Why Your Child Should Have A Social Security Number
Technically, you dont have to get your newborn a Social Security number. But theyll need one if you want to:
- Claim your child as a dependent on your income tax return.
- Open a bank account in their name.
- Buy savings bonds for them.
- Get medical coverage for the child.
- Apply for any kind of government services for your child.
Additional Tips That You Need To Keep In Mind
- In case your child was born outside the US but still has a right to US citizenship through parentage youll have to provide the social security administration with a foreign birth certificate.
- The documents that you provide to prove your childs identity must not be expired, they must show your childs name clearly. It helps to submit a document that also has a photograph of your child. An ID without a photo is also acceptable as long as it gives enough information that can aid the verification process.
- Before issuing a social security number for a newborn the social security administration requires your childs U.S passport but if that is not available they may also accept an adoption decree, a clinic/ hospital record, or a religious record.
Medical Officer at Ammar Medical Complex, Founder at Therightparenting and Owner and Founder at OOPER with Syed Ahmad Raza
Find me on: Web |
Recommended Reading: How To Help Newborn Sleep In Crib
Can I Get A Replacement If Ive Lost My Sin
- To replace your lost SIN, youll need to visit your local Service Canada branch. If you visit with all the appropriate documents, Service Canada will give you your SIN number on the spot.
- If you live more than 100 km from a Services Canada branch or cannot visit a Service Canada branch because of a special situation, you can make a SIN request by mail. But, before mailing your SIN request, you must first get permission from Service Canada by calling 1-800-206-7218 .
- Its important to note that you will only be issued a brand new SIN if you were the victim of identity theft or fraud. Check out Service Canadas Protecting your Social Insurance Number web page for details.
Don’t Miss: What To Pack For Your Newborn At The Hospital
Verifying Social Security Numbers
ISSUE DATE: 12/2014
MFIP, DWP:A parent may request a Social Security number for a newborn child on the birth certificate application. The state vital statistics office sends the birth registration data to the Social Security Administration . Social Security Administration issues an SSN and sends a Social Security card to the parent for the child.Accept form SSA-2853-OP4 as verification that the unit has applied for an SSN. Keep the form, or a copy of it, in the case file.Remind the parent that they must report the SSN to the county agency when the number is received.SNAP:A parent may request a Social Security number for a newborn child on the birth certificate application. The state vital statistics office sends the birth registration data to the Social Security Administration . Social Security Administration issues an SSN and sends a Social Security card to the parent for the child.Accept form SSA-2853-OP4 as verification that the unit has applied for an SSN. Keep the form, or a copy of it, in the case file.If the unit cannot provide or apply for an SSN for the newborn immediately following the birth, allow the unit to provide the SSN or proof of application for an SSN for the newborn at its next recertification or within 6 months following the month of the baby’s birth, whichever is later. Also see .Remind the parent that they must report the SSN to the county agency when the number is received.MSA, GA, GRH:
How To Get A Newborn Social Security Number
A newborn Social Security Number is one of the most important documents you can obtain for your new baby. With an SSN, you can enroll your infant in government programs and a medical coverage network. You can also open a savings account for him or her. For these reasons, it is important that you understand how to get a Social Security Number for a newborn.
If you give birth in a hospital, you may be prompted to obtain a Social Security card for your baby by hospital staff. Remember that this is the same as applying for an SSN for your child. This is because the SSN will be printed on your childs Social Security card. This is true regardless of whether you apply for a Social Security card for your newborn baby before you leave the hospital or at a later date in a hospital.
How to Get a Social Security Card for a Baby at the Hospital
You can apply for a Social Security Number for a newborn after you give birth at a hospital. Usually, this option is presented to you when you provide workers with information for your childs birth certificate. If you choose this option, you need to provide SSNs for you and the childs other parent. This is one of the most convenient ways to apply for a Social Security card for a newborn baby.
Can I apply for my baby Social Security card online?
Also Check: How Often To Bathe Your Newborn
Your Baby’s Birth Certificate
After your baby is born, the hospital staff will gather information to complete the birth certificate and send it to the state health department.
The procedures for getting a copy of your baby’s birth certificate depend on the county in which your baby is born. Ask your birth center staff how you can get a copy of your baby’s birth certificate. .
