Muslin Squares Flannels Burp Cloths Or Receiving Blankets
- While bibs may not be that useful until your baby is a few months older , absorbent muslins, flannels and receiving blankets, which can also be used in place of burp cloths, will be a lifesaver, especially during feeds.
- Buy about a dozen cloths to start with you can always buy more. You’ll only need a couple of receiving blankets though.
How To Bathe A Newborn Baby
Your baby may have their first official bath in the hospital. But regardless of whether or not they were bathed following delivery, plan to give your newborn baby a sponge bath shortly after you bring them home.
To do this, dip a cloth or sponge in warm water and gently wash your babys head, body, and diaper area. A sponge bath is the safest option until your babys umbilical cord falls off on its own.
After the umbilical cord falls off, you can give your baby a bath in an infant tub.
Best Personalized Baby Towels
Make bathtime extra-special with a personalized baby towel. These customized baby bath towels are Instagram-ready.
Pottery Barn Kids is the place to go for a high-quality personalized baby towel. This baby hooded towel, for example, is practical, simple and totally adorable. Have it personalized with babys name in a coordinating color. The white terry baby bath towel with the gingham edging washes beautifully and makes a fantastic baby shower gift.
Buy it: Pottery Barn Kids Gingham Baby Bath Wrap, $25, PotteryBarn.com
Our secret source for the best monogrammed items? The Knot Shop. The retailer sells this adorable personalized baby towel complete with a matching washcloth. And if youre really into animal-themed baby hooded towels, there are personalizable ones on The Knot Shops site too.
Buy it: The Knot Shop Woven Hooden Towel and Washcloth Set, $26 with personalization, TheKnotShop.com
You May Like: How Many Vaccines Do Newborns Get
Prepare Emotionally And Relationally
Bringing a new baby into the family is an exciting and wonderful change, but its still a change.
Prepare with your partner by sharing your expectations, fears, concerns, and joys. Discuss how youll support each other as your family grows. Strengthen your bond, and spend time enjoying each others company.
If this is not your first child, prepare your other kids for the arrival of their new sibling. Talk about what it will be like to have a new baby in the family, involve them in preparing the nursery, and explain who theyll be with on the day that mom goes to deliver the baby.
As for you, give yourself plenty of grace and start learning now how to take good care of yourself.
Before your baby comes is also a good time to connect with your friends, family, and support system. In addition to having fun together, you can use this time to have any necessary conversations regarding the babys arrival and who will be helping out with various tasks.
Your Ultimate Checklist Of Baby Essentials
There are a ton of to-dos when prepping for babys arrival, and shopping for all the baby essentials is not least among them. From setting up the nursery to gathering the gear for sleeping, eating and diapering, its easy to keep busy buying baby must-haves. After all, the amount of baby supplies a newborn requires can take any mom-to-be by surprise. But how do you figure out which are the baby items you can forget about, and which are the essential baby items you cant live without? Dont stress: Were breaking it all down for you. Read on for a complete list of things you need for a new baby.
In this article:
Also Check: When To Schedule Newborn Photos
Baby Items That Start With S
- Stroller: If you love to visit the nearby shopping mall with your little one frequently, you must buy a stroller. While you will be shopping around, your cute little one can sleep or relax comfortably in the stroller.
- Straw Bottle: A straw bottle is an amazing product for all the toddlers out there most pediatricians recommend using a straw bottle over sippy cups. Using a straw bottle is associated with an increase in strength of the tongue and the childs lips.
- Sterilizer: Experts are always advised to use bottle sanitizers as they can help protect your babys digestive system from harmful germs.
- Swimsuit: Swimming is an excellent way of building muscular strength in infants. Your childs coordination skills will also improve significantly with the help of regular swimming, so you should remember to buy a swimsuit for your toddler.
- Sunshade: We all know that children love to play outside. However, you need to make sure that your child is protected from the harmful rays of the sun, so sunshade should be on your list of essentials for your baby.
- Stepping Stool: If you want to teach your child how to balance their body, a stepping stool is a must for you. Your child will not only become self-reliant but also will gain confidence in performing daily life tasks.
Summer Essentials For Newborn Babies
In addition to the detailed checklist mentioned earlier, here are several items you will need for a baby born in summer.
- Baby vests: Bodysuits or vests with popper buttons and envelope necks are ideal summer-wear options. Pick light colours and fabrics to keep the baby cool when the temperatures are soaring high.
Sleepsuits: Newborn babies live in sleepsuits for the first couple of months. Carefully chosen sleepsuits in the right fabric can make the season comfortable for your little one.
Sunshade for the car or pram: This one is ideal for travel. Fix a shade on your babys pram and on your car windows to protect him from heatstroke.
Summer hat: Pick a lightweight hat with a rim to shield your babys eyes from the sun.
Muslin cloths: Most rocking chairs, prams and car seats have synthetic fabric which makes babies sweat. Lining the seats with good quality cotton or muslin sheet will keep your baby cool when he is sitting over it.
Sunblock: Sunblocks are essential to protect a newborn baby for any sun damage. Check with your babys paediatrician for the best type of sunscreen you can use on your newborn babys delicate skin.
You May Like: Why Are Newborns So Gassy
Best Backpack Baby Carrier
If you plan on wearing your baby carrier on your back , youll want the main piece of fabric to be generous and supportive along babys spine. With the Boba 4G Carrier, you can start wearing baby on your back once he hits 20 pounds. Back carrier instructions on the site can walk you through how to easily load in your child.
Suited for: 7 to 45 poundsBuy It: Boba 4G Carrier, $103,
Best Organic Baby Washcloths
For reasonably priced organic baby washcloths, look no further than Burts Bees. These soft, highly absorbent cloths are made from knit terry cotton and have both a smooth side and a looped side. The breathable cotton washcloths are durable and designed to withstand heavy use without pilling or falling apart.
Buy it: Burts Bees Baby Set of 3 Organic Washcloths, $7, BurtsBeesBaby.com
Also Check: What Do You Need For A Newborn
Baby Essentials: The Nursery
Designing your little ones nursery can be one of the most enjoyable parts of expecting a baby! Take your pick from plenty of colors and themes to create an attractive and safe space for your baby, where they will play, grow, and sleep the night away.
Rocking Chair Or Glider
After you bring your baby home from the hospital, there will be plenty of snuggles and feeding sessions going on! This is where a rocking chair or glider comes in handy. It gives you a comfortable place to sit while feeding, and the rocking motion helps soothe your baby. And even after your baby passes the age of bottle-feeding or breastfeeding, you can use the chair for reading, rocking, or late-night cuddling!
Also Check: How To Apply For Child Tax Credit For Newborn
What You Don’t Need
You need a lot of stuff for a baby from the time theyre a newborn to the time theyre six months old. Heres a checklist of the things you dont need either because theyre dangerous, theyre not age appropriate, or you simply dont need them.
- A crib bumper. Crib bumpers are dangerous, period. Theyre also unnecessary. If you dont believe us, please believe the American Academy of Pediatrics on this subject. If youre in an ongoing debate with your spouse about a bumper, you can put one on the outside of a crib as a compromise.
- A stuffed animal or Lovie. Again, do not give your infant a stuffed animal to sleep with. Go ahead and get her one, just put it on a shelf for now. Kids love lovies, but they dont care about them just yet, trust us. We wrote more on safe sleep guidelines here.
- A blanket. Please see above.
- Anything that promotes co-sleeping. Please, please see above.
- A copious amount of toys. Were all about cool baby toys. But, you just dont need a lot right now. Your baby will be much more fascinated by human faces, and given he cant move or grasp yet, showing him ordinary household objects is great entertainment for now. If you must get something, check out Loveverys Montessori-inspired subscription boxes
- Babyproofing stuff. Infants under 6 months typically dont crawl. Babyproof, just not yet youve got plenty of other stuff to worry about.
Best Baby Carrier For Back Pain
Parents give a lot of credit to Ergobaby for thinking about the comfort of moms and dads. The brands newest baby carrier, the Omni, has serious lumbar support and straps you can cross in the back, depending on what feels best for you. A baby can ride on your front or back, and no infant insert is required, even though the baby carrier can be used from infancy through toddlerhood.
Suited for: 7 to 33 poundsBuy It: ErgoBaby Omni, $180,
Read Also: How To Start Newborn Photography
How To Change Babys Diaper
To change your newborns diaper, make sure you have all supplies on hand. Then, follow these steps:
Bottles Accessories And Formula
- Five to 10 feeding bottles will do depending on your needs.
- Start with four-ounce bottles and stack up on teats with varying flow speeds.
- Choose between ready-to-use, liquid concentrate and powdered formula.
- Accessories include a bottle brush to clean off any dried milk.
- Bottles and feeding equipment should be sterilised, so buy either an electric steam steriliser, a microwave steam steriliser or a cold water steriliser.
Recommended Reading: How Much Is Health Insurance For A Newborn
Baby Items That Start With O
- Oil: Massaging your babys body can give you an excellent opportunity to establish that lovable bond with your child. Olive oil is considered a good choice for massage.
- Onesies: When it comes to purchasing items for your little ones wardrobe, dont forget to buy infant bodysuits, also called onesies. Onesies can be considered the best baby shower gift.
- On-The-Go Mobiles: This is yet another awesome essential baby items that start with o that can enhance the motor skills of the child. Baby mobiles also act as an incredible visual stimulation. These mobiles can also help to relax your baby.
- Outlet Covers: There are high chances that your little one may try to put his fingers into electrical slots in your house thats why it is imperative to use outlet covers.
Should Baby Sleep In Your Room
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that babies should room-share, or sleep in their parents rooms for at least the first 6 months of life.
They should be in their own crib, bassinet, or other separate sleep space. This may help prevent sudden infant death syndrome . Plus, your baby will be close by, making it easier to feed and comfort them.
The AAP advises against sleeping in the same bed with your newborn since it increases the risk of SIDS or injury to baby.
Your baby should also sleep on their back, which is the safest position for them. Avoid using blankets, pillows, or crib bumpers. Instead use swaddles, sleep sacks, and pajamas to keep baby warm at night.
Also Check: How Many Ml Does A Newborn Drink
Baby Items That Start With X Y Z
- Xylophones: Xylophones are considered to be very beneficial for brain stimulation in kids and its the only essential baby item that start with the letter x.
- Yarn animals: Undoubtedly, babies will get amazed by those adorable yarn animals you should buy them.
- Yellow Ducky: Who doesnt love those cute yellow ducky? Your baby will love to squeeze them while bathing.
- Zebra Toy: While playing, the various sounds produced will stimulate your babys ears. Zebra toys will impress your child.
- Zinc Oxide Ointment: Your child can easily get relief from diaper rash with the help of a Zinc Oxide Ointment.
Baby Squishy Cheeks Personalized Infant Baby Hat With Name
Theres something extra-special about personalized newborn hats, especially when they serve as newborn hospital hats perfect for those first family photos. These baby beanies come customized with your infants name and are available in multiple neutral colors.
Buy it: Starting from $8 each with personalization, Etsy.com
Also Check: How Many Ounces Per Day Newborn
Essential List Of Things To Buy Or Put On Your Registry
Although I could have sat down and written out a truly exhaustive list of every single thing you could ever need to have to care for a newborn, I dont think thats the most helpful thing I can do.
So I dug deep and narrowed down the list of absolute must have baby items to only the things that you will REGRET not getting if you dont purchase them beforehand.
These items are key as in, you will regret it if you forget them! Now that I think of it, perhaps I also need to write a post about the most forgotten baby items?! Ill put that on the list.
Okay.back to what all you need to get before your due date
I would personally put all of these on a baby registry so your friends and family can buy them for you. I find that most people LOVE getting practical things for new moms and if you have a lot of people buying for you, you need to put more items than you think on your registry.
In hindsight, I should have registered for more practical basics essential things like diapers and wipes instead of the cool gadgets that I didnt really end up using.
Its so practical to register for things that would cost you money when the baby comes, and people love getting things like this for you!
We didnt register for enough things and had to go back twice to add items because people started getting us multiples of stuff we already had because they had no clue what we wanted!
That makes no sense I know but it is honestly what happened when people ran out of things to buy.