What Can You Give A 4 Month Old For Constipation
Add a little dark fruit juice, like prune or pear, to your babys bottle. Or just give her some extra water if shes older than 4 months no more than 1-2 ounces per day. But check with the doctor first. Remember that most babies who dont poop a lot are not truly “constipated” and dont need anything different from normal.
Can Few Poops Still Be Normal
Because breast milk is so nutritious, sometimes a babyâs body absorbs almost all of it, leaving little to move through the digestive tract. Your baby may poop only once in a while — itâs perfectly normal for breastfed infants to have a bowel movement once a week.
Some infants just have a slower gut, so they don’t go very often. Hard stools are common from time to time. But if your baby seems to be in pain or you have any concerns, call your doctor.
In rare cases, a medical problem causes lasting, serious constipation. For example, the muscles in the intestine arenât working the way they should or thereâs a blockage in the digestive tract.
Diet For Constipated Babies
The risk of constipation can be reduced to considerable amount by giving a proper diet to your child. Fluids , bran cereals and fiber rich foods , ease the symptoms associated to constipation.
The diet differs according to the age of the kid.
- Less than 2 months As the baby is too young, any food prepared outside cant be given. Its better to call up the doctor, instead of dealing with the situation at your own.
- 2 months and older Include nearly 3 ounces of water, on a regular basis, in his/her diet. You can also give 2 ounces of diluted apple juice or grape juice.
- 4 months and older Children of this age can have solid foods. So, you can include high fiber constituents such as peaches, beans, peas, and spinach in their diet.
- 5-10 months old Feed pureed foods to your kid. Ensure that there are no lumps in the food.
- 1 year old infant Give mashed food, if your tot belongs to this age group. There is no problem, if there are some lumps in the food.
Note- Do not give additional sugars and diluted juice simultaneously. Opt for only one cure.
Recommended Reading: What The Best Diaper Brand For Newborns
Why Do Babies Get Constipated
To understand the reasons of constipation in babies, you have to understand that disturbed bowel movements depend upon many factors like
- Type of milk you are feeding to your baby
- The introduction of solid foods.
- Is any specific food you have introduced to your baby recently.
- Low water level: If your baby is suffering from cold, cough, throat infection, teething like problems then the water level in the body reduces drastically which can cause constipation.
- If your baby is under medication then intake of few medicines can cause constipation.
What Causes Constipation In Babies
Constipation in babies is primarily caused by diet. Here are some things you might want to discuss with your pediatrician:
- Baby Formula: The intestines of some babies just seem sensitive to a particular brand of formula .
- Dairy or Soy Allergy: Babies that have a milk allergy can experience constipation, excessive gas and other discomforts. A doctor can determine if your baby has a dairy or soy allergy.
- Change in Diet: Sometimes when babies are given the green light for baby food they can struggle with regularity. Many first-time foods are very starchy and if he isnt getting enough water this can lead to poop troubles. Check with your pediatrician on the best first foods to help avoid constipation and how much water he needs in a day.
- Iron Supplement: Vitamins with iron can make poops into hard little black-green colored pellets.
- Dehydration: If a baby is not getting enough to drink, stools can get drier and harder. Its super easy to check for this problem: The inside of the mouth will get dry and sticky your baby will pee fewer than six times a day the urine will become much more yellow and a bit smelly.
Recommended Reading: What Are Some Reasons Why Newborn Babies Fail To Thrive
Dangers Of Infant Constipation
Parents should always remember warning signs related to constipation for which they should seek immediate medical treatment for their infant, including: abdominal distension and/or tenderness, rectal bleeding, and vomiting bile or blood.
If constipation issues are severe or start early in the neonatal period it could be a sign of a more serious problem, like Hirschsprung disease, anatomic anomalies, hypothyroidism, and cystic fibrosis, Hahn said. Your pediatrician is your best resource to help decide if your baby needs any tests or imaging studies to evaluate the constipation.
