Dr Browns Wide Neck Glass Baby Bottles
Made from glass, these bottles have an internal vent system that creates vacuum feeding, so babies arent sucking in tiny bubbles. The clever design not only aids digestion but also helps preserve vitamins in the milk too. As babys feeding develops, simply remove the vent and continue to use the bottle without.
What Mom Wants In A Bottle
In some ways, its easier to go shopping for your new home than it is to pick out a baby bottle! At least with home shopping, you know what you want. Youve lived in a house your whole life so you have a good idea about what your basic needs are.
But with bottle shopping, things are different. This is a completely foreign task if youre a new parent, and you likely dont have time or money to waste on trial and error.
Start by narrowing down your search to some appropriate bottles that meet the standards your breastfed baby would tell you about if they could, then take a look at the next set of criteria we think is important.
Best Baby Bottle Starter Kit: Hegen Pcto Feeding Bottle
Weve just had our second child and, this time, weve gone for the Hegen bottles. Theyre fab! They work as bottles, storage pots, food pots for weaning and water bottles for older children. Well worth the money. Mumsnet user
Its at the expensive end of the bottle market, but this high-quality, long-lasting model feels genuinely innovative and its better value when you buy more than one.
Four-year-old baby brand Hegen has already made a splash in the baby equipment market since their 2015 launch. Their flagship bottle, the Hegen PCTO is more expensive than those from more established brands, but heres the thing its also really good.
Made from extra-tough PPSU plastics , the bottle is an unusual soft square shape. Its supposed to be easier for a baby to grip, but it also stacks neatly, one within another, when its empty and takes up less room than round containers when its full and stacked with others.
As the name implies, the collar presses on with a click and is removed by twisting, which in practice is quicker and easier than the more common baby bottle twisting mechanism. The teat has to align in a particular way with the collar, which caught our tester out a few times initially, but otherwise assembly and storage couldnt be easier.
You May Like: How To Give A Newborn Their First Bath
Also Check: How To Feed Formula To Newborn
How To Transition To A Bottle
It is common practice for a mom to start off breastfeeding and then slowly transition to a bottle as their child grows. This process can be tricky!
Here are five tips to help you make the transition:
- Use breast milk inside the bottle. If youre transitioning to formula starting off with your milk in the bottle helps the baby use the bottle because its milk they are used to.
- Find a bottle with a slow-flow nipple. These are designed to imitate the suckling effect during breastfeeding and prevent nipple confusion.
- Find a bottle with a wider base. It will feel more like your breast and be easier to latch on to.
- Choose a bottle made of soft silicone or one that has a silicone cover. Your baby is used to your soft skin and silicone can help replicate that experience.
- Choose relaxed feedings to try a bottle. If your baby is super fussy and upset, they may be more likely to reject a bottle. Choose a time when theyre more relaxed and happy.
If your baby constantly rejects bottles, try looking at both the bottle itself and whats inside it. You may have to try a few different bottles to find one your baby likes.
Something to consider for your registry is a baby bottle sample pack.
Also Great: The Best Bottle Brush
*At the time of publishing, the price was $8.
You can wash all the picks in this guide in the dishwasher, but unless you have a big supply of bottles, youll likely wash yours by hand some of the time. After scrubbing bottles with four popular brushes with different designs, we recommend the OXO Tot Bottle Brush with Stand as the best for cleaning containers, nipples, and other bottle pieces. The OXOs brush head is fuller than that of the other brushes we tried, and in our tests it made more suds and scrubbed bottles more thoroughly than the competition. Though the bristles are generous, theyre still soft enough to squish into narrow-neck bottles. At 12 inches long, the OXO brush is a more practical length than other brushes we tried, including the shorter Dr. Browns Natural Flow Bottle Brush or the IKEA Medelvåg, which is impractically long at 17 inches. The Boon Forb, with silicone petals instead of bristles , is cute but more difficult than the OXO to use: In our tests, the petals didnt reach all the inner surfaces of the bottles and were hard to fit inside narrow containers.
The OXO has the most substantial handle of any of the brushes we tested, which allows for a more comfortable and secure grip even when youre wearing dishwashing gloves. The OXO is also the only brush we tried that has a separate mini-brush for cleaning nipples and other small pieces .
Recommended Reading: How To Help Newborn Sleep In Bassinet
Tips For How To Use Your Baby Bottle
You can help things go smoothly by following a few bottle-feeding tips:
- When first introducing the bottle to a breastfed baby , it may help to have a different person such as your partner try giving the bottle. Baby is more likely to reject the bottle if they have the option of the breast.
- Try offering the bottle an hour or two after baby nurses .
- If you give your bottle a good ol college try and your sweet pea just wont have it, you may want to try another option. Babies, for reasons best known to them, can be very picky.
