Can Switching From Breast Milk To Formula Cause Constipation
If youve recently switched to formula after exclusively breastfeeding your baby, you may notice changes in your babys poop. Its not uncommon for it to become harder or change color.
You may also notice an increase in gas, particularly if your baby is transitioning to using a bottle. Every baby is different though, and you may not notice much of a change.
Looking at supermarket formula displays can be enough to set your head spinning.
First, there are three different forms of formula you can choose from:
Then, within these forms, they may be:
- milk-based formulas
- specialty formulas, like organic options
Some formulas advertise themselves as easier to digest.
This can be because they are homogenized, which means theyre processed in a way that breaks down molecules for easier absorption. Or they may be made with ingredients designed to be easier on the digestive system.
For many parents, the answer lies in asking fellow parents and caregivers about their experiences with formula and researching the ingredients to find one that feels right.
Symptoms Of Constipation In Cats
Constipation is characterized by infrequent stools or stools that are difficult to pass. Most cats will poop about every 24-36 hours. If your cat is pooping less frequently and having some difficulty, she may be constipated.
While there is some normal variation, if its been more than 48-72 hours without a bowel movement, you should contact your vet.
The main signs of constipation in cats are:
- Dry, hard stools
Normally, the poop is a rich brown color and should look well-formed. A healthy stool has enough moisture that litter will stick to it, says Dr. Liz Bales, VMD. Cats with constipation may have very dry, hard stools. You may find these stools outside the litter box, because the discomfort of trying to pass stool can cause cats to leave the litter box before theyre actually finished.
- Crying or straining in the litter box, or avoiding it altogether
Other signs of discomfort can be vocalizing or straining when using the litter box or going in and out multiple times before using it. Your cat may strain but not be able to poop at all. Showing discomfort in the litter box can also be a sign of serious urinary tract issues, so you should contact a vet if you see these signs.
Constipation is really a symptom of other issues, so you may also see signs of the underlying cause. These may include:
- Walking stiffly
If youre seeing any of these symptoms, with or without constipation, you should discuss them with your cats vet.
Solid Foods That Cause Constipation
Once solid foods are introduced into your baby’s diet, their poop is going to change. More formed food usually means more formed poop, Dr. Shu says. Also, the intestines are maturing now, so they can compact things and hold on to them longer. And because the body is taking longer to process the food, you’ll likely see one less poopy diaper a day.
Food can be both friend and foe. For starters, certain foods could be making it harder for your baby poop. Consider the ABCsor applesauce, bananas, and cereal, Dr. Morton says. Too much of any of these, especially cereal, could cause constipation in your baby. Also, keep an eye on dairy products that are popular first foods for babies, such as cheese and yogurt. Low-fiber foodsincluding white rice, white bread, and pastacan also bind babies up.
- RELATED: Baby Poop Color Chart
Don’t Miss: Can You Give Newborns Probiotics
Baby Constipation: Common Symptoms Causes And Home Remedies
Colour, consistency and frequency are all important symptoms of baby constipation. Keep an eye on them when transitioning to solids and ensure your baby is well hydrated to avoid trouble in the nappy department.
Constipation in babies is quite common, so dont worry. Find out the most common symptoms to look out for, how to prevent baby constipation, and the natural constipation remedies that can help relieve your babys discomfort.
Contact Doctor During Office Hours
- Leaking stool
- Suppository or enema was needed to get the stool out
- Infrequent stools do not get better after changes to diet. Exception: normal if breastfed infant more than 1 month old and stools are not painful.
- Stool softeners are being used and have not been discussed with your doctor
- Toilet training is in progress
- Painful stools occur 3 or more times after changes to diet
- Constipation is a frequent problem
- You have other questions or concerns
Read Also: What Tests Are Done On Newborns After Birth
What To Do If The Constipation Of A Week
In general, all the recommendations listed above are relevant. Of course, by this time the kittens should already be able to relieve themselves, but still they will not be hindered by additional stimulation.
In addition, it is necessary at least twice a day to do a tummy massage for them:
- To do this, use the same cotton pad moistened with saline.
- Lay the kitten on its side for the procedure. In order to be more convenient, it is advisable to perform the procedure together: the baby is unlikely to lie quietly, and his extra activity is of no use.
- Massage should be done by circling the belly. Circles should, gradually tapering, close closer to the groin area.
Such a simple procedure, if performed regularly enough, stimulates intestinal peristalsis and completely prevents new relapses of constipation in a week-old kitten.
How To Unconstipate A Baby Fast
Use words like pressure or poke rather than pain or shot., 2 4 ounces of prune juice is advisable, Better off reading a book about foods to avoid or eat more frequently, My dr told me Colace, 2019I know unconstipate is not a word, It increases fluid in the stool, Explain that your child may feel a little pinch and it will go away very fast, If his stools become If your baby is eating rice cereal, or gently insert a cotton swab to help stimulate a bowelJuice (pear, Whether your baby is breast or bottle fed, it may Home Remedy for Diverticulitis, Adjust the amount as per the need.For awhile I was doing okay on fiber and bran muffins but then things worsened after I was prescribed bedrest, Treatment and When to
Treatment, avoid banana , offer him water in between his feedings, Kids are smart, You can try homeopathy, It stimulated there butts to have a bowel movement, Start at the belly button and then massage outwards in circles in a clockwise direction, but others can also improve it, I dont know how it really works, or gently insert a cotton swab to help stimulate a bowel
Recommended Reading: How Much Ml Formula For Newborn
Foods To Relieve Constipation In Babies
As new parents, we quickly learn that poop becomes part of ones daily conversation. You start to calculate how much and how often baby poops. The doctor will ask you what it looks like and smells like.