Should You See A Doctor About Constipation In Children
You should take your child to the GP if your child:
- needs a laxative more than a few times a year
- has constipation that doesnt get better after you give them a laxative
- hasnt done a poo for seven days
- poos in their pants without meaning to
- has constipation and also fever, vomiting, blood in their poo or weight loss
- has painful cracks in the skin around their anus
- has constipation and youre worried they arent eating or drinking enough.
Also Check: When A Newborn Is Constipated
When To Worry About Baby Constipation:
When should you be concerned? The best rule is to call your babys doctor if more than three days pass without a poop. Call even sooner if your baby has a weak cry, weak suck, or is acting ill.
If constipation is persistent or your baby is acting weak or ill, the doctor may want to check for three rare diseases that can masquerade as constipation:
Have questions about a Happiest Baby product? Our consultants would be happy to help! Connect with us at .
Disclaimer: The information on our site is NOT medical advice for any specific person or condition. It is only meant as general information. If you have any medical questions and concerns about your child or yourself, please contact your health provider.
How Can You Tell If A Newborn Is Constipated
Sneed shared that parents experiencing newborn constipation may see different signs.
Parents may encounter Infant Dyschezia where their babies scream excessively and strain for ten minutes, only to produce loose stools, she said. These infants have not figured out how to simultaneously relax their pelvic floor and push stool out at the same time.
Another recognizable instance of constipation is when foods are introduced into the diet. To avoid constipation problems, Sneed recommends giving babies foods higher in fiber.
This age group should receive a recommended five grams of fiber daily, she said. The best fiber-rich foods are peas and prunes, which have two grams of fiber per serving, and whole wheat, barley or mixed grain baby cereals, which have one to two grams of fiber per serving. The worst options are rice cereal and bananas.
You May Like: Why Does My Newborn Cry All The Time
What It Comes Down To
If nothing has worked, then it is time to pay a visit to your childs pediatrician, who may be able to give you plenty more insight into your babys constipation issue. They will be able to tell you if you should give your child a certain medication, or they can prescribe something for them. Mom and dad just need to stay calm and let the doctor take care of things.
When it comes to how long a baby should go between poops, the general rule is it should be no more than three days. However, many babies are different from each other, and what is normal for one baby may not be normal for another baby. One baby may have multiple poops a day, while others may not poop for a day and then poop the next day. Its all about getting acclimated to your babys bowel movement schedule. These tips may help you to relieve your little ones constipation and help them feel better.
Diagnosis And When To See A Doctor
Diagnosing asthma in babies can be challenging. A doctor cannot use the typical lung function tests because babies cannot exhale or inhale on command.
As a result, doctors do not typically diagnose asthma in babies. If a baby has asthma-like symptoms, the doctor may diagnose reactive airway disease and confirm an asthma diagnosis when the child is older and if the symptoms persist.
To check for the issue in a baby, a doctor may:
- Give medications to open the airways and see whether the symptoms improve.
- Give allergy tests to check for sensitivities to common triggers, such as dust mites, mold, pet dander, and pollen in an older baby or toddler.
- Order imaging studies, such as X-rays, to examine the lungs.
They may also make a referral to an allergy or lung specialist for further testing and treatment.
Asthma is a chronic condition with no cure. However, many babies with asthma-like symptoms, such as wheezing, do not go on to have asthma later in life.
Recommended Reading: What All A Newborn Baby Needs
Baby Massage For Constipation
Want to know how to relieve constipation in babies quickly? One of the easiest things you can try is giving baby a massage. Blythe recommends trying a gentle tummy massage of the left side of the belly to help stimulate the colon. And you can do exercises with baby as well. Bicycling the hips and holding the knees up in a squat position helps simulate the movements needed to have a bowel movement, Blythe says. You can also try a warm bath.
How To Relieve Constipation In Babies Quickly
Constipation in babies can be an extremely frustrating experience for both parent and child. Fortunately, there are several natural remedies that have been found to work well to relieve constipation in babies quickly.
Breast milk or formula contains plenty of water that you should be giving your baby in addition to solids.
