What Should You Put On The Baby Registry For Dad
Dads are an important part of your babys life. I recommend getting things that make daddy / baby bonding time special. If your husband or significant other will be helping take care of the baby, you definitely dont want to forget a rocking chair, bottles for pumped breastmilk or formula feedings, and books!
Diaper Rash Cream Or Ointment
Not all babies develop diaper rash, but the treatment is nice to have on hand. This is on the list of things youll need a constant supply of when the baby is still in diapers. I especially loved this brand > > Boudreauxs Butt Paste
Experienced mom tip: the quicker you can change your babys diaper after a poop, the less diaper rash cream youll need. The poop contact with skin is highly irritating and the cause of most diaper rashes, in my experience.
The Baby Medicine Cabinet
Discuss the use of over-the-counter medications or treatments with your doctor.
- Thermometer: There are many types available. Some doctors prefer that you use a rectal thermometer to get the most accurate temperature. A digital, plastic thermometer that you can place under your baby’s armpit may be easy for you to use for the first six months, but a rectal temperature is the most accurate in the first 3 months of life. Ear thermometers can be used after age 3 months.
- Pain reliever/fever reducer medicine: Do not use aspirin! Acetaminophen is the only pain reliever/fever reducer approved for for the first 6 months of life. Ask your pediatrician about the proper dose based on your babyâs weight.
- Teething rings to soothe teething gums.
- Small gauze squares to clean wounds.
- Cool mist vaporizer. Good for when baby has a cold.
- Pedialyte or Ricelyte to be used as directed by your child’s pediatrician for fluid replacement during diarrhea or vomiting.
- Infant sunscreen. If your baby is younger than 6 months, keep them out of the sun as much as possible. But no matter how old they are, apply a baby-friendly sunscreen if they’ll be exposed to sunlight.
Keep your baby in the shade as much as you can. Their skin is thinner and more sensitive. Cover them up with clothes and a hat, limit their time in the sun , donât let them get overheated, and get them out of the sun right away if they show any signs of sunburn or dehydration, including fussiness, redness, and excessive crying.
Recommended Reading: What Do I Need For A Newborn
My Mission For This Post Is To Help Out Overwhelmed Soon
Those first few newborn weeks will mostly be spent at home. The only time you will be leaving the house is to go to doctors appointments, maybe run some errands or go for walks. So you dont really need much when it comes to travel. I do think you need two things and an optional third.
1. Car Seat // You cant leave the hospital without an infant car seatso its a must-have, obviously. If you are having a home birth, you still need a car seat. If there is an emergency or you need to leave the house for some reason, you need a car seat right from the start.
2.Diaper Bag // I debated if I should add a diaper bag to the need list because I have yet to own an actual diaper bag for my 19-month-old and we are surviving just fine. However, you do need some kind of bag to keep diapers, wipes, change of clothes, etc when you leave the house. That bag could be a paper bag, I mean I dont recommend that , but the bottom line is you will need some kind of bag to keep your babies things in.
Optional: Stroller // I honestly dont think you need a stroller those first few newborn weeks. Personally, I never wanted to put my baby down for long periods of time. If you want to go for a walk, you can always wear your baby. The only time I would say a stroller is absolutely needed is if you had a c-section and shouldnt be carrying your baby for long periods of time. Otherwise, you could probably wait a few weeks before purchasing a stroller.
Best Overall: Halo Cotton Sleep Sack
As the holy grail of sleep sacks, Halo’s wearable blanket goes beyond expectations without breaking the bank. The under-$25 sleep sack is made of 100 percent cotton, so it’s gentle on delicate skin, and has an inverted zipper that closes from the bottom for seamless changing. Available in sizes small, medium, and large, it’s designed to leave enough room for leg movement but secure enough to stay on. “Use the weight and height guide to help for sizing, it is accurate,” one reviewer said. On chilly nights, you can add a long sleeve underneath the sleeveless design.