On the birth certificate questionnaire is a question asking if you want to apply for a Social Security number for your baby. Although your baby doesn’t legally need a Social Security number for one year, now is the easiest time to apply for one.
Any child older than one year old who is listed as a dependent on a tax return is required to have a Social Security number. You will also need your baby’s Social Security number to open a bank account, buy savings bonds, or apply for government services for your baby.
How To Apply For A Social Security Number
The easiest way to apply for a Social Security number for your child is to complete a birth registration form, which has a box you can check to request a number for your child. To complete the form, you will need to provide both parents Social Security numbers.
For most new parents, its easy to obtain the birth registration form, because hospitals usually distribute them while the mother is still a patient.
But if you didnt deliver your baby in the hospital or if for some other reason you were never given a birth registration form to complete, you can visit your local Social Security Administration office and request a number in person. This process requires you to do three things:
- Complete Form SS-5 and provide both parents Social Security numbers on the form. To save time, download and complete Form SS-5 from the SSA website before you go.
- Provide at least two documents proving your babys age, identity, and citizenship status. One document should ideally be your childs birth certificate. The other document can be your childs hospital birth record or other medical record.
- Provide proof of your own identity. Your drivers license and passport are both acceptable.
Dont Miss: What Do You Really Need For A Newborn
Also Check: What Is Necrotizing Enterocolitis In Newborns
How Long Does It Take For A Newborn To Get Full
During the first few months, feeding times gradually get shorter and the time between feedings gets a little longer. By the time a baby is 3 to 4 months old, they are breastfeeding, gaining weight, and growing well. It may only take your baby about 5 to 10 minutes to empty the breast and get all the milk they need.
Recommended Reading: How To Cure Diaper Rash In Newborns
Your Childs Social Security Number
Social Security numbers are free and required when filing a tax return.
- Check the box at the bottom of the Birth Certificate Information Worksheet to receive a Social Security number for your newborn from the Social Security Administration. It will take about four to six weeks to receive your babys Social Security number.
- If you need more information about obtaining a Social Security number for your child, call the Social Security office at 800 772 1213.
Also Check: Why Is My Newborn So Gassy At Night
How Long Does It Take To Get My Baby’s Social Security Card That I Applied For In The Hospital
Each state or jurisdiction has different processing times. See the chart below to find out how long your state takes to process the card application. If you waited the indicated length of time and still have not received your child’s Social Security card, visit your local Social Security office. You also can call us at 1-800-772-1213 , 8:00 a.m. 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you live outside the United States, refer to Service Around the World.Keep your child’s Social Security card in a safe place with other important documents. Do not carry it with you.The chart below shows the time it takes for each state to send the application and paperwork to Social Security. Allow an additional two weeks for us to send the card in the mail.Social Security Card Application at Birth: Average Processing Times by State in Weeks Quarter Ending June 2022
If You Are Adopting A Child
If the child you are adopting is a United States citizen, your child may have a Social Security number already. But if you are adopting domestically and your child does not have one, you can obtain an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number to claim child-related tax breaks while your childs adoption is pending. To apply for one, complete IRS Form W-7A, Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions. The ATIN will be valid for only two years, at which point you can extend it if your childs adoption is still not final. Once the adoption is final, you must stop using the ATIN and get a Social Security number for your child following the process described above.
If you are adopting a child from another country, you will have to wait until the adoption is final and your child has entered the United States before you can obtain a Social Security number for your child. Once that happens, you can use the process described above.
Don’t Miss: How Often To Feed Newborn Baby Formula
How To Get Ssn For An Adopted Child
If the child being adopted is already a citizen of the United States, then there is a chance they already have a Social Security Number and Card. However, if you are adopting a child domestically and if he/she does not have one, you would need to obtain an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number to claim the related benefits while the process of adoption is pending. You would need to complete an IRS Form W-7A for adoptions that are pending in the United States. The ATIN is valid for two years and can be extended if the adoption is not through yet. Once the adoption is through, you can get a Social Security Number for your child by following the above procedure. You would need to complete the form and submit it to your local Social Security Administrative Office.
If you are adopting a child from a different country, then you will have to wait until the adoption is final and the child has entered into the United States to obtain a Social Security Number. You can then complete the form and submit it with the required documents to your local Social Security Administrative office. You can only make an application once all the formalities have been completed and the child has entered the United States of America.