- Cuddle your baby close, and coo and talk to them. This helps with bonding and development of communication skills. It also reduces stress for both of you!
- Keep your baby slightly propped up in the crook of your arm, so they arent trying to drink lying flat.
- Never microwave a bottle of breast milk or formula. This can damage breast milk and cause hot spots that can burn your baby. To warm the bottle, use a bottle warmer or sit the bottle in a mug of hot or warm water for a few minutes. Always check the temperature of the milk by dripping a bit on your wrist before offering it to your baby.
- Make sure youre using the right nipple size too small and your baby will have to work hard and may become frustrated too large may have your baby gagging and choking.
- Keep the bottle angled to help with less air swallowing, and burp your baby once or twice during the feeding session.
Tips To Buy The Best Liquid Soaps For Baby Bottle
This buying guide offers you some great advice on how to save money when shopping for liquid soaps for baby bottle. We must find ways to make ends meet because the cost of living is rising, as we are all aware. You can save money by following some factors when buying liquid soaps for baby bottle.
- Checking for coupons or discounts is the first thing we advise doing before buying any product.
- Next, benefit from in-store promotions like buy one, get one free, or an additional discount if you spend a certain amount, which can add up quickly!
- Finally, avoid using credit cards to avoid interest fees, which can add up over time and strain your finances.
The following are some things to consider before purchasing liquid soaps for baby bottle:
Read Also: How Much Do Newborn Photo Shoots Cost
Giving Baby The Bottle
Make yourself comfortable and cuddle your baby close to you, holding baby gently but firmly. Its better for your baby to be on a slight incline so any air bubbles rise to the top, making burping easier.
Put the teat against your babys lips. Your baby will open their mouth and start to suck. Keep the neck of the bottle at an angle so its filled with formula or breastmilk.
When your baby stops sucking strongly or when about half of the formula or breastmilk has gone, gently remove the bottle and see whether baby wants to burp. Once youve tried burping your baby, you can offer the bottle again.
Paced bottle-feedingBabies who are normally breastfed might find it hard to pace themselves when bottle-feeding, particularly if theyre premature. This is because theyre used to controlling the flow of breastmilk. Sometimes these babies can drink too much too quickly.
Paced feeding can sometimes help. This involves holding your baby in an upright position and letting them rest every few minutes. If youre interested in paced bottle-feeding, its best to get help from your child and family health nurse or a lactation consultant.
Holding, cuddling and talking to your baby during feeding will help baby develop and grow. Its also a great opportunity to bond with your baby.
Philips Avent Natural Baby Bottles
About $7 per bottle and available in 4 ounce or 9 ounce sizes. Philips AVENT bottles have been around for several years, but they are an innovative company that continually improves their bottles to accommodate the changing needs of moms and emerging research and development. The Natural series of AVENT bottles is no exception and is one of the best all-around baby bottles of the year, available in both plastic and glass versions. The base and nipple are quite similar in form and function to the Tommee Tippee, but with a slightly narrower nipple base, and narrower overall bottle as well. We found that the nipples were soft and compliant, promoted comfortable and fast latch-on, and the twin-valve venting system was quite good at preventing air swallowing, gas, and colic. The twin valves are unique to the others on this list, with tiny slits at the very far edges of the nipple that help air get into the bottle to prevent a vacuum forming. The reasonably wide nipple base promotes a relatively real breast feel, and the wide neck promotes easier cleaning, though not quite as easy as with the Comotomo Natural Feel Baby Bottle. Definitely invest in a bottle brush!
Also Check: How To Build A Newborn’s Immune System
Newborn Puppy Temperature Control
Newborn puppies cannot control their body temperature. This means that owners need to make sure that puppies are kept in a warm, draft-free environment, as exposure to cold stresses the puppies and exposes them to disease. The Merck Veterinary Manual recommends using a heat lamp to keep the new litter warm, as long as you provide a slightly cooler location within the whelping pen to prevent the puppies from overheating, and position the lamp far enough overhead that it does not burn the puppies or the mother. Or, consider placing the heat lamp at the corner of the whelping box so that the puppies can crawl to another corner if overly warm. They recommend heat lamps over heating pads, as heating pads are more likely to burn puppies.
Consider Your Baby Feeding Plan
Think about whether you plan to breastfeed or formula feed and choose baby bottles accordingly . Personally, Id planned on exclusively breastfeeding my daughter for the first year of her life, but ran into supply issues about four months in. We started supplementing with formula so we were using both breastmilk and formula for several months and ultimately, I stopped breastfeeding altogether at around the nine-month mark and we moved to 100% formula until she turned one. Even if you plan to exclusively breastfeed, know that pumping and bottle feeding at least periodically can make for a great bonding experience between your baby and family members as well as a way for Mama to get some freedom from time to time both so valuable.