To buy: $22
You May Like: How To Know If Newborn Is Constipated
Baby In The Rearview: Itomoro Baby Car Mirror
This cool safety driving mirror can be placed on the center console or windshield of your car, offering a clear view of your rear facing baby so you don’t have to take your eyes off the road. It’s easy to use. All you have to do is plug the power cord into the cigarette lighter, install the LCD monitor, and you’ve got eyes on your little one. It features hi-definition night vision and 360-degree rotation, making the camera angle fully adjustable.
What Do You Actually Need For A Newborn Baby To Survive
Raising a baby requires a lot of effort, time, and resources, especially financially.
A baby register would let you add many items, but what goes on there is more than what you really need to get started with your little one.
What do babies need, you may ask? If you had to put only ten to fifteen items on my babys register, there are obvious items that would make the cut. Diapers, feeding bottles, burp cloths, and a quality baby crib are must-haves before your baby arrives.
For expectant parents, it is crucial to know what items will be most important to their babys wellbeing in the first few weeks.
It is vital to separate necessities from non-essential items that would only serve more use as your baby grows older. That way, you get to save money for heavier purchases up-front.
Stick with us till the end to see what items newborns will need after pregnancy is over. From diapers to clothes, baby gear, and other essentials, all things are taken care of.
Don’t Miss: How Often To Sponge Bathe A Newborn
Smart Temperatures: Withings Smart Thermometer
This high precision, FDA cleared, contactless smart thermometer has 16 infrared sensors to provide fast, highly accurate readings. It automatically syncs with the Thermo app via Wi-Fi to record up to eight users’ temperature histories on your smart devices, and has an extra-long two-year battery life.
Baby Essentials To Pack For The Hospital Stay
Be sure that you check the following essential items off before you head to the hospital:
- A nursing pillow
- Other breastfeeding supplies, like lanolin and nursing pads
- Scratch mittens. You may want to consider these if your baby is sent for any needle pricks or vaccines. Occasionally, babies have been known to scratch themselves during intense crying spells following uncomfortable procedures.
Take a list of everything you brought and double-check before you leave the hospital that you have everything on the list packed in the car.
Read Also: How Much Is A Newborn Photography Session
Must Have Baby Items For First Time Moms 2022
So, you scored a positive on your pregnancy test? First of all, congratulations! Having a baby is incredibly exciting, stressful, and every emotional color in between, especially if this is your first one. A common concern is being adequately prepared, which is why we’ve created this list of the best new baby tech available. We want you to have peace of mind knowing you’re fully prepared and ready to welcome your little one into the world. These are the must have baby items for first time moms.
Sound And Light Machine: Hatch Baby Rest Sound Machine
This multi-functional device combines a nightlight, sound machine, and a time-to-rise alert in one easy-to-use device that you can fully control from your smartphone. Customize color, brightness, sound, and volume level via the Hatch app. It can be programmed to turn on automatically or can be tapped on manually as needed.
Recommended Reading: How Much Formula Do You Give A Newborn
Smart Baby Swing: 4moms Mamaroo 4 Bluetooth
This high-tech baby swing features five unique motions and speeds designed to mimic soothing movement. It offers four built-in sounds, an MP3 plug-in, and an adjustable seat recline. It’s Bluetooth enabled, so you can control the motion and sound from your smart devices, and there is an AC adapter, so no batteries are required. It’s the perfect place for baby to rest, relax, and enjoy the ride as the parents get things done around the house.
Portable Breast Pump: Spectra Baby Usa S1plus Electric Breast Pump
This huge pump package features a closed system, so there’s no need to clean the narrow tubing, and it prevents airflow from expressed milk and protects baby from bacteria and mold. It has a rechargeable battery for convenience and portability â a huge plus â and you can completely customize your settings based on your own body’s response and preferences.
Also Check: How To Get My Newborn To Take A Pacifier
Diapering Essentials Checklist For Your New Baby
- Diapers: Youll want one jumbo size box of Newborn size diapers, but after that youll want to stock up with 1-2 boxes of Size 1 diapers. Most babies are not in Newborn size diapers long!