Encourage fluids and fiber intake by giving them water or juice with every meal, but make sure the drink has no added sugar.
Give them foods rich in soluble fiber like prunes, bananas, oatmeal, and barley.
Try using an infant massage cream called Baby Bum Balm that can be found on Amazon Prime! Its safe for cloth diapers and helps create healthy bowel movements because it contains cocoa butter which stimulates peristalsis .
Read Also: How To Use The Snoo With A Newborn
What Are Some Home Remedies For Baby Constipation
If your baby becomes constipated once heâs started on solid foods, check in with your healthcare provider, who may recommend any of the following changes or additions to his diet to help relieve constipation:
Water. If your baby is over 6 months old , offer him a little water in a sippy cup with his meals. This shouldnât replace breast milk or formula, however.
Fruit juice. A few ounces of 100 percent fruit juice such as apple, pear, or prune juice can also help your baby. These juices contain sorbitol, which works like a natural laxative.
Certain fruits and vegetables. Once your baby is eating solid foods, give him pureed foods such as prunes, pears, peaches, and peas. These can help with constipation since they contain more fiber than other fruits and vegetables.
Infant cereals. Try feeding him whole-wheat, barley, or multigrain infant cereal once he is eating solid foods. These three types contain more fiber than rice cereal and may help get things moving.
If the above dietary changes havenât given your baby relief, contact his healthcare provider again for guidance.
Causes Of Constipation In Children
- If a child is drinking too much milk and not getting enough solids, the lack of fibre can cause constipation.
- A tear in the skin next to the anus may be caused by doing a hard poo. This will make the child try to hold on for longer because it may hurt to go to the toilet.
- Some children ignore the urge to go to the toilet because they are too busy playing.
- Some children hold back when they are being toilet trained.
- Some children dont want to use school or preschool toilets for various reasons, such as lack of privacy or a smelly toilet.
- The child may not be getting enough exercise.
You May Like: When Can You Do A Dna Test On A Newborn
Don’t Miss: How Can A Newborn Sleep At Night
Signs Of Constipation In Babies
In addition to the symptoms mentioned above, youll probably notice a few other signs of baby constipation. Irritability and a decreased appetite, which might disappear shortly after baby passes a large stool, are often telltale clues.
Worried about all that moaning and groaning? Take a deep breath its perfectly normal and isnt a sign of constipation in babies. Grunting and straining to push out a stool is normal in young babies. Its difficult for them to pass a bowel movement while lying flat on their backs and not getting any benefit from gravity, says Trina Blythe, MD, a pediatrician at Progress West Hospital in OFallon, Missouri.
Babies bodies often need time to figure out the whole pooping process, like learning how to relax their pelvic floor to have a bowel movement. A lot of parents come in and think their child is constipated, when what theyre really dealing with is infant dyscheziaa condition in which an otherwise normal, healthy infant will have at least 10 minutes of straining, crying, irritability and maybe turning red or purple in the face while trying to have a bowel movement, Santo Domingo explains. These symptoms continue until baby finally goesbut the resulting stool is actually soft.
How To Relieve Baby Constipation Quickly
Natural remedies are a great way to relieve your babys constipation, so you dont necessarily have to visit the doctor:
1. Extra water: If youre making up a bottle, add about one ounce of extra water to every feed so the baby is always getting extra fluid, says Dr Gerlis. For hot summer days this is especially important.
2. A warm bath: A warm bath may help relax your baby and ease constipation. Follow the bath with movement and massage suggested below whilst your baby is on the changing mat, and that might also do the trick. Just make sure you have a nappy or muslin handy!
3. Change of diet: If your baby has already been weaned then eating pureed apricots, peaches, pear, plums or prunes might relieve constipation. Try this easy recipe for blueberry puree to get started. Likewise you could give them a small amount of apple or prune juice diluted 50 percent with water if they are over 3 months.
Dont Miss: How To Build A Newborns Immune System
You May Like: How To Calm Down A Newborn Crying Baby