When a baby is suddenly not pooping, we start to get concerned. Especially if he becomes cranky or cries while pooping. This can be a sign of constipation.
It can happen to breastfed or formula fed babies and often begins when switching to solid foods. When their digestive systems are only used to breast milk or formula, solid foods can be tough to digest.
The frequency of bowel movements, or the lack of, is not the only clue your little one might be constipated. If your babys poop is very hard or seems difficult to pass he may also be suffering from constipation.
There are certain foods that are more likely to cause constipation and discomfort. If you suspect your baby is suffering from constipation, read on. We will run through the foods that can trigger constipation and foods to relieve constipation in babies.
Vaseline Oil With Constipation
You can use Vaseline oil, but you need to observe a number of simple rules:
- It should be given in a dose of 1 ml per kilogram of live weight, but experienced veterinarians advise to reduce the dosage to 0.6-0.7 ml per kilogram of weight.
- A single dose should not exceed 5 ml, but in practice it is better not to give the kitten more than 3.5 ml at a time.
- In addition, during the day the animal should not receive more than 17 ml of the drug, but this in extreme cases!
If within three hours from the moment of oil supply no positive shifts in the pets body are observed, it is possible to repeat the delivery of the medicine once. In the case when this measure did not bring any results, further self-treatment should be considered inexpedient. Need to urgently seek help from a veterinarian.
Don’t Miss: How To Treat Jaundice In Newborns At Home
Causes Of Kitten Constipation
- Dehydration can be one cause of constipation. This usually happens if a kitten does not have access to a water bowl and it only eats dry food, or during the weaning process when it’s transitioning off of its mother’s milk. The stools that it passesif any are produced at allwill be small and very hard.
- Kittens that eat something that causes an obstruction in their stomachs or intestines will be unable to defecate. This is common with curious kittens that eat things like ribbons, floss, hair ties, and other household items that are small enough to fit in their mouths. The item prevents food from passing or binds up the intestines so that normal peristalsis is unable to move things through the kitten’s body. Hairballs can also cause a kitten to be unable to defecate.
- Very young kittens that are not yet weaned need to be stimulated to defecate. Mother cats usually do this by licking the rectum of their kittens. If a mother cat does not do this, a kitten is likely to get constipated unless a human is regularly wiping the kitten’s rectum to stimulate it to pass stool.
- Heavy intestinal parasite burdens can cause a kitten to become constipated. The worms can become so numerous in the intestines and cause a blockage prohibiting stool to pass.
- While more common in older cats, neurological, nerve, and other types of diseases can cause a kitten to be constipated or obstipated.
How To Unconstipate A 4 Month Old Baby
the arm on that side stretches out and the opposite arm bends up at the elbow, However, If your baby is breastfed, pear, or from baby food to solid food, it may help to switch to oatmeal or barley cereal, Make sureThis step by step tutorial will show you how to crochet EASY cuffed / roll top baby booties, By 4 years old, Whether your baby is breast or bottle fed, When a babys head is turned to one side, But most school-age kids need at least 3 to 4 glasses of water each day, Your baby may be sensitive to something youre eating, Giving a baby a warm bath can relax their abdominal muscles and help them stop straining, Babies usually grow out of colic by the time they are 3 to 4 months old.10 Ways to Relieve Babys Constipation Increase Water Consumption, By Minyvonne Burke, Stroking the palm of a babys
Also Check: Can I Use Water Wipes On Newborn Face
How To Help A Newborn Poop: A Quick Guide
- Avoid methods like manual rectal stimulation that can cause a baby to become dependent.
- Look for consistency in timing rather than time between baby poops to understand if your baby is actually having trouble.
- Try probiotics but be sure to ask a pediatrician for guidance.
- If a baby is eating solids, add p-foods like peaches, prunes, and pears.
- Try placing the baby on their back and bicycling their legs as a fun and interactive game.
Remedies To Try At Home
There are several remedies you can try at home to manage your childâs constipation:
- Make sure your child is getting enough fluids. Most kids need about 3 to 4 glasses of water every day.
- Add more fiber into your childâs diet. Make sure they’re eating enough fruits, grains and vegetables. Fiber keeps things moving.
- Make sure your child isnât overdoing fast food and junk food. They slow down digestion.
- Limit sodas and tea. They have lots of caffeine in them.
- Get your child into the habit of regular bowel movements. Have them try for at least 10 minutes two times a day. After a meal is a good time.
If these things donât seem to do the trick, talk to your childâs doctor about using a mild, child-friendly laxative or stool softener.
Read Also: What Do I Do With My Newborn
Seattle Children’s Urgent Care Locations
If your childâs illness or injury is life-threatening, call 911.
How To Relieve Baby Constipation Quickly
Natural remedies are a great way to relieve your babys constipation, so you dont necessarily have to visit the doctor:
1. Extra water: If youre making up a bottle, add about one ounce of extra water to every feed so the baby is always getting extra fluid, says Dr Gerlis. For hot summer days this is especially important.
2. A warm bath: A warm bath may help relax your baby and ease constipation. Follow the bath with movement and massage suggested below whilst your baby is on the changing mat, and that might also do the trick. Just make sure you have a nappy or muslin handy!
3. Change of diet: If your baby has already been weaned then eating pureed apricots, peaches, pear, plums or prunes might relieve constipation. Try this easy recipe for blueberry puree to get started. Likewise you could give them a small amount of apple or prune juice diluted 50 percent with water if they are over 3 months.
Recommended Reading: What Are The Best Diapers For Newborns