Were There To Help If Disability Strikes
As a working parent, your earnings can become a source of Social Security protection for your family. If you retire or become disabled and unable to work, your earnings would be partially replaced by your monthly Social Security benefit payments.
A child who is disabled may depend on your help for a lifetime. When you start receiving Social Security retirement or disability benefits, your family members also may be eligible for payments. If you are a parent, caregiver, or representative of a child younger than age 18 who has a disability, your child may be eligible for Supplemental Security Income payments. More information is provided in the booklet.
For children 18 years or older who have been disabled before the age of 22 and continue to be disabled, Social Security benefits may be paid to them if you retire, become disabled, or die. Social Security benefits for disabled children may continue as long as they are unable to work because of their disability.
Additionally, you can find information on the specific benefits and qualifications in the publication.
Read Also: How Much Can A Newborn Eat
Also Check: How To Care For Newborn Belly Button
Your Childs Birth Certificate
You will be provided a birth parents worksheet to complete in the hospital after you have your baby. The information from this worksheet will be used by the state of Ohio to create your babys birth certificate. See instructions for each hospital below: Bethesda North and Good Samaritan hospitals
McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital | TriHealth To receive a certified copy of your childs birth certificate, mail a money order made out to Butler County Health Department, including a self-addressed stamped envelope along with the completed application, to:
- Butler County Health Department 301 South Third Street Hamilton, OH 45011 513 887 5230
Also Check: When To Give Newborn Pacifier
Social Security Numbers For Children
When you have a baby, the city you were born in, There is no law requiring you to give Social Security Numbers to your children.When you apply for a Social Security number , For additional information regarding Social Security cards, citizen, That is not something that you can do online, not even for several weeks or months after the baby is born
Also Check: How Much Can A Newborn Eat
Recommended Reading: How Much Should A Newborn Weigh
How To Get Your Child A Social Security Number
The easiest way to get your child assigned a Social Security number is to apply shortly after the birth while youre still at the hospital. It doesnt cost anything and most medical providers have the necessary paperwork. During your stay, youll be asked to provide information for your babys birth certificate. At that point, youll also be asked whether you want to apply for a Social Security number for your baby. If you say yes, you need to provide each parents Social Security number.
Can I Let People Around My Newborn
New mamas have varying opinions on whether or not to invite loved ones to visit them at the hospital following the birth of their baby. Some prefer to rest, recover and wait until they return home to accept visitors, while others enjoy a visit with close family and friends at the hospital right after baby arrives.
Don’t Miss: How Many Clothes For Newborn
How To Know If Someone Is Using Your Childs Personal Information
In addition to taking steps to safeguard your childs personal information, keep an eye out for warning signs that someone is using your childs personal information. Here are a few:
- Youre denied government benefits because someone is already using your childs Social Security number to get those benefits.
- Someone calls you and says your child has an overdue bill, but its not an account you opened for the child.
- You get a letter from the IRS that says your child didnt pay income taxes. This could happen if someone used your childs Social Security number on tax forms for a new job.
- Youre denied a student loan because your child has bad credit. This could happen if someone used your childs Social Security number to get a credit card, open a cell phone account, or set up a utility service and has not paid the bills on time or at all.
Signs of Child Identity Theft
- Turned down for government benefits
- Letter from the IRS about taxes your child owes
- Childs student loan application is denied
Your Babys Birth Certificate And Social Security Number
After your baby is born, the hospital staff will gather information to complete the birth certificate and send it to the state health department.
The procedures for getting a copy of your babyâs birth certificate depend on the county in which your baby is born. Ask your birth center staff how you can get a copy of your babyâs birth certificate. .
On the birth certificate questionnaire is a question asking if you want to apply for a Social Security number for your baby. Although your baby doesnât legally need a Social Security number for one year, now is the easiest time to apply for one.
Any child older than one year old who is listed as a dependent on a tax return is required to have a Social Security number. You will also need your babyâs Social Security number to open a bank account, buy savings bonds, or apply for government services for your baby.
Donât Miss: How Long Should A Newborn Nap For
Don’t Miss: What Tests Are Done On Newborns After Birth