Read Also: What To Give A Newborn That Is Constipated
Finding The Perfect Nipple Size
Just as important as the bottle you choose is the nipple size. The nipple size controls the flow of milk out of the bottle. Younger babies generally need slower-flowing nipples while older babies and toddlers need faster-flowing nipples.
There are as many different nipple sizes and types as there are bottles. However, most will fit into three categories: slow, medium, and fast . They may also be labeled with numbers, such as stage 0 , stage 1 , stage 2 , and stage 3 .
Each nipple you purchase, whether it comes with a bottle or not, should have an age range and flow speed listed. Your baby doesnt need to match this exactly, but these are usually helpful guidelines to consider. Slower is typically better for breastfed babies.
Related Reading: Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Review: Are the Closer to Nature Bottles the Best?
Pros Of Plastic Bottle
- Easy to measure
- Readily available
Since the glass baby bottle has largely become outdated, plastic baby bottles became the preferred method of feeding infants. Plastic bottles are an excellent choice because they are virtually indestructible, making them a safer product to use around your delicate newborn.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Average Weight Of A Newborn Baby
It Should Be Easy To Assemble And Fill
You should be able to easily put the pieces of the bottle together, which usually means popping in a nipple and screwing on the top. The bottle should also have a mouth thats wide enough to pour milk into without dumping it onto the counter. Or, if youre using powdered formula, the bottle should allow for easy stirring.
Dr Brown’s Natural Flow Options+ Gets A Lactation Consultant’s Seal Of Approval
We independently research, test, review, and recommend the bestproductslearn more about our process. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Verywell Family / Jessica Juliao
Making the transition from breast to bottle and back again can be tricky for some babies, but the products you buy to do so can make a huge difference. For most, purchasing a few single bottles and nipples makes the most sense until you find the ones that work best for you and your baby’s needs.
Don’t Miss: Can A Newborn Over Eat
Dr Browns Glass Bottles
The standout feature of these bottles is a revolutionary anti-colic vent system, and theyve been redesigned with a more natural nipple for ease of latching and transferring from the breast to the bottle.
Dr. Browns nipples unique contoured form facilitates a more effective latch, and the flow rate is excellent for simulating natural breastfeeding flow.
With many newborns suffering from gas and colic, Dr. Browns bottle has developed a following thanks to the efficiency of its innovative anti-colic venting mechanism, which may be utilized or removed as needed.
The glass version of these bottles is a safe and BPA-free alternative to the popular plastic version, and the glass bottles form is curved and comfortable to grasp. They are suitable for infants from birth to one year of age.
Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature Newborn Baby Bottle Starter Set
- Baby bottles with breast-like nipples and essential accessories, ideal for newborn babies and up
- Acceptance Guaranteed*: Breast-like shaped nipple for an easy and natural latch 97% mom recommended**
- Natural Feel: Super-sensitive bottle nipple flexes like mom, smooth silicone feels closer to skin
- Anti-Colic: Optimum venting anti-colic nipple valve for less air intake and less discomfort for baby
- Easy Transition: Feeding bottle is ideal for breastfed babies
- Baby-Safe: Always BPA-free and phthalate-free for ultimate reassurance
Read Also: Do Newborns Need Dental Insurance
Tips For Buying Bottles
When you finally get a handle on what type of bottle you want, you need to go through one more checklist to make sure youre not sabotaging your own success by forgetting something crucial.
To make sure you arent making a big mistake, here are some tips you should follow when buying that first bottle for baby.
- Dont buy in bulk: If you run out and buy 20 bottles only to find your baby hates them, youre going to be sorry. Instead, find three potential candidates, buy one or two of each and see which works best for your baby before making a bigger investment.
- Consider getting the largest size: Those cute little 4-ounce bottles are perfectly sized for a newborn. But that newborn is going to grow quickly, and before long theyll be guzzling 6 ounces of milk, not 4 . Buy the biggest sized bottle when youve found a brand you like you can always buy a pack of slow-flow nipples to go with them until your baby is ready for faster-flow nipples.
- Consider your breast pump brand: Compatibility is a great thing. If you buy bottles that are compatible with your breast pump, youll be able to pump directly into the bottles, which will save you some extra dishwashing. What new mom doesnt like saving her time and energy?
- If this is your second baby, get new bottles: I know no one likes to spend extra money, but if you have a bunch of older bottles that you used years ago with your first baby, they may no longer be appropriate, especially if they contain dangerous BPA.
The Best Baby Bottles
After updating our guide to baby formula, we double checked this guide to make sure everything was up-to-date. We stand by our picks.
Theres no single best baby bottle, and finding the right one for your baby can take trial and error and a lot of patience. After 30 hours of research, including interviewing bottle-feeding specialists and pediatricians and testing 17 bottles, weve concluded that the Lansinoh mOmma Bottle is the bottle wed try first.
Don’t Miss: When To Put A Newborn To Bed