- Diaper Pail: Unless your nursery room is on the first level of your house, where you can take the diaper right to the trash can, youre going to want a diaper pail for those smelly diapers.
- Baby Wipes: You can never buy too many baby wipes! Youll need these for years to come.
- Diaper Rash Cream: One large tub of A& D.
- Changing Pad: If you plan to have a dresser or changing table for diaper changes, youll put this on top.
- Changing Pad Covers: Register for two of these, that way when one gets dirty you have a backup while the other is washing.
- Diaper Bag: You can use a traditional diaper bag or opt for a backpack! Either way, youll need one to pack and bring baby items on the go daily.
New Baby Checklist: Newborn Must Haves For An Amazing Experience
I put this list of newborn baby must haves together and ran it by several of my mom friends to make sure they agreed. I feel really confident in this list of main things you need for your 1st baby.
This list consists of infant care items that, if they are not purchased before the baby arrives, you might have to run out at a very inconvenient time to purchase when you finally realize they need or want them.
I tried to make this a top 10 post but, honestly, caring for a baby DOES require more than ten items, so I expanded my recommendations and stopped when it felt right.
Keep in mind that these are the items I recommend for your nursery. You really dont have to take much in your hospital bag because the hospital provides so much.
Youll want to bring going home outfits for you and your newborn, but you wont necessarily need to bring things like diapers or wipes.
Unless things have changed since we had our babies, the hospital provides necessities like that to get thru your hospital stay. Double check that, though, because your hospital could be different.
You may be wondering what baby registry I recommend as well. When I had my babies, all we could register for was Walmart and Babies-R-Us because most of our baby shower guests didnt have access to a Target or Amazon.
Now that Amazon is practically accessible by everyone now, for new mamas. Second to that is Target because of their simple return policy.
So now and then also create a Target one in the store
Also Check: What Pounds Are Newborn Diapers
Best For Toddlers: Tealbee Dreamsuit
This Tealbee Dreamsuit is an excellent choice for youngsters 12 months up to three years old thanks to its movement-friendly design. The open-foot sleep sack is made with two layers of bamboo cotton and lightly padded with polyester filling for extra comfort. There are two size options12M-2T and 2T-3Tand different playful prints available, including alphabet and stripes. Shoppers say it holds up after many washes, feels extremely soft, and helps prevent accidental trips.
To buy: $40
Breastfeeding Essentials For Nursing Moms
- Nipple Cream: This can also be called Nipple Butter and it will SAVE your nipples as a new mom nursing those first two weeks! Use it religiously.
- Nursing Bras: Make it easy on yourself and stock up on 2-3 nursing bras to make those frequent feedings much easier.
- Nursing Pads: Protect your nursing bras and clothing from leaking by using disposable nursing pads those first three months as your supply regulates.
- Nursing Cover: Bring this along with you for feedings while out and about.
- Breast Pump: Your health insurance should cover this for free! You can order this in month 6 or 7 of your pregnancy to ensure its shipped to your house in time.
- Haakaa Manual Pump: This is a new hack for building your freezer stash! Wear the Haakaa on your other breast to collect breast milk that wouldve otherwise leaked and been wasted.
- Breast Milk Storage Bags: If you decide to pump at any time, youll store any extra breast milk in these storage bags to freeze.
- Breast Milk Storage Bottles: If you pump and bottle feed, youll store your recently pumped milk in the refrigerator in these.
You May Like: How Much To Feed Newborn Baby Formula
Baby Mattress And Bedding
There are some rules to follow when it comes to buying a mattress for your little one. It needs to be the right size and fit into your chosen cot or crib well with no more than a 4cm gap between the mattress and cot. It needs to be at least 10cm thick too and needs to be firm so it doesnt sag or mould to your babys shape.
All mattresses should conform to the BSS and be marked somewhere with this number: BS 1877-10:1997.
When it comes to cot bedding, keep in mind that you need to buy the right size bedding for the cot mattress. For babies under a year old, its best to use a fitted flat sheet and a cellular blanket or a specially designed baby sleeping bag instead of blankets dont use duvets, quilts or pillows.