can take a while for their digestive system to register the change.
Constipation occurs in around 15% of babies and is a natural part of growing up.
Also Check: What I Need For My Newborn Baby
Constipation In Newborns: Know The Causes And Treatments
If there is anything worse than having constipation, its watching your newborn deal with it. Newborn constipation often happens when a child transitions from one food to another, such as going from breast milk to formula, or from formula to solid foods. The absence of daily bowel movements doesnt necessarily indicate constipation what you should look for is the passage of dry, very hard bowel movements. After knowing the cause of constipation in your baby, proper measures should be taken to get rid of this discomfort.
When Should You Seek Medical Help For Your Babys Constipation
Most times, trying one or more of the home remedies above helps relieve infant constipation. However, additional signs that should prompt you to make a trip to your childs doctor include:
- Your infant did not have a bowel movement in the past three days and is vomiting, weak or irritable.
- Your two-month-old infant is constipated.
- You see blood in your babys stools.
- Your baby is crying incessantly with every bowel movement.
- There is no improvement in your babys constipation even after trying all the home remedies.
Also Check: How To Get Your Newborn To Sleep In A Bassinet
Use A Glycerin Suppository
Glycerin suppositories are very effective laxatives that your Pediatrician may prescribe in the event that your baby suffers from frequent constipation.
While you may not like the idea of giving your baby a medication at their young age, glycerin suppositories have proven to be safe, effective, and gentle.
If all else fails, and you are forced to choose medication instead of natural methods of constipation relief, then a glycerin suppository is probably your best option. These can generally be picked up at your local drug store or pharmacy.
Read Also: How Long A Newborn Should Sleep
How To Know If Your Toddler Is Constipated
Again, defined broadly, constipation in kids will look like fewer than two successful poops per week. But children can still experience discomfort before things get to this point.
If youre parenting a toddler, you know their verbal skills may not have developed to the point where they can pipe up and say, Im constipated!
Still, the signs and symptoms arent too difficult for parents and caregivers to spot.
Watch out for these indicators of constipation in toddlers:
- stools that are hard, dry, or pebble-like
- straining or pain when trying to pass large pieces of stool
- abdominal pain
Just like with adults, toddlers digestive habits are a delicate balance of multiple factors, from diet to emotional issues to daily routine. Add potty training to the mix and you may find yourself with the perfect storm of digestive delay.
Here are some of the causes of constipation in young kids.
You May Like: What Do You Need For A Newborn Baby List
When To Call The Doctor
- Your baby is irritable and seems to be having abdominal pain.
- You see blood in your baby’s stool.
- Your baby’s constipation does not improve with current treatment.
If you have any questions or concerns, call your baby’s doctor at ___________________.
HH-I-14 7/84, Revised 3/14 Copyright 1984, Nationwide Children’s Hospital
How Long Can Your Baby Go Without Pooping
The frequency of your babyâs bowel movements can vary from day to day, and every baby is different. A baby who is consuming formula tends to poop at least once per day, but itâs possible for her not to poop for a day or two without necessarily being constipated.In the early weeks, breastfed babies may poop more often since breast milk is easily digested, but at around 3 to 6 weeks old breastfed babies may start having fewer bowel movements, with as little as one or two per week, but still not be constipated.
Also Check: What Should Newborn Bath Water Temp Be
Should You See A Doctor About Constipation In Children
You should take your child to the GP if your child:
- needs a laxative more than a few times a year
- has constipation that doesnt get better after you give them a laxative
- hasnt done a poo for seven days
- poos in their pants without meaning to
- has constipation and also fever, vomiting, blood in their poo or weight loss
- has painful cracks in the skin around their anus
- has constipation and youre worried they arent eating or drinking enough.
Applesauce For Baby Constipation
Applesauce is absolutely one to AVOID when it comes to constipation. While apple juice contains fiber to help pass poop, applesauce is actually a culmination of the whole of the apple, rather than just the juice.
This means it contains a high pectin level, which binds poop and gives it more body. Because of its firming qualities, it can actually cause constipation rather than relieving it.
Read Also: When Can I Give My Newborn A Pacifier
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Infant Constipation
The following signs may indicate your baby is constipated:
Your baby has hard bowel movements that look like round, ball-shaped pellets
Your baby may arch her back or cry when having difficulty passing a bowel movement. Keep in mind that itâs common for infants to strain when poopingâafter all your baby will most likely be pooping while lying on her back, which isnât that easy to do. If your baby passes a soft bowel movement after straining, she is probably not constipated
Your baby’s bowel movements are happening less frequently than normal.
What Are The Signs Of Constipation
The most important sign of constipation is that the poo is hard and dry or crumbly and it looks like marbles. Other signs of constipation in babies are:
- Your baby is crying and looks uncomfortable before doing a poo.
- The poo or wind smells bad.
- Your baby isnt eating as much.
- Your baby has a hard belly.
If the poo is very hard, it can sometimes cause small tears to form around your babys anus . These little tears can bleed and can cause your baby more pain and discomfort.
Don’t Miss: How To Get A Dna Test On A Newborn
Whats The Best Way To Relieve Baby Consitpation
Feed her foods that are high in fiber. A diet high in fiber is the mainstay of managing constipation in infants, says Harrison. Be careful though: Young children dont digest fiber the same way adults do too much may cause bloating, gas, or diarrhea. In order to unclog your babys system, prunes work wonders. Other naturally fiber-friendly foods include pears, peaches, apricots, plums, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and oat/barley baby cereal mixed with prune, pear, or apricot.
Make sure that shes drinking plenty of water. Dont forget to keep your baby hydrated. The constipation problem could be as simple as flushing out your babys pipes.
Keep her active. If shes mobile, shes already pretty active. But, if shes not crawling or walking yet, ask your healthcare provider if there are any massage techniques that you can do with your baby to help exercise the limbs and get the insides moving smoothly again.
Okay, so, there is no definitive cure for baby constipation, but as parents we can do a lot to alleviate our babies constipation symptoms. Adding fiber to their diet is a great start, but there are times and situations when fiber is not enough. As with anything health related, it is important to work with your pediatrician if you notice changes in your babys pooping pattern.
More Baby Health Info: