Things You Wouldnt Think Of For A Newborn A Guide For New Moms
There are so many baby products that you could buy.
The amount of choice is completely overwhelming for new moms, right?
So how do you know what you should spend your precious baby budget on?
To make life easier for you, Ive rounded up 19 life-saving products that you might not have thought about.
Mama, these are going to make your mom life so much easier especially in that first intense week at home with baby!
First Time Mommy Essentials
- Breastfeeding tops or nursing dresses Just buy second hand ones, especially if youre not sure yet if you can breastfeed all the way. Buy something thats comfortable at home but looks decent when you have to go out at a short notice. I suggest buying 5 dresses and 5 tops then just use whatever comfortable leggings or shorts you have. You can still use this even after a few years, especially if you see yourself breastfeeding for quite some time.
- Granny panties you know those ridiculously large underwear that covers the lower part of your tummy? Trust me, you will need them, especially when you had a c-section.
- Heavy duty napkins/ maternity pads fun fact: you will still be bleeding right after giving birth so have a whole pack ready then just buy more.
- Stretch marks cream OPTIONAL I dont really know if they work but I kinda wished I tried them. Might have helped remove these awful marks on my body.
A Car Seat That Converts Into A Stroller
If carrying your car seat is not your thing or just not possible , then the Doona Infant Car Seat & Latch Base is perfect for your family. Sure, it’s pricey, but it’s an infant car seat and infant stroller in one. You no longer need to have a car seat-to-stroller converter in the trunk and moving your sleeping baby is not an issue. Plus, if you’re hopping in a taxi or Uber, you can buckle this car seat directly in without a base, making it the perfect option for car-less families, too.
Read Also: How To Lay A Newborn To Sleep
Best Biodegradable Baby Wipes
Bum Boosa Baby WipesIf eco-friendly, renewable wipes are high on your must-have list, these Bum Boosa cloth wipes fit the bill: Theyre made from 100 percent biodegradable bamboo fiber. Their plant-based formulawhich includes soothing calendula, chamomile and aloe veragoes easy on tender tushies. Lavender and sweet orange essential oils make them smell great too.
Buy it: $25 for 480 wipes,
How To Save Money On The Baby Essentials
Preparing for your babys arrival can quickly become expensive. If youre trying to stick to a budget, take a look at the tips below. They can help you save money while still getting everything you need to be prepared for delivery day.
- Create a registry before your baby shower, and put all the baby essentials on the list.
- Ask for baby essentials as gifts for your birthday or Christmas.
- Check with family, friends, and colleagues for hand-me-down baby essentials.
- Have a look at thrift stores to get the larger baby essentials, like furniture and strollers, for cheap.
While purchasing all the newborn baby essentials may be pricey, it doesnt even compare to the joy and fulfillment of giving birth and bonding with your baby. You cant put a price tag on love!
Start with the basics like a crib, diapers, Cleansing Wipes, and Gentle Cleansing Gel then go from there. With this baby essentials shopping list, youll have everything you need to be fully prepared for your little ones arrival!
Get tips, news
Recommended Reading: What Is The Best Formula Milk For Newborn
How To Choose Smart Essentials For Newborns
Buying for a newborn? Look for items that can save you time or space or both.
- All-in-one suits with foot covers and built-in scratch mittens: Save time searching the nursery for tiny scratch mittens there always seems to be one missing when you need them!
- Colourful cotton body suits: Choose ones that can be worn for playtime as well as sleep, meaning no need to have designated sleepwear.
- As well as being beneficial to baby’s sleep, wool-filled bedding can regulate your babies tempertature and help them to fall asleep faster.
- Plenty of bibs: There’s seemingly no limit to the number of bibs one baby can get through in a day. Save yourself extra washing by stocking up on extra bibs
If You Are Using A Crib:
- Approved crib and crib mattress
- 3 waterproof mattress covers
- 4 light blankets that fit in the crib
- Sleep sack
- Firm mattress
- 4 fitted cribsheets
- 3 waterproof pads to place under baby
- Light comforter
- Sleep sack
- Approved infant safety seat for car
- Stroller that reclines so newborn can lie flat
- Nail clippers or scissors
- Bulb syringe for suctioning mucous
- Baby thermometer
- Eye dropper or medicine spoon
- Medication in case of fever
- Baby monitor
- Change table
- Rocking chair for feeding and swaddling
Read Also: What Causes Stomach Pain In Newborn Babies
Diapers And Diaper Bag
You might have confusion among cloth and disposable diapers. There is no exact answer since each family should decide what works best.
Stock up the diapers or the cloth. Your baby will be pooping with every meal and definitely, six diapers will be wet each day.
Make sure the bag is with a tight-fitting and also it should give space for:
Bag for a dirty diaper
Babys going home outfit
Summer Contoured Changing Pad
Sure, you can get a changing table or you can put a simple pad on top of a dresser. The budget-friendly Summer Contoured Changing Pad can be wiped clean, comes with a safety belt, is contoured to help prevent baby from rolling, and has crazy-good reviews. Just be sure that you thoroughly secure it to the surface you choose , and NEVER leave your LO on it unattended.
Recommended Reading: Why Is My Newborn Fussy After Eating
Bottles Accessories And Formula
- Five to 10 feeding bottles will do depending on your needs.
- Start with four-ounce bottles and stack up on teats with varying flow speeds.
- Choose between ready-to-use, liquid concentrate and powdered formula.
- Accessories include a bottle brush to clean off any dried milk.
- Bottles and feeding equipment should be sterilised, so buy either an electric steam steriliser, a microwave steam steriliser or a cold water steriliser.
Best Hypoallergenic Baby Wipes
Pampers Sensitive Baby WipesSometimes a big name brand is popular for good reason. Take Pampers, which certainly knows its way around baby bums. These baby wipes couldnt be more mildtheyre dermatologist-tested, perfume-free, hypoallergenic and help restore the skins natural pH. Twenty percent thicker than regular Pampers wipes, theyre also heavy lifters.
Buy it: $7 for 168 wipes, CVS
Up & Up Sensitive Skin Baby WipesAvailable only at Target, these hypoallergenic baby wipes are one of the best bargains around, but they dont skimp on quality. Let us count the ways. Theyre soft and durable. They have no chemicals, fragrance, alcohol or preservatives. Plus, theyre manufactured in facilities that are free of nuts, gluten and wheat processing.
Buy it: $5 for 192 wipes, Target
Bloom Baby Jumbo Sensitive WipesBig wipes mean fewer swipes per job. These big boys not only have babys bottom covered, theyre also specially formulated with all natural ingredients to gently clean, protect and nourish delicate skin.
Buy it: $31 for 640 wipes,
Baby Dove Rich Moisture Baby Wipes
These hypoallergenic baby wipes are made for the hands and face, but they pull double-duty, since they can be used for newborns teeny tushies as well. Alcohol-free, fragrance-free and highly moisturizing, these wipes earned a 2017 National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance.
Buy it: $5 for 30 wipes,
You May Like: How Often To Give Newborn A Bath
A Car Seat You Can Carry Over Your Shoulder
Sure, you might have an infant car seat on your registry, but can you pick it up and wear it over your shoulder to carry your baby into a store? The Maxi-Cosi Coral XP Car Seat is the first of its kindit has both a base to live in the car and a removable inner carrier that weighs just 5-lb. This carrier has a body strap so you can easily bring Baby with you, even if he is fast asleep, as you leave the car.
Pandaear Cute Waterproof Silicone Baby Bibs For Babies And Toddlers
Were obsessed with silicone baby bibs that feature catch-all trays. Based on these toddler bibs incredible reviews, so are other parents! The waterproof pockets are extra-wide so liquids dont spill out. They also have super-secure button fasteners thatll withstand your tots tugging.
Buy it: Starting from $9 for a set of 2,
You May Like: What Temperature For Newborn Bath
Baby Essentials For Playing
- Waterproof padded mat/ playmat so you can place your newborn anywhere and if they pee or poop on it, clean-up would be a breeze. Can also be used for them to exercise and play on, until they get a little older. Buy something bigger, a size where you can imagine them practicing how to roll around, crawl, and walk on.
- Baby bouncers/ swings/ rockers OPTIONAL but helpful to have. Useful to have to keep your hands free or when hate sleeping in their crib
- Crib mobile toy OPTIONAL but it did help me entertain and distract my baby from crying, enough for me to take a 5 min bath/ poop.
- Baby toys OPTIONAL but helpful in their development. Now this will depend on your taste but I suggest getting something thats safe for the baby to suck on, wont be able to swallow any parts of it and easy to clean. Other than that, anything should be fine.
Report This Adnewborn Necessities For Feeding
- 7 milk bottles Yes, youll need this many if youre solely going to rely on formula milk. If not, then maybe 2 3 bottles will do, just in case, you need to leave your baby to someone else to take care of for a few hours. Consider just buying 2-3 different bottles initially. Test it out with your baby then just buy more after.
- Milk powder
- when your baby needs milk at night.
- Washcloths or old towels keep it nearby to clean up the occasional spit and vomit
I only tried to breastfeed for 2 months but if you want to commit to it, youll need the following:
Read Also: How Much Sleep Should My Newborn Get
Shop Newborn Clothing Essentials With Fauve + Co To Complete Your Clothes Checklist
We at Fauve + Co have a variety of organic clothes for newborns, as well as a variety of collections ideal for helping you to get ready for their arrival. With a range of essentials available, we are sure that you will find everything that you need to work your way through your own checklist of clothes for your newborn. If you would like to know more about who we are and what we can offer, take a look at our story and information like our FAQs and up to date blogs and News. With free shipping on orders over $100 Australia wide, we are excited to help you find all those on our mentioned above on our Clothes for Newborns checklists, as well as much more. If you have any questions about our great collections, contact us today or leave us a message online.
Chicco Corso Modular Travel System
If you want to buy a car seat and stroller in one fell swoop, a travel system is the way to go. These come with said car seat and stroller, as well as a car seat base, ensuring that all the parts are conveniently compatible so that Baby stays safe and you stay sane. You cant go wrong with a well-known, reputable brand like Chicco and their Corso Modular Travel System is one of our favorite picks.
When your babys a newborn, the carseat can click right into the stroller, and when they get older, the stroller seat can face frontward or back. There are more handy features like an adjustable footrest, a large adjustable canopy, and a handlebar, so your little one will always cruise in comfort. Plus, the stroller can be folded with one hand for easy portability. Add to that easy maneuverability and good looks to boot, and the two of you will be strolling in style no matter where the day takes you.
Don’t Miss: Why Is My Newborn Constantly Crying
Best Baby Carrier For Dad
Because its designed to fit so many body types, BabyBjorns Baby Carrier One is great for fathers and mothers to share. And with fathers having a hand in engineering the design, its no wonder the Swedish brand is committed to using #DadStories to highlight the supportive global community of men rocking this best baby carrier for dad.
Suited for: Up to 33 pounds Buy It: BabyBjorn Baby Carrier One, $152,
Best Soft Structured Baby Carrier
The Baby Tula cotton canvas baby carrier has a huge devoted mom following for good reason. This best baby carrier has a wide waistband so it feels secure on your body, a large fabric panel that keeps baby comfortably facing you and a ton of stylish patterns, with new ones rolling out all the time.
Suited for: 7 to 45 pounds Buy It: Tula Baby Carrier, $149 to $159,
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Newborn Constipation
Winter Essentials For Newborn Babies
During winter, the temperature drop makes it harder for your baby to stay warm without additional clothing. Heres a checklist for you to take care of your babys health and well-being when the mercury level drops.
- Baby quilt: You can find a variety of baby quilts in the market. They are available in various sizes, patterns and colours. Choose the ones which are soft, non-bulky and would keep your baby warm.
- Flannel sheets and blankets: Invest in good quality blankets or flannel sheets with hoods. These are ideal to wrap your newborn in and to add another cover to keep him warm.
- Full-sleeved vests: When looking for full-sized vests, go for cotton vests since they directly go on your babys skin. Wollens and sheets can then be used for an additional layer of clothing for your baby.
- Thermal wear: Depending on how cold it gets in your region, you may go for thermal pants and vests too.
- Sweater or cardigan: Sweaters and cardigans come in handy when you need a final layer for your newborn babys winter clothing. However, some wool could give your baby a rash. If it does, opt for several layers of cotton clothing along with a woollen blanket.
- Woollen caps and booties: Most sweater sets come with socks and caps for your baby to have a matching set. Wearing booties over a pair of cotton socks also provides an additional layer of clothing.